Bad parenting: My 7 year old picked up a piece of glass

triing

Barefooters
Nov 29, 2011
I was out running the streets with my boys, 10 and 7. We had barely gone half a mile when my seven year complained that his foot was bleeding and demanded a piggy back ride. Recovering from a knee injury I refused to grant his wish and actually had him run back home. It was not until after we had showered and I decided to medicate his wound that I noticed he had a tiny piece of glass lodged in his foot.

This happened about a week ago. We’ve gone out running once since then but with shoes on. I’m in a real dilemma. I would like my boys to enjoy barefoot running. I also want them to be safe. Confining them to tacks is an option. But a rather boring option. And above all I have to get over my guilt.

He's already forgiven you, and it helped him figure out that you are not a pushover, but also not perfect. You're not the first parent to overlook an injury in a fit of "tough-it-out-edness." I've done the same thing (different circumstances). It's a good lesson for both of you, and you'll probably be more attentive to whether he is really hurt next time around. So don't feel guilty.

I'm also not sure that when we look back at our blissful, barefoot youth that we aren't looking at it with rose colored glasses. I remember a lot of stubbed toes and splinters of various sorts in the soles of my feet. (I also remember my friend's slightly older sister that walked everywhere barefoot all summer, miles a day... but I digress. Yes, she was at the trailing edge of the hippy generation. And was very groovy.)

In this non-natural world, I run barefoot carefully. I'm lucky to have a park nearby that's not abused by hoards of glass-breaking idiots. Even at that, I take a once-around in my Vivos before I stash them for my barefoot laps. I'm probably too cautious, but I'm 52 now, injuries last a little longer, and recovery takes longer, too.

Barefoot-style shoes are not a terrible compromise sometimes. Just my humble opinion.

I was out running the streets with my boys, 10 and 7. We had barely gone half a mile when my seven year complained that his foot was bleeding and demanded a piggy back ride. Recovering from a knee injury I refused to grant his wish and actually had him run back home. It was not until after we had showered and I decided to medicate his wound that I noticed he had a tiny piece of glass lodged in his foot.

This happened about a week ago. We’ve gone out running once since then but with shoes on. I’m in a real dilemma. I would like my boys to enjoy barefoot running. I also want them to be safe. Confining them to tacks is an option. But a rather boring option. And above all I have to get over my guilt.

Reactions: triing and NickW
Thanks. That's great advice. Where's the "like" button when you need it...
You're right about those being different times. I remember stepping on nail with my flip-flops on and worrying more about my mother finding out about it...
I'll probably supplement his barefoot running with water shoes.

Oh yeah, been there.
Half the time when my kids run with me, they are great, enthusiastic, full of energy, way ahead of me; sometimes lately they whine and whine and whine about everything hurts and it's too fast (I'm the slowest runner ever)and whatnot to the point that if they actually had an injury, I'd probably not even realize and tell them to just tough it out. Good reminder for us all to check the alleged injury first in case it really is a deal.
I don't remember being barefoot as a kid, but I must've at some point, since I know I had some weird nail bit stuck in the ball of my foot for a couple of weeks until it worked itself out. Stuff happens; life is an adventure.
It's good for kids to learn that not every fun time (running) ends in a fun way, or is without risk. You did fine. Hey, at least you were sympathetic once you found the glass, right? :)

Yeah, I should probably have checked the injury before asking him to run on it but then again there was too much blood for me see anything anyway :) Just kidding, it wasn't that bad.
I was sympathetic all along. Besides he likes running. I just haven't mentioned anything about the piece of glass to his mother. She was upset enough with the flesh wound. She's not completely on board with the whole barefoot thing yet. I've asked the boys to run down the center of the road next time as there's less debris there. Although, there's probably more chances of getting hit by a car in that case.

Same here. I've been walking with my 2-year old son from our house to the park lately, and I always go BF. I used to take him in the car to the park last fall and let him run around BF, but walking from the house requires crossing all sorts of terrain, including grassy fields where there could be unforeseen dangers. I'd love for him to be BF but also want him to be safe. Plus if he ever did get an injury in his foot on my watch, my wife would never let me hear the end of it.

Be sure their tetanus shot is up-to-date. But ask him (them) what he would prefer to do. If he prefers barefoot, let him go barefoot. (My boys prefer to be barefoot, so I let them go barefoot everywhere possible, especially running.) If he prefers to wear shoes, then get him the most healthy shoes you can find. In the end, it's ultimately your decision, but right now, while they are young, it's good to let their feet be free.

He can't really talk yet, but sometimes he will actually grab his little leather sandals and whine for us to put them on. I like to let his feet be free of socks in the summer, but MAN those sandals make his feet stink to high heaven! I think he's too young for any kind of flip flops as he would likely just kick them off.

He's got those cheap water shoes I got for him, but without socks his feet get really stinky and sweaty in those, also.

They have flip-flops for toddlers and babies that are just like flip-flops, but they have an elastic band that goes around the heel, so they don't slip off.

I think you can get over it any time now. A broken leg and you'd be in trouble for making him run home on it. A bit of glass, not such a big deal. He's more than likely moved on long ago. Feet heal really quickly, anyway.

I agree with asking what he wants on his feet. That just seems to make sense.

Good luck with that whole parenting thing. It's always easier with someone else's kids and from a distance.

I've done it.

"Your wrist is not broken. Its not even swollen. Go to school"
"Fine, I'll take you to the ER but if its not broken you'll wish it was"
"Oh, so that's what a fracture looks like. Oops"

Reactions: dutchie53
LOL! @ paintboy.

Oh, they both love running barefoot. They've been doing it for about a month and they like the added dimension. It keeps their interest and they get to brag about it at school.
I think I'll keep them barefoot on the track and use water shoes for the road until their feet are little more conditioned.

Thanks

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7