Hello from Little Foot

Little Foot

Barefooters
Apr 26, 2014
Returning to running after 15 years cycling. Grew tired of power, heart rate and Garmins and powermeter software.

At 56 and overweight I'm finding it hard going but really enjoying running again. A tremendous relief to be free of all the gadgets and numbers. Enjoying the minimalist approach to training entirely by feel.

I'm running in Merrill trail shoes which are very light and just have a very thin hard sole with no cushioning. Due to the amount of broken glass and dog sh!t on the pavements and paths and parks in England these days I'm not really able to go bare foot.

I dog walk for an hour every day and am reasonably fit from cycling but probably due to weight my pace is very slow. I'm really at the limit of my breathing capacity as soon as there is an upward slope.

I just completed my 3rd run. Did 30 minutes. About my limit.

Anyway, hello everyone.

Welcome!

Hey Little Foot and welcome! Great to meet another UK member :)

I'm just a couple of years younger than you and cycle on my non-running days - trying to be very careful not to push big gears as it knackers my knees - i find the twice weekly cycling and a once or twice a week uphill walk improves my cardio for running.

More rural here so i only have cow, sheep and rabbit poo to wash off my feet after my barefoot runs :barefoot:

Welcome!

Welcome, LF. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you've struck on a good plan, just take it slow and steady, rest when you need to, and you'll be running more comfortably in no time. I'd encourage you to try BF whenever you can (just watch really closely where you step); it really will help you get your minimal running form ingrained into muscle memory. I run both BF and minimally shod, but the BF runs are always more fun. Enjoy!

Reactions: dharmadan
Welcome, LF. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you've struck on a good plan, just take it slow and steady, rest when you need to, and you'll be running more comfortably in no time. I'd encourage you to try BF whenever you can (just watch really closely where you step); it really will help you get your minimal running form ingrained into muscle memory. I run both BF and minimally shod, but the BF runs are always more fun. Enjoy!
What makes you still run shod also then? Just curious..

Not unless you feel like you're cheating yourself. Shoes are tools. I don't always use fire, but it sure comes in handy for cooking and heating. I don't totally give it up even though I don't want it to be part of my life 24/7. I look at shoes the same way. Others here on our fair site are more purists, and some even run shod (if minimally) full time; you can decide for yourself what works best for you.

Learning initially worked best BF for me, helping me cement my form into muscle memory. I still enjoy BF tremendously and try to get at least 1 or 2 BF runs in each week, but I also have some running buddies who run significantly faster than I can safely maintain BF, particulary over some sections of road and trail, so I use my VFFs when it's prudent.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
At 56 and overweight ...
... I just completed my 3rd run. Did 30 minutes. About my limit.

Easy does it there, mate. There's not really any good to achieve by pushing right to your limit, especially early in the process. Pay maximum attention to your feet and legs for awhile to make sure you're not stressing them too much too early. Every piece of your "instrument" probably has significant development to do, and your lungs and cardio systems may not be the limiting factor. With shoes on you can over run fairly easily.

Good luck and enjoy the spring!

Btw, where are you in the UK?

Reactions: Phil Hart
Welcome LF,

Echoing DNEchris, Joseph Tree and Phil Hart, keep it fun and do sample skin-to-ground -- TOTALLY transformed the experience of running for me.

Cheers and to your health!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7