barefoot running and minimalist shoes

inside the barefeet

inside the barefeet frontlines simply cause I'm that nice a girl.

more on topic of other barefoot(ers) out there, you know who you are :)

reading the how-to guide on barefoot running with extras from ''Barefoot Ted'' and ''Danny Dreyer''

named best selling author of ''ChiRunning and ChiWalking'' , it's never too late.

There is a mention on the following Run Bare link that he met with Dr Lieberman at his Harvard Barefoot Running Lab. I bet they all had their shoes on !

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RunBare/169108271528

Who else has seen the movie?

From Dr.Robbins hypothese : Surface irregularities of natural surfaces may be essential to our understanding of safe human locomotion.

Keep informed and best of luck

jschwab

jschwab said:
I think Lieberman's a hack...

and

jen said:
I agree dear JSCHWAB....

Whoa, nelly! Don't be hatin'!

There is no need to come down to this level. The work of everyone in this field can be be appreciated or critiqued on its merits.

First of all, let's give everyone credit (yeah, even that guy from Road Runner Sports) for good intentions.

Second of all, let's evaluate the scientist by what they usually want to be evaluated by: their published work. So for Lieberman that would be the 2010 paper.

Lieberman's 2010 paper does not get into the question of whether barefoot is the same as minimal; for better or worse it lumps those two groups together (see bottom of page 531). So basically what Lieberman has contributed is an empirical study showing that people running with different shoe conditions have different styles of moving and different patterns of forces in their legs.

This conclusion generally reflects what barefoot practictioners would say based on their own observations. Even if you question Lieberman's methods, the conclusion is similar to papers like Kerrigan et al (2010) and Divert et al (2008) who did actually study barefoot people... see the Library section. So there is no reason to trash the guy for his published work.

Now If beyond that Lieberman has aspired to become a running coach or a media darling, and is not doing too good a job of it, well then we might just say that he's not qualified for THAT. Okay, agreed, he's no Ken Bob. But to attribute a rash of injuries to this guy's poor coaching is to jump way far ahead... first we'd have to establish that there are such a rash of injuries, and then we'd have to connect them to him (as opposed to all the other poor advice out there).

Blind Boy said:
As far as I know, that minimal shoes are close to barefoot is, in the scientific sense, still just a hypothesis.

I think this is most important question and interesting thing out there right now. I personally agree with Jen that there is a big difference between barefoot and minimal. But we don't need to savage an individual just because he isn't providing exactly the information we desire to hear.

Lieberman isn't the most

Lieberman isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes to barefoot running. He has the data and he knows how to analyze it fairly well but as far as I can tell, he's fairly new to the concept. I've read a few of his earlier works, a study on the mechanics of walking and running from 2004 for instance, and he assumed back then that heel strike was the way to run. In the academic sense, this isn't really all that long ago. I think it's great that he gets publicity since it rubs off on us, I just wish he'd been a little bit better prepared when he published the study.

I agree with stomper, let's stick to the facts here. If you don't learn anything from doing a study there's no point in doing it in the first place. I think Lieberman and team learned a great deal from this study and I'm curious to see what they do next.

Howdi crowd and thanks for

Howdi crowd and thanks for the swiftness in your observations and appreciated comments.

Yes, it's true that both researchers have delivered extended knowledge and facts on barefoot locomotion and running barefeet. I do not wish to belittle anyone here or place anybody else on a Pedestal. My remarks were founded on a private personal experience within the nature of this lifestyle.

Simply placing labels on products does not do it for me, never has actually. Therefore, having the attribute ''minimalist shoes'' on products such as Vibram does not deliver an ethical awareness of what living barefoot represents.

There are far too many barefoot runners out there whom favor acquiring a more personal ''foot on'' experience and consciously judge for themselves what's good and what works. Although a safe player, I stick behind what meets my needs so regardless the stage your at in the barefoot process, do it right !

Best Regards

I dont understand this

I dont understand this thread..I found the Lieberman article or whatever to be affirming of what I already intuitively knew. e just provided some proof scientifically. Would I take barefoot lessons from him?? haha no.... but I think he is bright enough to provide a basis for study

Right back at you Stomper,

Right back at you Stomper, terrific feedback. I hope you will trim some of that hair when we meet-up :)

Burt, liked your response and that sums it up nicely , gracias !

What I meant when I started this thread as I stated before, is that it's all about (personal choice).

Not here to dispute or disrupte by all means, as I do respect everyone's individual experience and insight in the matter of barefeet. Which is, for me, as valuable, if not more, than what I've read in books to date.

If I could avoid wearing shoes 24/7, I would. My interpreted harshness was not so much towards ''Lieberman'' himself, but the fact that he has his runners more on, than off, and so how could he adequately guide me into the complete safety of barefoot running.

Communities and sites such as this one provide greater resources.

Sincerely

Sesame Street: Set Your

Sesame Street: Set Your Piggies Free !

The barefoot topic is definately safe for all ages, so cute, just wanted to share with you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7pU-ygiFPk

Getting back on the safety track, share your thoughts on this article clip from Science Mag:

So should sporty types shed their shoes and jump on the barefooted bandwagon? "Not at all," says Lieberman. "Shoes are comfortable, and they protect the foot" from glass, asphalt, and other harsh realities of urban running, he notes. Instead, Lieberman (who has since taken up occasional barefoot running himself) recommends a gradual transition for the bare-curious, one that allows the feet and calves to strengthen slowly and avoid injury.

p.s. took up the gift for gab between barefoot sessions :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon