Blood donation and training

Woodsman

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
I wasn’t sure where to ask this question so let me know if I am in the wrong place.

How will donating blood effect training? Will I have to lay off for a few days?

I am finally on a roll with my training (barefoot running and otherwise) and don’t need another setback. I hate to sound selfish, but with my schedule lately I need to make progress when I can. I should mention I am not training for any particular races right now. I am just trying to get back into shape after a few months of having limited time to exercise.

Unless you are planning on

Unless you are planning on running an hour after you donate, don't worry about it. You may notice it will be harder to run fast but other than that you will be fine. There is no reason to skip a run the next day.

Just make sure you stay

Just make sure you stay properly hydrated and as Abide said, you should be fine.

You do have a Road ID so if you pass out into traffic the medics can notify next of kin, right?

barefoot ramzev wrote:You do

barefoot ramzev said:
You do have a Road ID so if you pass out into traffic the medics can notify next of kin, right?

I'm not sure if you are kidding, but I don't carry ID when I run so I should probably get something. My wife could use the break though.

You should be fine, just

You should be fine, just drink a lot of water and eat something, and dont run for the first few hours after you donate. Other than that dont push yourself too hard and if you start feeling light headed stop for a bit. Its what I do and I havent died yet, so I figure you will be fine.

Don't do them at the same

Don't do them at the same time and you should be fine.

I personally am hit pretty hard by donating blood. I usually have to go home and go to sleep afterwards, and I'm a bit tired the next day. But that's usually the worst of it.

The last time I was tapped and tried to run the next day I crashed out after a mile or so and had to walk home. I think I just forgot about giving blood and went into my run at the standard intensity.
It wouldn't hurt to take a whole day for recovery if your schedule will permit. I'm a big fan of giving my body what it wants in that regard, and the downside is doing yourself an injury or weakening your immune system.
Oh, and I think some sort of ID is a very good idea. It's just a simple bit of good sense insurance. I won a $15 off coupon as part af an age group award and got myself a RoadID ankle bracelet. It's easy enough to achieve the same thing without the fancy.

After I donate blood, I have to take it easy for a couple of days. I tend to be tired the following day and get winded very easily (and I'm only 27! What's the deal...). One time I went rock climbing three days after donating and by the time I got to the top of a 30ft wall my heart was pounding out of my chest. Never passed out though.

If you're healthy you should be back to 100% within a day or two.

If you happen to be dealing with a tendon injury (no matter how minor), I would suggest you not donate blood. I'm speaking from experience here. Tendons have a limited blood supply which is why tendon injuries heal so slowly. Further limiting that blood supply is not a good idea. If you have any nagging TOFP, ankle/achilles soreness, etc -- anything that suggests a possible tendon issue -- you might want to postpone the blood donation until you're feeling 100%. Just my $0.02, not actual medical advice.

Peace,
Karen

I think it varies from person to person. There's some manly/lucky people above who seem to be able to give blood whilst running... but I'm obviously a wuss because it affected me quite a bit. I didn't feel up to exercising for a couple of days afterwards the first time I gave blood.

If you're not training and can afford a couple of days off, go for it and then see how you feel. You should really know before you set out if you are going to be able to run normally if you are honest with yourself.

Blood donation does not really affect the easier training. it may affect a race in the short term. eat meat and it takes 4-8 weeks to rebuild to capacity again. so unless a race in the next few weeks....give!
Mark

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7