Barefoot running: How Nike and other shoe companies are taking it on

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
“The body has to remain malleable and adjust its sensitivity, but become more aware. There’s a difference between sensitivity and awareness, which affects how your body responds to the surface. Balance, posture, coordination—you don’t have to think about them. Your feet will tell you, and it will adjust itself to different surfaces. You learn to listen to your body.”

Still adapting to this. I find “There’s a difference between sensitivity and awareness...” insightful.

I was having a bite to eat with my relatives a few weeks ago and the subject of feet came up. The relatives are in their mid to late 60's and they were telling me how their feet seemed to be getting more sensitive with age and they cannot walk over hard surfaces any more without them hurting. I'm wondering if barefoot running will give our feet more resilience as we get older. My aunt said she always walked around barefoot but now the skin on her feet is thinner and she feels any small objects on the floor much more now. Has anyone else noticed how the feet change with age.

Neil

I was having a bite to eat with my relatives a few weeks ago and the subject of feet came up. The relatives are in their mid to late 60's and they were telling me how their feet seemed to be getting more sensitive with age and they cannot walk over hard surfaces any more without them hurting. I'm wondering if barefoot running will give our feet more resilience as we get older. My aunt said she always walked around barefoot but now the skin on her feet is thinner and she feels any small objects on the floor much more now. Has anyone else noticed how the feet change with age.

Neil
We'll need to talk to some of the barefoot ole timers.

Reactions: dharmadan
My feet seem more sensitive but I don't think I can chalk it up to age. I started living in places where it was harder for me to go barefoot all the time, plus I had work where I was supposed to wear shoes. I think those were the factors, not age. I am still trying to transition to bare feet.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
My feet seem more sensitive but I don't think I can chalk it up to age. I started living in places where it was harder for me to go barefoot all the time, plus I had work where I was supposed to wear shoes. I think those were the factors, not age. I am still trying to transition to bare feet.
I think people's feet get weaker, more sensitive, as they get older because they did not allow their feet to be free and used as they should have been while they were growing up and aging. If they had, they would have developed stronger bone and tissue structures and thicker, conditioned soles. It sucks really.

Reactions: Random
I think people's feet get weaker, more sensitive, as they get older because they did not allow their feet to be free and used as they should have been while they were growing up and aging. If they had, they would have developed stronger bone and tissue structures and thicker, conditioned soles. It sucks really.
That makes sense. My feet were tough even into my thirties, but the more I wore shoes for whatever reason, the more difficult it seems to be to return to bare feet.

Definitely sucks.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7