Bringing the gospel to a new people!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
Today is my birthday, and in true Addict form, I wanted to run a 5K, so...last night my wife and I did the "Run in the Dark" 5K out in Ft Worth, about an hour west of us. We dressed all in black and put on a bunch of glow braceletts and walked over to watch the start of the fun run before our race, and that's when the fun started.

You would have thought I was wearing a dress! LOL! The stares, the whispers...it was more than normal. We saw only one other guy in Vibrams and one kid in Fila "Skelitoes". I got a few people asking how I do that, they never could, don't you get blisters, what about glass...the usual. In the first mile or so, I heard someone shout, "Yeah! Good job! You're going to get blisters, though!". Confused, I looked over my shoulder and said, "Who...me??!!". The guy she was running with said, "Yeah. You're the talk of the race!" I said, "Wow! Thanks, but I'll be ok. Last weekend I got a pedicure and ran 8.4miles the next day with no blisters." There was one girl who passed me with about a half mile to go, shoes in hand, so I wasn't the only barefooter! ;o)

The highlight had to be the lady who asked if I wanted to borrow some shoes, at about mile 2. I said no, but how about a piggy back ride, this hill is killing me. She turned around, and I kid you not, was 7-8mo pregnant! She said, "I've already got a passenger!" We both cracked up! Of all the people to use that joke on...I picked a pregnant lady! Well...it was dark and from the back you could not tell... She kicked my butt, by the way. Looked tottaly chill just cruisin up ahead till I couldn't see her any more.

I had been fighting a sinus and chest thing all week, so although my body was willing, my wind was just not there. I hacked up a lung in the first half mile or so and in spite of traffic at the start, managed a 9 flat at the mile marker, but the wheels fell off around half way and I just couldn't breathe, finishing in 32.38 and 436th out of 1193. I did manage to recover enough to sprint out the last 100yds or so. I thought I owed it to "our people" to show I had not hobbled myself by running barefoot on concrete!

Still, I got to push my limits for where I was that day, learned I gotta start out slower, talked to some folks about barefooting and why I do it and the race was fun! We're already planning to do it again next year!

-Jonny

That is so funny!  Good

That is so funny! Good times, good times.

It'll be interesting to see

It'll be interesting to see what next year's race looks like. Will there be more minimalist runners? Any barefooters? Maybe just some pointing again and the occasional "Hey, I remember that guy!". Let's hope that will be followed by, "Man, he's faster and thinner than I remember!" Awwww, yeahhhhh!!! ;o)

-Jonny

We have a similar race but

We have a similar race but since I only started BFR a couple months ago I missed it
sad_smile.gif

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts