How do you do your chia?

thanks so much for typing

thanks so much for typing that all up and sharing with us Alan. I'll add the ingredients to my grocery list and make it next week.

I've used chia gel on my long

I've used chia gel on my long runs which I really liked. I grabbed some of the 3 oz. disposable travel bottles from Target and filled them out. They work pretty well - all you have to do is screw off the top and squeeze.

I'm debating about making my next batch of gel with Gatorade instead of water to see how that tastes/works.

The frozen peanut butter/chia balls I made aren't too bad actually....need to have water handy though.

You're welcome!One typo that

You're welcome!

One typo that need sot be corrected, though... It should read "hulled sunflower seeds" rather than "unhulled sunflower seeds."

Alan

haha, I sort of figured

haha, I sort of figured Alan

Adam, pretty cut and dry. No messing around there LOL

frozen pb/chia balls? I've made it with gatorade before, it's good.

mmmm... CHIA! So, where is

mmmm... CHIA!

So, where is the best spot to purchase Chia that you all have found????

Is the price going up with the demand? 'o)

I'm almost out of chia, and I

I'm almost out of chia, and I haven't reordered online yet. Yikes! What shall I do without any chia?!

No one here sells the dark

No one here sells the dark seeds locallly. I did find the white seeds, but Dama said to get the dark seeds, for some reason.

I like Chia Fresca:2.5

I like Chia Fresca:
  • 2.5 liters of water
  • Add 6 teaspoons of chia seeds (let set for several minutes and shake well as seeds absorb water)
  • Squeeze 5 or 6 limes
  • Add 6 teaspoons of sugar (I usually use raw cane sugar or blue agave syrup to taste)
All the amounts are to taste.

Seeds can also be added to water without anything else.

I order from The Raw Food

I order from The Raw Food World through Amazon SHH

TJ, are you coping w/o your chia?:p

I've got to find some time to

I've got to find some time to actually order the stuff, Zum. I'm so busy with the BRS stuff, I've let go of other things I should have given more attention to...like my hubby's birthday is tomorrow, and I was just reminded by my mother this afternoon! Yikes! I must really love this BRS stuff.

uh oh TJ! Thank goodness for

uh oh TJ! Thank goodness for Moms :)

I know what you mean though when our passions take the wheel, it's hard to prioritize and make sure to let the other things in our lives hold the wheel from time to time. It's a hard balance. I'll be your daily reminder to get yourself some seeds ;)

I've been doing 2tbs of each

I've been doing 2tbs of each chia seeds, agave and lime juice to 1 cup of water. I drink half of it after each run as a recovery aid since my runs are still short.

I am definitely going to add it to granola though. Hadn't even thought about adding it to food. lol

Cali, I was just going to pop

Cali, I was just going to pop on here to retrieve the chia granola recipe :) Glad you found this thread, I haven't made the granola yet but it's on my to do list.

Some people believe that chia

Some people believe that chia seeds somehow give us extra energy. That is what Christopher McDougall leads us to believe in his book Born to Run. I've done some reading on this though, and what I summarize is an indirect effect. The chia seeds absorb the liquids you take in (like a sponge since they expand as they absorb liquid) allowing you to hold onto that liquid longer therefore preventing dehydration from setting on too quickly. When our muscles are without hydration, they fatigue quickly and lose energy.

I buy mine from

I buy mine from http://www.superseeds.ca/. The SuperSeeds site has pages describing Benefits, Nutrition, Recipes (including GRANOLA), etc. They point out that Chia has:
- 6x more calcium than milk
- 7x Vitamen-C than oranges
- 3x antioxident than blueberries
- 3x more Iron than spinach
- 2.5x more vegetable protein than Kidney Beans (20-23% protein by weight)
- 8x more Omega-3 fatty acid than salmon
- 15x more Magnesium than Brocolli
- almost tasteless so can be added to almost anything

A good Iskiate (Chia Fresca) drink recipe is:
- 8 oz (1 cup) water
- 2.0-2.5 teaspoons of Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- Mix water, sugar, and juice
- Add Chia Seeds, shake or stir
- chill 10-15 mins, stir,serve

I copied the above from my Chia Post on my Blog

yep, exactly what TJ and

yep, exactly what TJ and Barry said. I actually bought them a year ago before even reading Born to Run, for my daughter. She was diasnosed with adhd and I started researching ways to get her lots of extra brain boosters, omega 3 fatty acids (that convert readily to dha especially) and chia came up. It's also got anti-inflammatory effects to helps with general aches and pains, awesome for hydration, good source of fiber..just good stuff.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts