Carbohydrates?

Wow!  Definitely alot of

Wow! Definitely alot of conflicting advice for St.John to process.

Everyone is rightfully entitled to their own opinion. However, I vote entirely for Low to Zero Carb eating for both health and energy reasons.

I suggest everyone take a look at http://www.proteinpower.com/ which is written by a Doctor Michael & Doctor Mary Eades (husband/wife - both doctors). I have followed them for several years and, at least for me, I know it works. I like Shacky's comment that you don't need carbs. The Eades agree with that viewpoint. Quite simply, if your body does not consume either Protein or Fat (the ggod fats) the Eades say you DIE. In contrast, if you do not eat CARBS nothing bad happens. Reason (as I understand it): your body will convert protein to provide you the carbs you need. In one of their latest Books, The Protein Power Lifeplan, they clearly lay out their beliefs including a chapter "Man the Hunter."

Another resource is Gary Taubes website, www.garytaubes.com His book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" explains how we (Americans) got to the "Low Fat, High Carb" mentality.

Several years ago, I had high cholesterol. I tried eating the recommended low fat/high carb diet and both my cholesterol & triglycerides went UP. Everything got worse until I picked up and followed the Eades' Low Carb method. Within a month, my cholesterol and triglicerides went back down.

From a running perspective, I have more energy and better results when I am eating low carb.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,

I know, I know, I think I

I know, I know, I think I keep looking for a magic formula to apply to everyone, but yes, it seems our bodies all need different things. So far in my experiment, I've added more cheese, yoghurt, and some free-range chicken, while cutting out soy products and (mostly) wheat/flour. I'm still eating lentil/bean soup, and have started throw rice back into the mix, though at lower levels. And so far, so good. I haven't had many real chances for long runs up here in cold Michigan, but I have noticed my body change: more muscles, without even really working out much besides some pushups. I just dont' seem to be into beef, though I've also been trying buffalo jerky occasionally. I think I'm sleeping better with eating less carbs.

Really, hard to be precise since I occaisionally binge on girl scout cookies. And, perhpas even more important what what I eat is the fact that maybe I need to eat less, period. But I wonder if eating all those carbs is part of that, that I was craving the sugar/glucose(?) high all the time.

Plus: free range meat is just expensive, and not readily available in Jackson, MI. I find myself tending more towards the legumes just to lower my grocery bills.

LivingFree wrote:Several

LivingFree said:
Several years ago, I had high cholesterol. I tried eating the recommended low fat/high carb diet and both my cholesterol & triglycerides went UP. Everything got worse until I picked up and followed the Eades' Low Carb method. Within a month, my cholesterol and triglicerides went back down.

What, no statins??? That's practically BLASPHEMY today. All my American friends seem to be sucking them down like M&Ms and it's scary, very scary. That, and anti-depressive/anti-anxiety pills... ugh.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon