An interesting article which makes one wonder why anyone puts on shoes

I'll read this later. 

I'll read this later. Thanks, Para!

It's later and I read it. 

It's later and I read it. The author is fairly critical of shoes. His case is strong, and his expalnations clear. I wonder who'll read it and take it to heart enough to revert to mosccasins.

Very nice, thanks for

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Have you considered posting this article over at RW?

Bottom Line:  Shoes aren't

Bottom Line: Shoes aren't all they are cracked up to be. I'm stuck in Orlando this week (got to watch husband run Disney marathon though!) for a conference. Day one, wore very nice very cruel high heel pumps. Day two, wore soft star shoes (very tasteful black, but elf shoes nonetheless) but I sculked about, avoiding open places. Day three, bought a pair of dress pants that make elf shoes look better, walked around head held high.

Day four: converted two former college football players to the idea of running barefoot, feeling pretty good.

Yeah I agree with article

Yeah I agree with article 100%. It is a discussion I have had with folks many times. Most give me a stare like I speak another language. Sometimes I even see it on this board with some of my responses. Personally I can do without shoes the majority of the time. When I do have to put shoes on which is limited for work. I tend to find myself unhappy with the shoes on. Yeah they are min shoes, but min shoe industry has a long way to go to get it right. As I have a decent selection of shoes I'm finding myself in the process of starting to sell some of them. Or at least that is my intentions in days/weeks ahead.

What bothers me most is min shoe companies charge a lot of money as if their products are perfect. When they are in fact still needing numerous design enhancements. That they market shoes as "barefoot" like. The other thing that bothers me is these folks that have on shoes for running, and say they are running barefoot when they clearly are not. Or these shoe reviewers who seem to focus on barefoot running, but review shoes. Then compare it to BF running. IF your in a shoe you are not barefoot running. Your gait will never be natural in any shoe. This is just the bottom line.

quote from the article - "Most people, including medical practitioners and shoe people, test for shoe flexibility in a wrong manner, by grasping the shoe at both ends and bending the sole. But that flexes the shoe behind instead of at the ball. If the foot were flexed in the same manner, the five metatarsals would be fractured." It makes me so happy when others identify this. I totally see shoe reviewers doing this practice with pics on their reviews. It's just too funny, and cracks me up. These reviewers seem to have the physical ability to wear shoes, and run many miles in them. Though their knowledge on proper/natural shoe design seems to be limited. I say that just based on the actual review of the product. It seems they miss key elements of the shoe design. Really we need to be much more critical in these reviews so the companies can further improve design. We tell them they have a great shoe, and it gives them the impression their is limited room for improvement. My hopes is that in the future we will get new reviewers that desire to wear a shoe, but are forward thinkers. Forward thinkers that will be much more critical of shoe designs.....

At end of day the best shoe is no shoe, or a leather moc(not soft star moc. A real all leather moc on bottom, and top.).......

Problem with the moc is you

Problem with the moc is you either find a cheap "kit" that I doubt will make a suitable shoe (or at least not very durable), or the proper ones made by native americans (who know how to make one like it should be made) make the cost of VFFs seem quite inexpensive! Not to drag the thread away, but without a source, recommending people buy and use moccasins sort of leads to frustration. :-(

I was thinking the author of the article was in favor of a soft soled moccasin emphasizing "natural" foot movement and gait, as opposed to a rawhide sole. I can find numerous hard soled mocs out there that are not much different than a fancy dressed factory made shoe.

As far as hand made shoes go, huaraches being sold on the minimalist market are the cost leader still. Ironic, seeing as leather mocs were made to be inexpensive (just like huaraches), but not any longer. I can understand since most of them are beaded all over, but no one seems to make a "plain" version that would appeal to the people here. Ah well.

*edited to replace a word with a better meaning.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon