Foot and bone adaptation

stvwebphoto

Barefooters
Sep 1, 2011
I have been running for 15 years now in regular shoes and I have recently discovered barefoot running. From my research I have been going slowly since the beginning (about a month now). I have noticed that my feet are getting wider and the space between the toes is increasing (spreading out). I have read and heard online that this is natural and the bones and tendons in the feet will spread out to where they should naturally be and as a result some discomfort will occur. Other than a few blisters here and there, everything has been going great. I live in a small rural town and the roads are anything but ideal for barefoot, at least starting out. Last weekend I invested in a pair of VFF KSO's and so far really love them. I wore them to work and walked around the office in them all day. (I sit in front of a computer all day and walk to copier, bathroom, etc, etc.)When I got home and took off the VFF's I noticed a slight swelling in both of my feet, nothing major, just a puffiness. I had a slight dull ache in my right foot nothing that altered my stride or anything, more of a nagging discomfort. As a precaution I wore regular shoes the next two days and iced my feet in the evenings, and the slight swelling went away. My feet are feeling really good, and I am wearing my VFF's to work again today to see if the swelling comes back or not. I was able to do a 1/2 mile run this morning with zero pain or discomfort

I am wondering if the dull ache and minimal swelling is a result of my feet and bones adapting to this new barefoot world? It seems logical that this would happen, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. As I said before, I'm taking everything slow and steady forcing myself not to just ramp it up. Could someone give me an overview on what transformations happen over the course of transitioning to barefoot running and if the symptoms I have described are perfectly normal or not. I'm looking forward to re-discovering running through this barefoot/minimalist technique, so far so good!

I'm not a doctor, so we'll

I'm not a doctor, so we'll let them chime in...

You've described a lot of changes to your feet for only a month of zero drop living, not to say it's not possible.

Just be careful to keep the velcro strap as loose as you can. You don't want to have that adding pressure to the tops of your feet. It could be that you need to go up a size in VFFs too. I mean our feet swell naturally throughout the day and as we run, so maybe yours is doing the same, but the VFFs are too constricting and not allowing them the room they need.

Welcome, Stv!

Thanks for the response TJ. 

Thanks for the response TJ. Amazing as it sounds, I have noticed some pretty big changes so far. After reading your post, I have eased the pressure of the straps and that helped the swelling, I still had some, but nothing like the first time. The pain on top of my foot was still there through yesterday (Sat.) I couldn't figure it out, no trauma, no redness, swelling, etc. but it hurt when I moved my foot a certain way. Then all of the sudden it was completely gone, no pain whatsoever. I am attributing this to a pinched nerve in my foot, which now in hindsight makes sense. The pain never did feel like an injury, more of a discomfort. So anyway, I am back on track and glad to be rid of the pain. Anyone else experiencing similar symtoms might entertain the thought that they may have a pinched nerve, it sure seems like that was the case with me :)

Steve

Transitioning to barefoot

Transitioning to barefoot takes awhile really....there are all kinds of aches and pains you could get or not get....its just different for each runner. There may not be an exact cause for a certain ache or pain other than your just not adapted yet.

The best advise is just to make a very slow gradual buildup on the miles and speed, there is no way to know the exact right way until you build up your own self awareness and that takes a bit of time.

I took both pairs of Vibrams

I took both pairs of Vibrams I own and cut off the tops. There is a distinct line and stitching that take the shoes all the way near the ankle - and I just took a pair of scissors and opened that up! feels great, except, after thinking I had walked around in these shoes for months before running in them, I got my first stress fracture of my life (running now for 35 years or so) in my fourth metatarsal. I did have foot surgery last December and I think I did not spend enough time rehabbing the foot before I started back. So, here I am, waiting for another x-ray in just under 3 weeks.

Go slowly and even if you are a vibram wearer, take some time to walk barefoot.

Stephanie

Welcome, Stephanie.I think

Welcome, Stephanie.

I think the problem we are finding is that most people aren't allowing for the proper adjustment period to pass before heading out to run in minshoes. In minshoes, they continue to run at the same distances and speeds they had in traditonal running shoes. But because their musculoskeletal system has been weakened by years of wearing overly controlling, overly cushioned, etc., shoes, they are more likely to experience stress fractures (and other injuries) than someone who ditches the shoes cold turkey and allows their plantar skin to take them only as far and as fast as they are ready to go. That's not to say this applies to everyone, but it does apply to most of us. That's why it's is so important to progress slowly over short distances (in minshoes or barefoot) to begin with than to go all out.

Your walking around in the VFFs first is a great way to help acclimate the musculoskeletal structure first. Did you wear them full-time, or did you still wear other shoes (those that weaken the feet)? How far were you running in them and how often? Were you running slower than what you were used to? Sorry about what you're going through. I know that must suck. But you will get better, so look forward to that.

Barefoot TJ - Hi No,

Barefoot TJ - Hi

No, actually I have not worn a heavy traditional shoe for the last 15 years. I have mostly trained in very light racing flats, but they still have some of the same compenents as shoes.

I do think my first ever stress fracture was a result of coming back too fast after surgery, not spending time to strengthen the big toe, some changes - dietary and otherwise...and just trying to go right back to running one hour - 90 minutes without building into this new type of shoe.

I'm not discouraged, get my x-ray tomorrow and this time will start with something like 2 x 5:00 with a break and build very slowly. I may even just walk in my vibrams for the first 1-2 weeks.

Steph

Been awhile since I checked

Been awhile since I checked in and just read your posts. After initially thinking I was having adaptation issues, I finally came to the conclusion that I also had developed a stress fracture in my right foot. I never saw a doctor, but the research I did online and the symptoms I was having pointed directly to a stress fracture. Even though I thought I was taking is slowly apparently not slow enough. I decided to layoff of running for a month and it has to heal up. I have started running again with no pain at all, and have plans to keep going taking it very slowly this time. I have been wearing my vibrams full time for the past month or so and can tell a big difference in the strength of my feet. I am able to wear them to work, so I have been wearing them instead of my regular shoes, (5 days a week on the conc floors at work and then on the weekends). My hope is that the constant wearing of them (just simple walking) will go a long way to getting used the to barefoot transition. So far so good :) Good luck Stephanie, I hope everything works out in the end.

Steve

Steve, you are right that

Steve,

you are right that the walking activity barefoot or in VFFs is the ticket to adaptation. we all walk more than we run and the adaptation occurs gradually with low impact with the walking. never run in pain....it will not "just go away"

Dr. Mark

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon