Honolulu Olympic Tri Race Report (And Photo Blogs of Hyperbole!)

I love this report Doug.  You

I love this report Doug. You did a great job considering all of the crap you had to go through. Reading about your races always makes me want to work on my speed. If you're knocking out 8:30 min/miles after swimming and biking, I have a long way to go. Right now I have a feeling if I did a tri, I would come in last in my age group.

One question:  Shaved or

One question: Shaved or waxed?

I wasn't talking about there,

I wasn't talking about there, SP! I was talking about his legs! Did you see his pictures of his legs? Ha! Get your mind out of the gutter, as usual. :bigsmile:

SP- Thanks! I really enjoy

SP- Thanks! I really enjoy racing. It gives me a great reason to train. But I have fun doing all of it too.

TJ- Clippers and then a razor. And now some wicked burn on my thighs.

So, feeling the itch from the

So, feeling the itch from the regrowth yet, or have you decided to stay bare?

Good race DB...way to hang on

Good race DB...way to hang on the bike!!

Your a fish in the water, you pushed the bike and let the run take care of itself...thats good pacing for Oly distance.

Thanks everyone! I've got to

Thanks everyone! I've got to find another Oly, but the upcoming races are all Sprints. I'll find something. Couple more Olys then I'll go looking for a Half IM.

TJ- I'm feeling the super itch. The wife calls me Fuzzband and now giggles at the very obvious spiky-to-fur line at mid-thigh. So I'm going to let it grow back. Maybe when I find another Big Goal race I'll do it again.

Was it worth it?  Did you

Was it worth it? Did you find it helped to shave your legs?

I did it a few times in high

I did it a few times in high school for big swim meets and my opinion hasn't changed. I think shaving down is 98% mental. If this were a 50 or 100m sprint then the drag caused by the hair might have some effect, when the race is down to tenths of a second. But in a 2:30 race, no, it doesn't make you physically faster. Cyclists shave down too and their reasons are that when/if you crash gravel doesn't get caught in the hair and make it worse. Also because it makes the post-race massage easier.

But in my opinion a massive part of racing is mental. And shaving down is one of those things you can do that makes the race special and different and real. It's a way of telling your mind and body, "Ok, this is a serious thing. We are taking extra steps to be as prepared as possible." For me, it helped get my head in the game the day before the big event. So The Itch now is worth it.

...and my legs are damned sexy.

And shaving down is one of

And shaving down is one of those things you can do that makes the race special and different and real. It's a way of telling your mind and body, "Ok, this is a serious thing..."

Okay, I get that. Makes sense.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts