Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)?

if you can't lift over your head then get some professional help first.

first move well, then move often. - Gray Cook

Thank's Mike, I just keep getting offered quaterzone for pain relief.
I'm happy with my goof, wobble board and medicine ball workouts for core strength, I do lots of squats and lunges with the ball also, seems to work well for me.
Truth is I just overdid things on the hill, the lesson learn't is don't overdo things on the hill, eventually it will cause a negative return.

Thank's Mike, I just keep getting offered quaterzone for pain relief.
I'm happy with my goof, wobble board and medicine ball workouts for core strength, I do lots of squats and lunges with the ball also, seems to work well for me.
Truth is I just overdid things on the hill, the lesson learn't is don't overdo things on the hill, eventually it will cause a negative return.

We both are on the same both about no lifting, what a bummer right?
I hope you really learned your lesson on the hills:)

We both are on the same both about no lifting, what a bummer right?
I hope you really learned your lesson on the hills:)

My glutes told me off very loudly! Lesson learned until the next time, and with me there will be a next time.;)

I don't mind the no lifting bit too much, i'm not really a fan of static exercises anyway, I'd rather work with gravity, motion and balance.
But everyone's different, we've all got to work with what suits us best as individuals and with our own constraints.

Reactions: DNEchris
I'm no super physio person, but I know that I get my best hill climbing shape when I do exercises to get my hip flexors and glutes / quads as fully developed as possible.

You can see excellent examples of this in the videos of Kenyan athletes doing their warmup regimens. They do what looks like Hundred Ups as if their lives depend on them and they also do a few laps on the track dragging a tire behind them. Even with the tire they run faster than I can at my fastest.

Reactions: skedaddle
I'm no super physio person, but I know that I get my best hill climbing shape when I do exercises to get my hip flexors and glutes / quads as fully developed as possible.

You can see excellent examples of this in the videos of Kenyan athletes doing their warmup regimens. They do what looks like Hundred Ups as if their lives depend on them and they also do a few laps on the track dragging a tire behind them. Even with the tire they run faster than I can at my fastest.

Thanks for the advice Joseph, appreciate it.:)
Not sure i'm ready for the Kenyan warmup yet though. I hope they sort their troubles out before the olympics, it just won't be the same without them.
I saw a guy with one of those running parachutes the other day and another with a full face mask to simulate altitude. I've also seen some tire pulling dudes in the past.

Last edited:
someone who offers you cortisone is someone who doesn't know how to get rid of pain. only mask it.

My glutes told me off very loudly! Lesson learned until the next time, and with me there will be a next time.;)

I don't mind the no lifting bit too much, i'm not really a fan of static exercises anyway, I'd rather work with gravity, motion and balance.
But everyone's different, we've all got to work with what suits us best as individuals and with our own constraints.

Yea, same here about lifting, I am happy to be able to do what I am capable of doing. I always tell myself that it could be worst.
Bodyweight resistance workouts work really well for me(well to a point I guess as people keeps telling me that I am so tiny) and I am happy with it.

Yeap, keeping those glutes tight and hip flexors flexible is good for everyone Jose.

HI Skee. I agree with Abide on this one. On my running log, I also keep track of DOMS in two different columns: post-run 24 hours, and Post-run 48 hours. I track this by just estimating my level of pain/discomfort using the modified Borg scale of Relative Pain. No pain = a score of 0, a boken bone or severed foot would be a 10. :) Oh, and I have another column for the location of the pain (Heel, bilateral) and type of pain (shooting, constant, throbbing, etc.) After a few months of this tracking, your Borg scale will turn out to be very accurate for you. Review your running log, comparing runs with the DOMS scores, and you'll see patterns and trends. :) Great for heading off long-term injuries before you've done too much damage.

-Clint
Ft. Wayne IN

You can get a great workout for your lower body without using your arms. Pistol squats, which you can work up to with box pistols, are harder than doing bodyweight back squats. Step ups, going higher and higher as you get stronger are good, just make sure you don't push off with your lower leg/foot. Glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, single leg glute bridges with weight on your hips, all will nail your glute max. Clams and weighted clams will nail the glute medius if you have good form. If you can hold a weight down by your side, step ups, lunges, back lunges, carries, etc with a weight in one hand only are great. If you can rack a kettlebell, doing the same with it in rack will get both your hips and your core like you won't believe ... where there's a will, there's a way. Hip flexors are easy. Planks, flutter kicks, and Helen Kellers are all good.

You can get a great workout for your lower body without using your arms. Pistol squats, which you can work up to with box pistols, are harder than doing bodyweight back squats. Step ups, going higher and higher as you get stronger are good, just make sure you don't push off with your lower leg/foot. Glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, single leg glute bridges with weight on your hips, all will nail your glute max. Clams and weighted clams will nail the glute medius if you have good form. If you can hold a weight down by your side, step ups, lunges, back lunges, carries, etc with a weight in one hand only are great. If you can rack a kettlebell, doing the same with it in rack will get both your hips and your core like you won't believe ... where there's a will, there's a way. Hip flexors are easy. Planks, flutter kicks, and Helen Kellers are all good.

Thanks Gordon

I do a lot of what you've mentioned every other day or so, but there are a few things there I haven't heard of so i'll check them out tonight.
I'm not really a weights kinda guy and prefer bodyweight and balance exercises, its what I enjoy so I don't feel i'm missing out with a dodgy shoulder. I do use a medicine ball though.

I'd go as far as to say the DOMS is non existent now, even after my long runs.
I haven't done any hill sprints for a while though, that's when it usually shows up, but I have been doing a lot of steady climbing without issue, so I think I'd just been over doing things.

HI Skee. I agree with Abide on this one. On my running log, I also keep track of DOMS in two different columns: post-run 24 hours, and Post-run 48 hours. I track this by just estimating my level of pain/discomfort using the modified Borg scale of Relative Pain. No pain = a score of 0, a boken bone or severed foot would be a 10. :) Oh, and I have another column for the location of the pain (Heel, bilateral) and type of pain (shooting, constant, throbbing, etc.) After a few months of this tracking, your Borg scale will turn out to be very accurate for you. Review your running log, comparing runs with the DOMS scores, and you'll see patterns and trends. :) Great for heading off long-term injuries before you've done too much damage.

-Clint
Ft. Wayne IN

Thanks Clint
Your post kind of reminded me of a post I made last year when I hit the trails again after atrophying on the road over the winter. All the new lateral movements caused me issues this time last year as muscle groups that hadn't been used for a while were reactivated.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7