Hello from Orange, California, where "the trails are fine with dust and rocks"

That's a quote from a sort of "music video" I made with the help of some friends; it's on YouTube, with closed captioning by Barefoot Ken Bob (thanks!).

I take photos and write stuff about barefoot hiking and trail running at "Barefoot Wandering and Writing."

Reading other barefoot blogs (and watching barefoot videos) has been a hugely educational and inspirational part of my learning process these last couple of years; I hope my online offerings can do a bit of the same for others.

Happy Trails!

Thea

Reactions: Sid and barefootn
Welcome, Thea, we're glad to have you here.

Hi Thea,

I stumbled across your blog when I searched Grand Canyon and Barefoot together. Just read a few of your recent entries. So when will you be in the Grand Canyon? I plan to be in Flagstaff from October 17-20th and my goal date to try the Rim to Rim barefoot will be October 19th.

Welcome to the group.

Rick W.

I use the toe warmers and hand warmers all of the time in the winter for work. Grabber is the best brand.

Although October is cold on the North Rim, I don't think you will need toe warmers. How are they going to stay on? Do you want to pack them out for 24 miles? I know they don't weigh much, but any extra weight on the uphill you will feel. I started out last year with a hat, gloves, and a headlamp and I was taking them off after 10 minutes. I think you will be fine. A little uncomfortable at the start, but it won't last long. What time in the morning will you start? Heat in the bottom of the canyon might be a concern for being barefoot.

Another consideration might be traffic. If you go on the 13th, that is the Saturday of closing weekend of the North Rim. The trail will be busy that weekend and that adds a lot of time to your hike. Then again, seeing lots of people and getting high fives from the ultra runners is kind of cool.

Here is a thread I started that some of the Arizona guys posted some advice:http://thebarefootrunners.org/threa...canyon-bf-attempt-in-october.7128/#post-73597

My plan is South to North by using S. Kaibab to N. Kaibab, with the side trip to Ribbon Falls. My biggest concerns are the weather and my foot recovery since this hike will be two weeks after a marathon.

I would love to discuss other concerns with you and what you are doing to prep for your hike.

Thanks Joseph! I'm glad you like "The Barefoot Song" music video-- as you could probably tell, I'm just a bit obsessed with taking pictures of my bare feet out on the trails . . .

And thanks Rick, for your advice as well as the question about "what am I doing to prep for the [R2R] hike?"

You got me thinking--resulting in a list of hikes (now on a blog post) that has helped strengthen my mental fortitude for the endeavor: Heck yeah, I'm ready :)

(But I still appreciate advice! I really need to re-think my "packing list" still!)

I hope to hike on Friday, the 12th, and avoid some of the Saturday traffic. I like the idea of high-fiving people though :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway