Article: Barefoot Jury Duty By Ahcuah

SoleSolace

Barefooters
Sep 20, 2011
I could see the judge making the arguement that your being BF would interfere with the orderly administration of justice in one or all of the following ways: distracting officers of the court, distracting defendents/plaintiffs, and/or distracting your fellow jurors. In other words, by you deciding to remain BF, you are taking others' attention away from the case because they're 'stuck' considering whether or not is it appropriate for you to be wearing shoes in a courtroom.

That being said, in my humble opinion, nobody has a right to decide what you wear and when. I actually spent 3 weeks in middle school (I was all of 11 or 12), wearing hair bands in my hair because I was told boys were not allowed to do so. But, I'm just contrary like that. :) I was always taught, and believe to this day, if you're willing to accept the consequences for your actions, nobody can MAKE you do anything. Period. ;)

for more than 20-30 minutes (even flip-flops) before my feet start hurting terribly due to Morton's Neuroma and Plantar Fasciitis (both caused directly and indirectly by shoes). They would HAVE to dismiss me from serving.

That word "unconventional" can be a killer. Judges also have a lot of discretion in their courts which can cut both ways. His/Her honor might be a foot fetishist and be completely incapable of carrying on in a responsible, sober manner knowing that your feet are completely NAKED! Or he/she might be an antique old fart who's seen it all and just can't wait to retire in 4 months and wouldn't blink at bare toes or horns and a tail either for that matter.

Barefoot TJ wrote:

for more than 20-30 minutes (even flip-flops) before my feet start hurting terribly due to Morton's Neuroma and Plantar Fasciitis (both caused directly and indirectly by shoes). They would HAVE to dismiss me from serving.

See TJ, that'd be the major difference between you and me. You have a medical condition. I would do it just to stir up trouble. ;)

The major difference between you and me? Seriously? Me of all people? So what are you implying, that I can't wait to get back into shoes, after my surgery? That I wouldn't stand up for my rights otherwise? My point was... What are they going to do? Make me? Make me attend jury duty? -TJ

All I was implying was that you would have medical grounds to request either special dispensation from the court to remain barefoot or dismissal from jury duty, where as I would be asking simply to be difficult. Sorry if I offended.

Alrighty then... ;-)