Downhill racer

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I'm sure that this topic has been beaten to death, but it's part of what I'm focusing on these days while I'm getting in my short runs. My main dry run has nothing but ups and downs and I find myself getting to look forward to the down parts so I can feel my legs go into this frenzied little spinning thing as I try to keep them from falling behind my head.

So, can anyone share fast footed downhill running tips or where to look them up?

DNEChris was the first one to actually show me something of what it's supposed to look like as he gave me a tour of Central Park last December - thank you!

Ken Bob has some good advice

Ken Bob has some good advice on downhills:

http://therunningbarefoot.com/?p=1539

http://therunningbarefoot.com/?p=439

I would agree with his "let go" philosophy...I used to dread running downhill especially barefoot as I would chew up my feet...now, like you, I find it a total pleasure. It took a 5K race that was half downhill (800 feet) and half uphill (back up 800 feet) for me to learn it well.

However, be prepared to have shoddies laugh at you. My sister had to stop she was laughing so much the first time she saw me running downhill - arms flailing, feet going a billion turnovers a second, knees bent. I bet I looked totally cracked. But I feel like I can run waaaaay faster downhill than I used to and my knees don't ache so that's good/important.

Cheers!

This is definitely a

This is definitely a challenging part of the art of BFR, so maybe there really is no perfect answer. FWIW I'm still struggling with my downhills. I'm trying to roll down them with no resistance. When it doesn't work I feel myself braking a bit. When it works I feel like I'm some sort of circus act, legs spinning crazy fast to stay atop a cylinder that's rolling down the hill. Fun!

Thanks Mary and indirectly,

Thanks Mary and indirectly, thanks Ken Bob. Those were just the right references. Now comes more of the practice, practice, practice.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon