Do cars avoid you more when barefoot?

I am used to the slow downs, and finger pointing when people drive by me while I am running. But even more interesting reactions are when I am one of 2 or 3 barefoot runners running along shouting 'On On' as they follow a trail of chalk markings.

Absolutely, once a week. This weeks run will be in the lovely confines of Westwood on Sunday. Sponsored by our good friends at 'Lucky Beer', with its motto "Yeah I know cheap beer, but it grows on you!"

Reactions: dutchie53 and NickW
Problem is the rare times where two cars happen to be coming in opposite directions and they always seem to coordinate there speeds so that they cross right at my location. I'll get off onto the grass if I can, but a lot of the areas I run dont have the ability to get off the side..

I've noticed this too! If there are two cars coming from opposite directions, 90% of the time, they adjust their speeds to meet exactly next to me. I've had cars stopped right next to me while the other car passes at about 3 mph. while I've been both shod and now barefoot and standing on the side of the road on the grass!

I think it has something to do with target fixation, where you look, you go. I learned this from motorycle training.

Me too! I'm thinking it has more to do with seeing a flashing light and not knowing whether I'm a vehicle. In that respect, the more I deck myself out like a Christmas tree, the more they avoid me at night.
Also, I tend to run at night without any lights on as long as there's a bit of moon, but then i turn on the headlamp for approaching cars. I think it surprises them and wakes them up enough to move over. Well I hope.

Yeah I am all about looking like a christmas tree at night lol. I put on reflective ankle straps (the up and down movement of the leg creates a similar effect to flashing) reflective vest, a PDW danger zone bike tail light on the back of my headband or hydration pack if I am wearing, and at least one headlamp, usually my 172L zebra light.

Had something odd happen earlier this week during an evening run... I went out right after sunset. In addition to the above lights I had my Quark-X 2AA mounted on my headband and my ZL headlamp moved down to the sternum strap on Nathan vest. I set the ZL to strobe pointing dead ahead (172L) and the Quark pointed down about 10' infront of me. The Quark is underrated by the factory and can actually pull off almost 400 lumens with lithiums on turbo, but I think I had it around the 200L mark, IDK, it was a little brighter than my ZL (and was pointed towards the ground). Anyhow, I started out just using the stobe as I could still see OK. But about 20 minutes or so into the run it was getting dark enough that I fired up the Quark. This is probably the most dangerous time as the horizon still has some light and drivers eyes arent fully into night mode yet. Especially when your running east and oncoming traffic is going west. Anyhow up over a small hill comes a car, maybe about 2 tenths of a mile out. It was already going slow, but after it came into view it slowed down and stopped, and then flashed its brights a couple times. I was a little puzzled on what to do, I was already hugging the ditch as close as I could go about a foot off the road. After about 20-30 seconds and the span now only 50-75 yards it started to go again. Not really sure what the driver was thinking.

So if you and Tristan disappear from the forum can we assume the worst? :)

Thats quite possible, as I am sometimes stubborn to give up my edge of the road, especially considering that most of the alternative is ankle spraining angles, waist deep ditches, sharpened wood spikes from the once every 2 month mowing from the town, or guard rails. Check the mental institutions first, once ruled out then more than likely one of my hobbies, as mountain climbing, hunting, and experimenting with high voltage and EMP devices all involve life threatening danger as well. :D

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon