All this talk about winter running has me thinking about just NOT RUNNING

Of course all of that would

Of course all of that would help, AJB. One thing you could do is put sandpaper in your minimal shoes to help keep the skin conditioned though, and I'm only half not joking.

I think in terms of the

I think in terms of the plantar skin conditioning, those of us up North who aren't blessed with superior mind over matter skills and resort to shoes are going to face that problem with or without running. With 3 Winters as experience, I've found out that it doesn't really take all that long to build up back to top barefoot shape.

In terms of just not running, I wouldn't suggest lying on the couch, eating donuts and potato chips all Winter. I think exercise of some sort is a vital part of overall health.

However, many professional athletes and olympic athletes have an off season, where they don't do much in terms of their sport for months at a time. And I haven't seen books on training that don't advocate training cycles, where part of the time is spent cutting back on training, before ramping up for the next training cycle.

My recollection is that Last Place Jason took some time off last Winter, or at least was running only very minimally for a period of time.

I could never take the winter

I could never take the winter off just because it's winter. Being forced to take time off for an injury was torture for me because I truly love running. Why on earth would I want to take time off just because it's cold?? If it wasn't my passion, then maybe I would be tempted. But I love it too much; it keeps my mind and heart healthy!

Just do whatever makes you

Just do whatever makes you happy. Bottom line. :)

Having not run barefoot at

Having not run barefoot at all, in the last 50ish years, till last April I'm not too concerned about running through the winter in VFFs as it only took me a couple of weeks to develop tough enough plantar skin to go as far as I wanted this year.

I don't see the spring transition back to barefoot as being any kind of biggy! Most of the game is mental - many would tell you that I am :lol:

DNEchris wrote:Having not

DNEchris said:
Having not run barefoot at all, in the last 50ish years, till last April I'm not too concerned about running through the winter in VFFs as it only took me a couple of weeks to develop tough enough plantar skin to go as far as I wanted this year.

I don't see the spring transition back to barefoot as being any kind of biggy! Most of the game is mental - many would tell you that I am :lol:

Great post! and so true. Every winter I have this hard time knowing that i can't be 100% barefoot, but once I get in my Vibrams and the temps are in the 20's, I have accepted the fact. Someday I WILL be like Barefoot Rick!

It's not bad actually, I have about 3 months of not being 100% barefoot, once Mid- March rolls around goodbye Vibrams.

The game is 100% mental. To much analyzing goes into barefoot running, it's not that hard.

After the thaw of winter, it took me about two weeks as well to be in full swing. The spring transition is hugely over-rated.

This is very encouraging to

This is very encouraging to me! I hate putting FF on because I love my tough feet. So seriously, a couple weeks and I can get it all back again?! This question has been driving me nuts lately!

Breaks can be mental, too. I

Breaks can be mental, too. I am running right now, but I am taking a break from tracking miles or thinking about running as anything but fun. I'll take a new class at the gym if I want without worrying about pulling a muscle that will affect my training. I'll run with people purely to be social. I'll loaf if I want or just do upper body workouts if I want. I know in a couple weeks that five mile race I signed up for in February will start calling and my legs will get restless. I think this time of year is just a real downtime for all runnners, not just BF runners. I think you will all be singing a different tune after the solstice in a couple weeks when the days start getting longer. That's right, friends, longer days in 2 weeks! Keep your eye on the prize. More sun may even mean more barefoot miles.

Thanks, J!  That is

Thanks, J! That is encouraging.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts