How do YOU prepare for a race?

Rusinque

Barefooters
Jan 19, 2012
houston, texas
So, How do YOU prepare for a race? Title says it all.

I would like to know, because I plan on running a 21k trail marathon. I have never run that far in an official race. And I have to no idea what to get and how to plan for it.
Maybe you can put food and medical care in a fanny pack thing and carry a water bottle. Then maybe VFF or Huaraches strapped to your fanny pack.

With much detail as possible please. Thank you.

Rusinque, I'm maybe not the best of examples, but here are my prep anchors:
- I get a good night's sleep.
- I don't eat or drink stupidly the night before. I eat pretty much normal food.
- I try to be absolutely positive I know where and when the race takes place, and give myself a margin of grace for relaxing and bathroom stuff. Being late or lost sucks!
- (Depending on when and where your race is, you're probably looking at a couple hours of running.) You won't need to eat much during that short a race, I think.
- I don't know what you'll have underfoot, but I don't do trail races barefoot. I'm a shoes as tools guy, and racing strange rough ground can be dangerous!
- I only carry water if it's really hot and there aren't water stations on the course. 12 miles isn't that far, IMO, and water's heavy.
- I make a big point of enjoying the experience. Every race is a treasure and a rare priviledge. Appreciate it! (Trail races 2x!)

BTW, where and when is this race?

Sunday. March 11th I believe. Or it could be the sunday after. Not sure.
HA! You sound like me...I never know when or where my races are! Might be a symptom of signing up for too many in my case. ;)
Anyway ditto everything JosephTree said. Often a race's website will have really good info on the details of the race. Make sure you know if you need to pick up your race packet in advance or if it's fine to pick up the day of. With smaller races usually the day of the race is fine, but you will want to arrive a little early. Bathroom lines can sometimes be long pre-race.

I run with a small backpack (training runs and races) that holds a pair of socks, my hauraches, salt tablets, arnica pellets, tissue, goo, energy bar, cough drop, chapstick, a few dollars, my MP3 player, gum, and keys (if I drove to running location). I obviously don't use all of these things each run, but just keep my bag packed and re-stock as needed. I also run with a handheld water bottle filled with Recharge that has a compartment that holds my cell phone. If I am running more than 15 miles I will carry a disposable water bottle in my backpack...although I live in a very hot, dry climate.

Is that enough detail? :)
I'm doing a half marathon trail race on 3/11 so perhaps we'll both be running that morning? Have fun at your race!
Sarah

i sign up.
i wake up, earlier than normal if i have to do my business.
drink some green tea and walk my dog.
maybe have a shake.
get there early, sometimes, meet up and get packet if i don't have it.
freak people out cuz i'm bf, even on trails, race.
drink beer and hang out.

the night before i try not to be out too late or drink too much. i never skip any meals which are whatever is available.

Reactions: jldeleon
I live in Uruguay.
There is a 10k the 11th(street) and if the trail run is the same day, ill do the trail instead. And if not, Ill run both.
Ive never used gels or creams or anything of that nature. Gatorade is the farthest ive gotten lol. Should I use a gel? I still have under a week til any race.

I don't prepare really. Races are just like any other run to me. But then again, I'm not into actual racing -they are just for fun to me!

Hey Rusinque - I'm curious, will this also be the furthest you've ever run? Have you gone past the 21k mark before? (also, just to be dogmatic: 21k is a half marathon ;) )

Other than that, what Joseph and others have said. It's really important that you get there early enough to get all your business done beforehand and can stand comfortably and relaxed on the start line.

Also, don't go out too fast at the start. About what kind of time are you expecting? Is it very hilly? What'll the temps be like?

I live in Uruguay.
There is a 10k the 11th(street) and if the trail run is the same day, ill do the trail instead. And if not, Ill run both.
Ive never used gels or creams or anything of that nature. Gatorade is the farthest ive gotten lol. Should I use a gel? I still have under a week til any race.

I just started using goos and it was much by mistake. At most races or expos you get free goos so over time I had collected a decent sized stash of freebies. One day while I was doing a long run I ran out of water and was feeling pretty depleted. I happened to have a goo in my bag that I had gotten at a recent race. I decided to give it a try because I was still pretty far from home. It did seem to provide a burst of energy (or maybe it was all in my mind?) but either way since then I carry one with me just in case. I have only used them a handful of times, but I like knowing I have one available if needed.

I know a lot of runner's don't take in any food/calories for half marathons, but I over time I have realized that it works better for me if I do. Training runs are a good time to experiment with different things to see what works for you. :)

Sarah

Hey Rusinque - I'm curious, will this also be the furthest you've ever run? Have you gone past the 21k mark before? (also, just to be dogmatic: 21k is a half marathon ;) )

Other than that, what Joseph and others have said. It's really important that you get there early enough to get all your business done beforehand and can stand comfortably and relaxed on the start line.

Also, don't go out too fast at the start. About what kind of time are you expecting? Is it very hilly? What'll the temps be like?

About 30k? Im not exactly sure the exact number, but over 25k for sure. This was a few weeks ago and I didnt know exactly where I was going, I just felt like running.

Im just expecting to finish the race. Sub 2 would be nice. I saw pictures and it looks fairly flat. Its not a huge mountain or anything like that. Temp about 23C, thats what forcast says. Cloudy. But those things are never right.

Im actually doubting wether I should do 10k or 21k. 42 is also an option. Im thinking that I can do the 10k and if I feel good, I can continue to 21.

I
-Eat a banana, maybe 2 bananas.
-Drink some fluids, usually water.
-listen to some good psych up music like Toto
-Get there early.
-Look for cute spandex
-Watch cute spandex once found
-wait, what was the question?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members