Coastal dwellers unite.......

• Thread starter Humboldt-explorer
  • Start date

Humboldt-explorer

Alright I can't stand street running. Why ? Traffic, and emissions suck.

I've taken on beach running. I live on a beautiful rural coast so seems like the perfect setting. Plus the beach I feel is a better workout.

So coastal dwellers.... identify your selves. Surely I'm not the only beach runner on this board.

I'm very active outside so I'm not strictly a runner. I like to do other outdoor activities. As far as bare feet I consider myself more of a BF advocate rather then a BF runner. I don't really train for running events so I don't have a need to mimic street conditions. The beach is where it is at, and soon I'll be experimenting with trails. I am new to running I imagine if the beach was not here. I probably would have given up running by now. As the streets bore me to death......

I would love to have access

I would love to have access to the beach. I grew up hanging out at the beach in San Diego, so I miss it terribly.

I run on asphalt paths that run through greenbelts. Still absolutely beautiful. I also love the trails that run through the woods here.

I have some green belt

I have some green belt asphalt trails, but I prefer the beach. The asphalt trail is not really long enough. I look forward to the wooded trails soon. I don't find the asphalt to be as satisfying as natural surfaces. Of cousre I realize not all have access to beach. Curious what amount of the community here has beach access, and runs on it.

Hi HumboldtOne beach runner

Hi Humboldt

One beach runner putting his hand up!!

I live about 2km from the beach and the Adelaide beaches are beautiful. I run on the beach and the Esplanade (the road alongside) about 3 days a week.

At the moment we are in mid summer and the beach is the coolest of the places to run. Today has been 35C and I'm waiting until around 7pm, hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then. I'll probably run about 7-8km tonight.

On saturday I do my longer run from Grange jetty to Semaphore jetty and back which is around 14.5km.

On 4th March there is a beach race called the Beach Bash which is a 4km run. I have been trying to sharpen my speed up and training in the soft sand really gives you a workout and is great for balance training.

There is a place called the Snakepit about 10km from my place which is a training circuit in the sand dunes, that really gets the heart rate up.

Cheers

Neil

The ocean is therapy in my

The ocean is therapy in my life, even though i live near the sound. I am the complete opposite, I am an inner city barefoot runner, my feet have survived some close calls. Many shards of glass in feet, and literally stepped an inch from a hypordermic needle last summer, that scared me.

I am envy of your coastal running, I can't imagine the beauty of it. Someday I would like get the family out where we live into a more coastal, warmer climate.

I live 1.5 miles from the

I live 1.5 miles from the beach. Of course when you live on a island that you can completely drive around in 3 hours, its kind of easy to be near a beach.

I live 2 block from the

I live 2 block from the beach. I usually do great on the beach, but last year I somehow pulled a muscle running on the beach. I usually participate in the NC Crystal Coast Beach Run Series, which is every other week in the summer, prolly 20 races. Points are accumulated.

I like running right at the water line, and through the water line.

I also bodyboard, but not barefoot. I wear minimalist bodyboard fins!

Larry, you still didn't try

Larry, you still didn't try out (barefoot) longboarding?

It must have been a year ago at least that you were asking for recommendations regarding board length and style!

I'm a part time beach runner

I'm a part time beach runner in San Diego. I'm actually an equal opportunitist and will run pretty much anywhere.

I actually haven't run on the beach in some time but will need to start upping my loose sand mileage in prep for this race:

http://hermosa24.com/

The beach running is kind of

The beach running is kind of addicting for me. It is a great workout. I just don't understand why I barely ever see anyone else doing it. You would think more folks would be drawn to the environment. I guess they are concerned about time/mileage for some race they are focusing on. For me running is a much different attitude, and it more for fun rather then calculating numbers.