Bought a GPS

I solve my need to watch the numbers constantly by leaving my glasses in the car while I am running. I cant read it without my glasses so I cant see it anyway. Of course I get lost a lot also lol. Not obsessing over the numbers does tend to put the fun back into running as opposed to turning it into a training exercise.

Reactions: OdiarAmor and Sid
As mentioned in the tech whore thread, I have amended my gadget geekery. I don't need fly over mapping of my runs. I do however, require accurate distance recording. I started getting frustrated with my GPS not getting a good signal in the woods (resulting in a poorly managed trail half marathon based on perceived distance run...could have finished at least 10-15 mins faster had I known my actual distance in the back half of that race, but I digress) and with the battery failing to hold a charge after barely a year of use. Turns out it would cost about 60 bucks for Garmin to fix the battery. Shine that. I returned it to REI and got the FR70 heart rate monitor (I had asked for a hrm strap for christmas to go with my 110) and ordered a footpod online for 30 bucks. a calibrated footpod will give me accurate pace and distance regardless of overhead conditions. And no sitting there waiting for it to catch a signal. hit start and go. still have copious amounts of data to pore over (now with HR data, which I had been missing for the past year). bonus points for a replaceable watch battery that I can get at any drug store for 3 bucks.

TL, DR: ditched GPS, still gathering geeky amounts of data more simply. Oh and footpod works easy peasy for me cuz, well, I wear shoes.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
Well I might be back in the market for a gps, or upgrading to a smart phone that can do it, my Garmin 205 isnt turning on or charging for some reason. :mad:
Looks like Garmin will do an out-of-warranty repair for $69. Though, that goes a long way towards another watch.

I used my phone on a recent run, a Samsung Galaxy S3, and it looks like Runkeeper will go for about 4 hours on a fully charged battery.

I left mine turned on when flying home from Florida. My PR is now 610 MPH.:D

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon