Discrimination

I am not sure it can be considered discrimination because anyone can put shoes on. I have been to establishments that require you wear a collared shirt. I must dress a certain way for work. If I was disciplined for wearing shorts and a t-shirt to work, it wouldn’t be discrimination because the rules apply equally to everyone.

Furthermore it might just be a matter of compliance with local health codes. I don’t think we can always blame business owners for trying to protect their businesses.

Perhaps there needs to be a religion that requires bare feet at all time. :)

Substitute 'nude' for 'barefoot' and see how or if your position changes.

Or substitute gloves for shoes and look at the flip side.

Consider all of those store shelves lined with glass items. What if an item on the shelf broke and a customer cut their hand on broken glass or jabbed their hand on the sharp edge of a shelf? People can pick up all sorts of germs and diseases with their bare hands touching everything. It's really quite dangerous. For the customer's safety stores should require that all customers wear safety gloves. And goggles. And helmets.

Peace,
Karen

Reactions: Bare Lee and rbondi
I am a little worried about going into establishments barefoot, and I can understand store policy rules, so I just plan on packing some super thin slip-ons.
Though I have bought 'barefoot sandals' and at a glance, looks like you're wearing sandals..it's not until you look closer you realize there's no sole. ;)

Peace,
-Niffr

Reactions: jldeleon
I couldn't let this one go without commenting....

Of course this is discrimination, but you don't even have to walk around in you local Wal-Mart to see it. It's blantently in the running community at large. I've been discriminated apon personally. I'm no longer allowed to teach any clinics at the local Running Room store, because of my barefootedness. The ITU (international triathlon union) doesn't allow for barefoot running despite the fact that they know there's nothing wrong with it, after repeated discussion.

On top of that most gyms won't let you run barefoot on the TM or tracks. In fact and this is the absolute strangeness in irony the local gym that market's itself in being inclusive to all athletes in my town won't allow for barefoot runners. Of course they have yet to open so I have a chance in changing their minds on the subject...

http://www.abilitiescentre.org/

Yeah! Let us know if they kick you out later. ;)

I'm no longer allowed to teach any clinics at the local Running Room store, because of my barefootedness

While that is discriminatory, I would guess that their reason is that your belief (in this case, BFR) runs counter to their business model. Having a barefooter teach running courses at a place that sells running shoes would be akin to a bartender handing out AA literature to his patrons. Large scale, it might be the right thing to do, but the owner might not see things as such. To that end, it's their game and they get to make the rules - your only option is to not give them your business.

On a similar note, before I found our local BRS chapter, I was considering putting together an IBRD event for the Silicon Valley...during that thought process, I thought about asking if I could post a flyer or something at the local running store...until I realized the conflict that would create...

There were some earlier comments about how we (as a group) understand that we cannot hold a business liable if we get hurt becuase we entered the property while barefoot. Logically, that's true, but that's also the flaw: We're using logic. It sounds like we are (generically speaking) a responsible group and have no intention of suing someone because we stepped on a piece of glass in their store while we were barefoot. What we need to realize is that we do not represent society as a whole - there are tons of folks that would happily use that opportunity to score a payday - regardless of any personal responsibility.

Walked into class tonight barefoot, got lot's of comments from folks, the professor looked at me, made a wtf face and then proceeded to go on with class as if he had just seen shoes on me. Score for me!

Reactions: jldeleon
Walked into class tonight barefoot, got lot's of comments from folks, the professor looked at me, made a wtf face and then proceeded to go on with class as if he had just seen shoes on me. Score for me!
my classmates and profs have gotten used to it after a few months.
I only had one person confront me (the director of the building) who I then offered to sit down and share some information on the benefits of being BF and address any of her health concerns.
She never said anything again after that :D

While that is discriminatory, I would guess that their reason is that your belief (in this case, BFR) runs counter to their business model. Having a barefooter teach running courses at a place that sells running shoes would be akin to a bartender handing out AA literature to his patrons.

Running Pirate, I don't agree with you on that, I run and assist teaching clinics at a running store barefoot and have been for the last year. The issue with The Running Room is that they are not open to any other idea pertaining to running then their own. If you do not follow their formula or how they feel everybody should run (heel strike dominant), then you do not belong thus they pressure you out like an outcast. I know this first hand as well, as they have also done it to me.
Discrimination comes in many shapes and sizes and usually it centres around peoples fears and the unknown. The best way to conquor discrimination is with education.

Gentile, that I agree with, is it really that bad to throw a pair of shoes on while in a store. Although discrimination is mostly fears of the unknown, you still have to respect the persons wishes. Life is to short to pick a fight with every Tom, Dick and Harry that does not agree with you. Sometimes you have to make compromises, a little bit of give and take and they may be more receptive to what you are presenting to them.

Reactions: Barefoot Gentile
If an establishment says shoes needed, then just listen! Nothing more irritating than these group of people that constantly protest everything because they can't go barefoot somewhere, give me a break. Throw some flip flops on and call a day!

I have osteoarthritis in my 1'st metatarso-phalangial joints and shoes cause extreme pain. Flip flops cause those joints to ache for days after just walking through a Home Depot (That's why I frequent Lowes)
My wife's knee osteoarthritis hurts like heII when she wears anything on her feet.
Flip Flops create a very unatural gait that causes her knees to rebel as well.
As a matter of fact, the researchers studying this have always recommended against flip flops.
Shoes are not like shirts or short shorts or any other article of clothing, they indeed drasticaly alter the simple act of ambulation. Some of us would rather fight than end up in pain due to a minimum wage earner's attempt at creating a sense of power for themselves.
Most bare feet bans at retail establishments are just that.
The truth is that if an establishment requires shoes, they should be informed that it's not that easy for some of us and we will take our business elsewhere if necessary.
Also, in the majority of cases the establishment/owner/shareholders don't care whether or not the customer wears shoes, and an employee has just taken it upon themselves to enforce a non-existant shoe rule that would drive away our business. The owner often is thankful that we pointed out the retraining need of the subordinate.
With a better than 90% success rate in private businesses fighting the self appointed shoe cops, you won't change my mind with your simplistic solution that ignores the facts
I will fight to the end for an individual's right to set any dress code they see fit in their private establishment,
but am comforted knowing that most people listen to a well thought out request asking for modification.
I've only been running barefoot for 2 1/2 years, but have been a member of The Society for Barefoot Living for a decade.
During that time I have reversed, modified, or been told there is no rule at dozens of businesses that my wife or myself or other members of the BRS or SBL have been denied service at.
Throw on some flip flops and call it a day?
Whatever for!

Having Morton's Neuroma, redeveloping, and post traditional surgery, I am getting to where wearing anything on my feet, even flip-flops cause a great deal of pain, once worn for a period of time. What am I going to do? How am I going to go about my everyday life? How will I be accepted? Will I be accepted?!

I agree with Board's statement, which gives me a degree of hope: I will fight to the end for an individual's right to set any dress code they see fit in their private establishment, but am comforted knowing that most people listen to a well thought out request asking for modification.

It looks like it will be a case-by-case, situation-by-situation basis for me, as I will have to explain myself over and over and over again until they get to know me and I get to know what stores will allow me and what stores won't.

I will share this though... I went to a physical therapist's office when I was recovering from the cryosurgery for Morton's Neuroma not quite two years ago. They asked me to run on the treadmill. I said I don't have nor wear running shoes and asked if I could go barefoot, as that was the way I always run. They were shocked but said I could. As I was running on the treadmill, I looked to the side, lost the positioning of my feet, and slid into the side, metal foot rail. It burned the hell out of my foot and left a nice little gash. If I was unreasonable, I could have sued them. But I'm not that kind of person. I never said a word to them of what happened. I know that it was my asking, my doing, my fault. But not everyone is going to be as reasonable as I was. From this perspective, you can understand why a business owner would want and have the right to ask their patrons to wear shoes.

So there you go. I understand both sides of the issue. I see gray.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I could have sued them.

But you would have lost.
Review Dr. Howel's pages in the subject as well as Acuah's, and you will remember that a far as injuries to bare feet are concerned the barefooter is always 100% at fault, except at places that REQUIRE bare feet like swimming pools etc.
The easiest way for an establishment to reduce their overall liability exposure is to allow bare feet, thus eliminating any possibilty of a foot injury from being even partially their fault.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts