Hello from the UK

Andy Tomlin

Barefooters
Oct 15, 2011
Newmarket, UK
Hey!

I guess one or two of you might recognise me from RW. I'm not a fan of over-zealous moderation, so after lurking for a while, I think I'll try and post a bit more here and a bit less on RW...

For those of you that don't know me: My name is Andy, I'm a 26 year old chap from the UK. I've been a cyclist and swimmer for most of my life but with extended periods of extreme inactivity (due to computer game addiction). I started running to drop some weight but found an upper limit of 5km in marshmallow shoes before my lower back and arches were on fire. I had a gait analysis in a running shop which showed a heavy degree of over-pronation in shoes. They suggested I went up and up and up on arch support until it felt like I was standing on £150 cheese wedges. I walked out and went home to do some research.

It didn't take long to stumble across BF running and now I'm 24/7 minimalist or barefoot. Most of my running now is in VFFs as it's either cold, wet or trails, but I got up to about 7.5km BF in the summer/autumn. I'm lined up for a couple of 10km races and a HM in March and try to make a weekly 5km race in my local country park.

Looking forward to getting to know the personalities on this board a bit better =)

Welcome to the dark side,

Welcome to the dark side, Andy. There are indeed some personalities here. You may even recognize some of them from RW through their thinly-veiled disguises/aliases. It sounds like you haven't been barefoot for too long, but are doing very well at it and enjoying it thoroughly, as most of us do. There are also many of us BFRers who use VFFs or other "shoes as tools" to deal with difficult terrain or weather when we must, along with some BF purists who generally tolerate the rest of us mere mortals.

Glad to have you with us. Enjoy!

ANDY!!!! Welcome! Glad to

ANDY!!!! Welcome!

Glad to see you found your way!

Welcome, Andy!  We try not to

Welcome, Andy! We try not to mention "that other place" too much around here. ;-) Hee.

It's getting crowded in

It's getting crowded in here. We're going to have to move again. ;-)

Welcome Andy!  What part of

Welcome Andy! What part of your island do you live on? My wife and her family are from Wiltshire. They have some nice running trails thereabouts.

I'm originally from London,

I'm originally from London, but moved up to near Cambridge for work. I'm generally more of a road runner, but there's some awesome MTB trails in Thetford forest which I'm determined to run in the Spring =)

NotSoDoomedRunner

NotSoDoomedRunner said:
Everyone is moving on over!

Yeah, and their all complaining about moderation in other places... Very strange.... See if yall can recruit some more lol!

Welcome to the board Andy. I

Welcome to the board Andy. I "know" you from the other board simply from lurking over there. I've only been around for a couple of months but have noticed more and more people coming on board from other sites. I think that TJ just has that pull on people! 0:)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7