Heat Blisters

paintboy

Barefooters
Jun 12, 2011
So apparently really hot pavement can cause blisters. Picked up a couple really big ones yesterday and a few little ones. Guess its vff or lunas until they heal and perhaps I'll reconsider my hot day running plans. :)

Yes, hot surfaces are dangerous. Also, surfaces that cause a lot of friction cause the same problem - had to make that experience myself playing capoeira yesterday... You might be able to (slowly) adapt though.

Last summer here in roasting-hot Austin, Texas, I thought I'd do my regular 8-mile walk barefoot. After 1/4 mile, my feet hurt too much from the hot sidewalks, so I put on sandals. A month later, much of my calluses pealed off because of that short walk.

Get a good coating of olive oil on your feet before you run, that'll help...wait, on second thought, don't do that.

Reactions: NickW
Yes, hot surfaces are dangerous. Also, surfaces that cause a lot of friction cause the same problem - had to make that experience myself playing capoeira yesterday... You might be able to (slowly) adapt though.

AAaahhh.....capoeira.....Miss that soooo much. One way to really get your feet conditioned with all the ginga.
:barefoot:

I will actually lotion up my feet before a run in the 90s...the night before at a minimum. They get so dry when it's hot out. I'll probably pick up a small bottle of lotion I can take in my Amphipod water belt for runs > 8mi.
Last year, when I was still pretty new to barefooting, I hardly ever saw the sun while running in the summer and preferred early morning cause the pavement was still pretty toasty at dusk. As long as I was off the pavement by 11am-ish on my morning runs/races, though, I was ok. This year, with more experience under my belt, I seem to be a little more aclimated to the hot pavement, but I'm not too proud to take to the grass along my runs when I encounter darker pavement...then again, It's not really full on "summer" here in Dallas just yet and we don't have a lot of black top...just concrete... :eek: The humidity making my lungs feel empty has been a bigger issue for me.

Be safe!...ish! :D

-Jonny

Gosh, I feel your pain! Florida is getting hot, too. Last week I was fixing the sprinklers and stepped off the white concrete onto the black asphalt in the middle of the day. My feet felt like they were sizzling. Even though my feet were wet from the sprinklers, I couldn't stay on the blacktop for more than a few seconds. I prefer running on asphalt, but there's just no way during the day.

:-( I had to mow my grass with shoes one yesterday. My feet haven't healed enough yet to push a mower. 25 years of barefoot mowing down the drain. I need a tissue

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon