Any BBF-runners?

not Buddhist (more of a "western philosophical Taoist" type) but I do meditate when I run. What do you do exactly?

Mikkel, That's my standard approach to running. I strive to just be present in the run. BF, I think it's easier. Not much choice in trail running. If concentration drifts from the moment I get hurt.

Reactions: jldeleon
Finally something I can relate to. I am buddhist. When I run, I go into this meditation faze and my mind kinda gets rid of stress and just enjoys the run.
I feel like a better person when I run and I feel like I am, in a way, meditating while I run BF.
This is one of the many reasons that I got hooked onto barefoot running.

That's exactly how I feel, Rus.

I have to agree with Rus. The best part is that the longer I run the more at peace I feel wi myself. I was watching something recently where an ultra runner commented that there was nothing that a long run couldn't get rid of. Some runs just need to be longer.

The only two times I ever felt "runner's high" was when I was running over eight miles, barefoot. It happened rarely for me, but those two times were incredible. I felt like I was on a conveyor belt with the scenery passing me by on either side, no loss of oxygen, as I felt I was just standing idle. Bizarre.

Not that anyone asked, but if you'd like to try something meditative and fun while running: chant your 'secret code' in time with your strides. You can chant it outloud or to yourself, whatever feels right.

The secret code: your birth numbers, in reverse order. You start with the year, then the month, day and hour and minute if you know them. I was born on Sep. 24th, 1963 at 4:24am so my code is:

1-9-6-3-0-9-2-4-0-4-2-4

And while running these numbers through my head (and legs, and arms, spine and belly), I'm think about turning the clock backwards, and returning to the minute of my birth, my first breath, my first glance at the world 'outside'.

After as while, the mind strays, it becomes difficult to hold onto the pattern. At that point you just let it go. And run. And breathe. And smile :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon