All this talk about winter running has me thinking about just NOT RUNNING

I agree with Swedish Pimple -

I agree with Swedish Pimple - take up cross-country skiing! I'll skip some runs if I can bust my skis out. I understand that X-country skiing uses a lot of the same muscles as running.

Personally, I love running in the winter. Ironically, it's the only time I'm warm. I get very cold when I am sitting still and it is less than 70 degrees. It doesn't matter how many layers I put on, I'm still freezing. But I get really toasty out running.

I meant to take a break from running this summer and do triathlons. Turned out, I was having so much fun running that I just ended up adding the biking and swimming on top of my running.

I get really hot too.  You

I get really hot too. You can find me running in short sleeve shirts during the winter. People already think I'm nuts, why not, right?

livebyfaith wrote:Yes you

livebyfaith said:
Yes you are correct, he just started running barefoot not long ago. I got to hear him speak a few months ago, and he admitted he was a big coach potatoe, and barely did any type of excecise. He said he was the biggest hypocrite because he wrote for men's health, outsider. sports illustrated, and here he was over weight doing nothing. After "Born to Run" is when he started to really get into running. Good for him though. He seems like a really chilled dude, and the way he talks about running I think he can either take it or leave it.

Well...he IS a writer. Writing does require a lot of time behind a desk with a pen in hand.

This will be my first winter

This will be my first winter running BF and I'm wondering how much cold I can take ....I think as long as the pavement heats up from the mid-afternoon sun I should be fine. Atlanta only gets one to two months of cold weather.... I like running when its 90 degrees on hot pavement keeps my muscles loosened up.
I don’t mind the Treadmill, this will give me a chance to catch up on my movie queue.... the treadmill belt gets very hot and that’s why I probably don't mind the hot pavement... I have no cold weather clothing, what does everyone wear? Wool, polypropylene or some other hi-tech materials?

In Atlanta?  Shorts, no

In Atlanta? Shorts, no shirt....LOL....

Here in PA...probably kilt/board shorts, thermal top, and wool hat ;-)...or maybe skip the thermal top and go shirtless like the Ice Man if it's dry out :-D...I like the idea of just my kilt and a wool hat with two feet of snow on the ground!!

Maybe by Feb. I will have to change my moniker to NoToesNate

Silly, I'm right there with

Silly, I'm right there with you. First few steps out the door for a winter run are brutal, though I warm up quickly. After a long run, though is hard, I am chilled to the bone (my body temp drops a few degrees, while I don't notice it when out there running all warm and toasty).

lmao Nate, I sure hope not!

At any rate, I'm not really looking forward to winter running much at all, I can't stand being in layers upon layers of clothes. However am very intolerant of cold too, so it's just a hard time of year all around.

How do you warm up your body

How do you warm up your body and your feet in the winter? Do you do some warm up indoors before going out, or foot massage ? I'm afraid of my feet getting cold and numb at the beggining of a Fall/Winter run.

I have all the proper running

I have all the proper running gear for winter. I have a few pair of running tights, then I wear running shorts over them. For my upper body, under armour mock long sleeve shirts, then I wear this awesome running winter jacket pullover I bought from EMS last year. Hat and gloves and good to go.

I have worn this outfit running in single digits last year and was comfy. People get the wrong idea you need to bundle up, but you don't. You just need to buy proper winter running gear, it can be costly be well worth it, especially if you hate treadmills or running indoors like me.

I run early morning so I would change, and do a few pushups just to get some blood flowing. I found if my core is warm, my feet do not need to be warmed. I have only ran barefoot in the teens last year a few times, for that I would warm up my feet on the base board heaters of our house, then head out.

I'm glad to see I wasn't

I'm glad to see I wasn't shouted out of town for posting blasphemy like this. I have just been noticing the last few winters that my motivation goes way down during the winter. I didn't think that it would be any easier now that I'm completely barefoot. If anything, it would be more discouraging. So my plan was just to stop denying that winter running sucks and make the most of it. Glad to hear that it is possible.

treeves wrote:Treadmills

treeves said:
Treadmills work.

Unfortunately, they only work at the store, because I can't afford to buy one. I know there are people who have the money to spend on either gym memberships or treadmills (and more power to them!), but I'm not one of them.

As for the winter, I'll put on shoes and keep running until it gets really really cold. Jan/Feb are usually our coldest months. As a mom of school-aged kids, it's really tough for me to run in the summer, due to childcare issues, so I take a break then, and try to run through the cold.

Check if there is a Fitness

Check if there is a Fitness 19 club near you.

$19.99/month is the real price, no contract.

There is always some kind of sale on, usually

$12.99-$16.99/month FOR LIFE!

Usually the $100 joining fee is waived as well.

You can freeze membership for the warm months by paying $5.00 per month, preserving your discounted rate whenj you start up again.

This way, even at the full $20/month, if you keep it active three months per year, your total cost is $105 per year. Not Bad! That's what I do.

Norm Deplume

Norm Deplume said:
Unfortunately, they only work at the store, because I can't afford to buy one. I know there are people who have the money to spend on either gym memberships or treadmills (and more power to them!), but I'm not one of them. As for the winter, I'll put on shoes and keep running until it gets really really cold. Jan/Feb are usually our coldest months. As a mom of school-aged kids, it's really tough for me to run in the summer, due to childcare issues, so I take a break then, and try to run through the cold.
I'm with you on that. I can't see spending money on a treadmill, plus I don't have any place in the house to put it. But I've noticed that running in the Winter is not so bad, other than having to wear shoes at times for protection against the cold, snow, and ice.

That sounds like an excellent

That sounds like an excellent gym, Board. Too bad we don't have any of those around here either. :(

Longboard wrote:Check if

Longboard said:
Check if there is a Fitness 19 club near you.

I'm a small-towner. There are two "fitness centers" here. One is locally-owned and the owners are jerks and it's $40 a month, and I'd rather not deal with them all the time. The other is a Snap Fitness, which is pretty bare bones and still $35 a month. I'll just rough it for $0 a month.

I'm starting to think again

I'm starting to think again about this whole concept of "not running". I wonder if taking a couple months off wouldn't be such a bad thing. If there is any time of year to stop running for a bit, this is the time of year. I used to think that conditioning was very important to keep up, but now I suspect that form is something that gets places in your brain and wiring to your muscles, and that is more important than actual conditioning.

I haven't stopped yet, but I'm definitely giving it some thought.

I  saw Mcdougall speak a few

I saw Mcdougall speak a few months ago, and he also mentioned about taking the winter off. Listening to Mcdougall talk can be very irritating. If you love to run why would the cold make you stop running? "Born to Run" is a great book and Mcdougall is a great writer, but he is the last person I would listen to when it comes to adivce on running.

I run all year, in fact winter running can be quite exciting. Put it this way, while you are out there running and battling through winter you will instantly be in shape for spring. I know some people that take winter off and they spend the whole spring trying to get back their conditioning, forget that.

Well said, Adam.  I couldn't

Well said, Adam. I couldn't agree with you more. McDougall's advice on this topic is just personal opinion really. Besides, I know what it's like to take three months off at a time a couple of times due to surgery and illness, and it's not fun. It's very difficult to get your conditioning back and you do lose the plantar skin conditioning as well, although it does seem to be coming back quicker this last go around.

If you just take off from

If you just take off from running though and not take off from all physical activities I don't think you'd have such a hard time coming back to it would you? I mean if you keep up your strength and aerobic base doing other activities, your muscle memory should kick in and the running conditioning won't be as hard as the first time around. I know I was able to ramp up mileage alot faster when I started running than alot of people can thanks to all the gym work I did.

Would doing weights and such in vffs help keep your foot strength up? I know weight lifters are starting to use them more and more so there must be some benefit. Well or if your home just go bf, but I can see gyms freaking out about bf weight lifting (you know because VFFs offer SO much protection). Plantar conditioning would still be a problem but that is already going to be an issue for all the people forced into minimal shoes because of the cold so what difference would it make if you just stop?

I guess if you are planning on running a marathon next year cutting out all running might not be a good plan, but if you just run less then 40 miles a week for basic fitness I don't really see how it would kill you completely to just stop running for a few months. But I don't really know much about running so this is all said in a quizzical "don't you kinda think? and please correct me if I'm off base" manner.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7