Harvard on the Move running walking program.

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
Harvard on the Move, a new initiative sponsored by President Drew Faust (from left), kicked off with a panel discussion at Sanders Theatre on Jan 26. Panelists included Daniel Lieberman, professor of human evolutionary biology and department chair of human evolutionary biology in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Christopher McDougall ’85, author of "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen," and John Ratey, an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.

The event kicked off a running and walking program designed to build community and fitness among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the community. The program, sponsored by President Drew Faust and coordinated by the Center for Wellness, will include weekly runs and walks open to the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWk5-L6zD4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

012611_OnTheMove_160_605.jpg

Thats a really interesting

Thats a really interesting video. I like the relationship between running and depression. I knew I felt better when I got out every other day but didnt realize everyone who runs did too.

Yes it is all interesting.

Yes it is all interesting. Prescription for depression is to go running. Makes sense to me. The link to academic scores and regular exercise is also interesting. My kids only have 1.5 hours of PhE a week.

Hopefully the Harvard program will lead someday to changes in public education.

I believe the program will have stunning results. Maybe.

We got a shout out by Dr.

We got a shout out by Dr. Irene Davis at the Newton Natural Running Seminar. Yeah!

I really enjoyed the talk. 

I really enjoyed the talk. Damn, they're civilized there at Harvard. I'd love to look down on the elitist pigs and all that, but they really do seem to have a great idea and want to follow through with it. I'm sorry they couldn't have worked a reference to the BRS into it somehow. Oh, well - next time, maybe.