Feet

left_small.jpgright_small.jpg

Here's pics of my feet after my first 2 miles. Barefoot running the first then walking the second. I think the blisters were mostly from the last section of concrete that was very hot. I also noticed my left heel hitting harder after my fore strike. I guess my arch just has to get stronger? Should I soak my feet or just wash them? Any other tips will be appreciated. I'm pretty sure I overdid it but I was having fun.

Two miles is way too much for your first barefoot run/walk. It's okay to walk around barefoot lots before taking up barefoot running, and we encourage that. Throwing in a mile on top of mile walk though could lead to a serious injury for someone who is just starting out. Back the miles back down to about half a mile, and do that for about a week or two before you start adding in more distance. It also looks like you are pushing off from your toes and it looks like some from your right ball of foot too. Think about lifting your feet, keeping a quick turnover, and taking smaller steps. Welcome!

Yes, he is very forgettable. ;)
wow. I'm surprised CP didn't catch that comment. He has radar for this sort of thing. He'll counter by taking his shirt off.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Two miles is way too much for your first barefoot run/walk. It's okay to walk around barefoot lots before taking up barefoot running, and we encourage that. Throwing in a mile on top of mile walk though could lead to a serious injury for someone who is just starting out. Back the miles back down to about half a mile, and do that for about a week or two before you start adding in more distance. It also looks like you are pushing off from your toes and it looks like some from your right ball of foot too. Think about lifting your feet, keeping a quick turnover, and taking smaller steps. Welcome!

Okay. 1/2 mile it is. Do you or should I, land evenly across the ball of the foot? Does the Georgia chapter ever have clinics for beginners?

Some would say, yes, if you can distribute your weight evenly across the portion of the foot that you land with (mid or fore) then the better, and I agree with that for most people, but if you have a nuance to your gait, a handicap for example, then you will have to find what works for you. It's really does not require as much thought as we make it sound. Most people do well by feeling their way through the run and not "thinking" about it so much. Do the same, and you will be fine.

In two weeks, we will be adding a new module to this site to allow for better communication between the chapters and their members. Once that's in place, we are going to press the chapter presidents to get more active with their chapters. That activity will include group runs and sometimes may include instruction. Once I am able, I plan to rejoin the Georgia Chapter myself and get together with you guys for some runs.

Reactions: NickW
Cool. I actually live in SC so hopefully I can get with someone here as well. I joined the Georgia chapter as well because you're close and I go to Norcross for work sometimes. Even though my feet hurt from the blisters I don't have any other pains and my knees never hurt which is a plus. I'll just ride my bike until I can run again. Thanks.

Cool. I actually live in SC so hopefully I can get with someone here as well. I joined the Georgia chapter as well because you're close and I go to Norcross for work sometimes. Even though my feet hurt from the blisters I don't have any other pains and my knees never hurt which is a plus. I'll just ride my bike until I can run again. Thanks.
You might consider just walking for a while until you develop the plantar skin on your soles, so you don't have to worry about blisters when you begin running again. I took up barefoot running again after about two months of walking barefoot in the spring of 2011, and had no trouble with blisters. On the other hand, developing your plantar skin while also developing your barefoot running form is a good way to keep you from doing too much of the latter too soon. In any case, just be patient, and roll back the mileage at the first sign of pain/aches/blisters.

Okay. Thanks Bare Lee.

HAHA...TJ, I'm not telling you what my first barefoot run was. It was waaaay too long...and rough. I blistered like a mofo...but came back for more.

I know that I have some pictures around here somewhere...but they aren't on this computer. I think I have them on my phone. I will post some as soon as I can figure out how to get them transferred, hosted, usw. LOL.

I took my transition very slowly, only once did I get a blister. It was in the spring after having run in VFF for a couple months due to the cold temps of winter. When I started bare again I backed the mileage down but tried to speed back up a little too quick.

That blister is right on the natural crease between the big bulge behind the main toe and the rest of the toes. I don't know the technical terms. :p But for some reason this crease area has always been a spot of discomfort. It was mainly a problem early on, I'd get a burning sensation nearly every time. But once I got much over 5k distances it went away. Either my form changed slightly or it just toughened up, idk.

After my half marathon this summer I took a pic when I got home... feet were a bit sore at the end of the race but pretty much fine by the time I was home...

Reactions: devilnuts
So here is my left foot after a 17 mile run today. Mostly asphalt, sidewalk, a few trails, a little grass, a little dirt, a little dirt with rocks. Twice around Diamond Head...in the heat and sun (yeah, I'm stupid), but I made it.

c1fd73e1.jpg

Yep...in the Ala Moana neighborhood for the time being. Will be moving soon due to the roommate situation. Probably out towards Kaimuki. I still want to be close to Waikiki and school. What took you back to the mainland? I hope to stay here for a long, long time.

Family is what brought me back. I was stationed at Schofield and the barracks were so full I was allowed to move off post. Unfortunately, once I got out of the Army there was no way I was going to be able to afford the high cost of living. I sure miss the north shore. I used to go running and swimming there nearly every day.

Those are learning tools right there, Thom! :)

Reactions: ThomDavid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7