BF Leson Learned

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I went out at about dawn this morning to get in a slightly longer run, maybe 7 or so miles. As my Vibrams are in my truck at work it was to be really BF. BUT...we got 3 to 4 inches of rain last night and the temp was down to 42 or so, and my feet hated it! I got 1.5 mile out and every pebble and fragment of a pebble made my feet cringe. I couldn't relax and just got miserabler and miserabler. I packed it in for a total of 3 hard ones. I shoud have waited for things to warm up and dry out some and I would have had a much happier run. Otherwise, no harm done.

I find that I struggle from

I find that I struggle from time-to-time when the conditions aren't quite right, too cold and wet, for example, too debris-ridden in other areas, etc., and it seems I hit every little piece of whatever that wants to stick to my feet, and I think this bites. But then once I'm done with it, I kinda pat myself on the back for getting through it, experiencing it, and learning from it. You will too.

TJ,  OK.  You let me know

TJ, OK. You let me know when you've proven yourself virtuous and gotten through a nasty run and I'll pat you on the back too.

This toughing it out, if taken to the extreme, leads to one's feet looking like poor Nate's (shudder!)

I will second the experience

I will second the experience of significant pain (especially on wet concrete) on some of my runs. There is something about wet grit getting stuck to your foot and just staying there and chewing the crap out of your soul/soles. To me, 3 miles of that kind of abuse is a worthy achievement. These are also the runs where I end up with broken glass lodged in my forefoot, probably because the shards are more difficult to see and avoid.

awww...don't feel bad for

awww...don't feel bad for me...it was an awesome 6 hour ordeal :) It's nothing that won't heal, stronger, and better!!

JT, running on wet pavement

JT, running on wet pavement is taking it to the extreme? Like you said yourself, "no harm done."

Are you serious, JT? I have to prove to you that I've had some crappy runs? My word isn't good enough? Don't you know me better by now? Do I lie?

When I run on wet roads I get

When I run on wet roads I get raw spots. But after seeing Nates pictures, my raw spots aren't even a flesh wound