Are multivitamins really necessary?

I was reading through this

I was reading through this thread and got to Raw Liver.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. :sick:

Daily supplements, I take em. I take:
[*]Vitimin D (Numbers are borderline and working indoors its hard to get more sun)[*]Salmon oil (Proven to be beneficial)[*]Glucosimine (Saved me from knee surgery)[*]CoQ10 because I take a statin. Nessesary![*]Niacin (Raise HDL)[*]A multivitimin because I know the food now days is totally rushed to the shelves and not nutrient dense
I have a friend that works in Produce. Good, fresh, vine ripened produce is a fantasy. Even when it says vine ripened it was still proabably gassed to force it ripe. The fields are overworked and the soil has low nutrients and that translates to poor nutrients in food.

Also, I read a few studies about RDA, they are the minimum numbers to keep you from being sick, not the optimal numbers to peak your health. Just a thought. The need to introduce ODR, optimal daily requirements

Hi DM,Well, I've been mainly

Hi DM,

Well, I've been mainly a vegetarian for around 30 years (I say mainly as I might eat some fish every couple of weeks). I've recently given up the vitamin pills and opted for the green smoothies instead.

I make one at the moment using Kale, Silverbeet (Chard), pear, avocado and pineapple. There is a great website that gives all the nutritional content of foods. Its a good way of seeing what combinations give you a good selection of vitamins.

Funny thing is, despite having heard many times over the years that I need to eat meat to be healthy, its basically crap. I hardly ever get sick, the last time I had a cold was years ago I run up to 30 miles a week, go to the gym 3 times a week.

Get yourself a powerful blender and just blend up those green leaves, parsely, spinach, celery, carrot tops anything green.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

Cheers

Neil

Some people need more of

Some people need more of certain nutrients: People with medical conditions, mental/emotional conditions, etc.

In addition, for many of us, it is just too difficult to eat the perfect diet on a daily basis. There are issues of time, money, and for many of us, family. I do my damndest to feed my kids well, but I am not going to go all gross nasty hippie on them and feed them stuff that will make them social pariahs--I strike a balance between good healthy food, okay food with little to no chemicals, and occasional junk. It is also important to me that we all eat as a family, which has necessitated my wife and I sometimes eating less.... sophisticated meals.

There is nothing wrong with taking multivitamins, but it should not replace, at the very least, an AWARENESS of a healthy diet and an ATTEMPT to eat as well as one can within the limits that life places upon us.

I take a few different supplements for a few different effects, and I am very happy with the results.

In short: If people think they need to take them, do so without guilt.

Uncle Al, I had to chuckle

Uncle Al, I had to chuckle when I saw your post. My kids eat weird stuff like chicken feet and broccoli and kidneys. I don't think anything they could eat would ever trump the shame of being in a barefoot running family. Right now, they are totally unaware of social difference (too young), but I expect the barefoot thing will eventually totally trump the fact that they don't eat mac and cheese, know what I'm sayin'?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7