Alex Found a New Home!

alexsbrown

Barefooters
Oct 10, 2010
I am so excited to find this on-line community -- I hope this becomes a new "home" for me. If I am new to barefoot running, but have been running and doing Tai Chi for years, and barefoot running feels so natural. Hopefully I can start helping newcomers soon.

I have very high arches and was told to stop running in high school after suffering from stress fractures. I was told I might be able to run a few miles a day after I recovered, but I would never again be able to do the 10-mile training sessions I had worked up to.

I have been running off and on for years, trying to find a way to run that does not put too much stress on my arches and knees. When I could not run, I did Tai Chi. I found it was a good way to recover from foot and knee pain. Tai Chi's mindful movements helped me find ways to move pain free.

I just read "Born to Run" and was initially upset with the book. I wanted some instruction on how to get started! I kept reading it, and felt inspired to go out and try it, but I was waiting for the "how to" section.

As I finished the book, I realized that I already had my instruction. I just needed to figure out a way to do just the best stuff that both my running coach and my Tai Chi instructors had been trying to teach me. I started changing my stride in my running shoes, and was able to run with much less foot and knee tension. It just felt good.

After finishing the book, I decided to just give a barefoot run a try. I saw YouTube videos of Barefoot Ted running in city streets, and I just had to know what barefoot running on asphalt felt like. I could not even imagine! Too weird.

As soon as I took off my shoes and started running on asphalt tracks near my home, my stride changed even more drastically, and I realized -- wow. This is fun. I did 5k barefoot that first day over a variety of terrain. I normally do 7k, and part of me really wanted to do my whole regular run. It felt so nice doing it barefoot. I remembered the "start slow" advice that I had read and cut the last loop off my normal run.

I felt great during the run and after. My arches and knees actually felt better than usual. I felt the workout a little more in my calves, but I was used to feeling that way after doing a lot of Tai Chi. It was just new to feel that way after running!

I did overdo it the next day -- I did 5k of barefoot running, with about half the run on a flat, fine, gravel trail. My soles got really sensitive, so I put on sandals to run another 5k back home. I cannot remember the last time I even tried to do 10k in a day, and it felt great.

My feet were a bit torn up and sensitive after the 10k. I got my first toe blisters that day. The next day, I put my shoes back on to run and laughed. I had blisters, but none in the places where I used to have them. My shoes felt so warm and comfy in these cushioned shoes. I used the same gait that I had barefoot and did a very comfortable 5k.

I just read this wonderful "how to" article in the library. I guess I skipped steps 1-4 and went straight to step 5! :)

I do not recommend this approach to anyone who is getting started here. I think I got away with it because I have always loved being barefoot and have been practicing Tai Chi barefoot for years on a variety of outdoor surfaces. Plus, my high arches have meant that I never got "good" arch support from regular running shoes. I was probably easing into a barefoot style over the past 10 years. When I read "Born to Run" it helped me put together all these separate things I had been practicing, and it just felt great.

When I am not running I am a project manager, consultant, professional speaker, and corporate trainer. I look forward to sharing stories with everyone here. I love to write and to speak, so hopefully I will be able to share some videos or articles as I learn. If anyone wants help editing or proofreading their barefoot running articles, let me know. I really enjoy helping people find their own "voice" when they write, and can help clean up any technical problems in your writing or speaking.

If you want to know WAY too much about me, read everything at http://www.alexsbrown.com and http://rlprj.com. Most of the stuff there is about project leadership (my professional side), but I believe that running is life and project management is life -- perhaps for me project management is running, too.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this community. I am looking forward to learning and growing with you all.

Welcome Alex!  You sound like

Welcome Alex! You sound like someone whol will bring good stuff with you into the community mix here. BTW, 15K in 2 days, 10K of them your first time BF, would indeed qualify for an "overdoing it" award. Most folks would have been lamed. The heart of BF running as it's done by most folks here is "listen to your feet." If yours are happy with more, mazel tov!. Mine usually say something more like "that was wonderful! Now give us a day or two to appreciate it before you take us out again."

Welcome, Alex.  Great intro.

Welcome, Alex. Great intro. Glad you are finally finding your footing, barefoot or not.

We are always looking for writers, so if you have any writings you would like to contribute to the BRS and its members, please forward them onto me at [email protected]. Thanks.

JosephTree wrote:  If yours

JosephTree said:
If yours are happy with more, mazel tov!.

Twice in one day amongst runners! At the 5K race today the first place winner in the 60 and over female division told me her son was busy playing in his Klezmer band. Boy was she surprised that the barefoot guy was a member of the tribe!

Welcome! I agree, your Tai

Welcome! I agree, your Tai Chi has probably taught you both how to relax, the most important aspect of barefooting in my opinion, as well as strengthened your feet enough to make you less injury prone.

Thanks for the warm

Thanks for the warm welcomes, Joseph,TJ, Phil, BlindBoy and Longboard. I am exploring the community here and loving it.

By the way, 5k this morning barefoot on a variety of asphalt and grass, so my feet are suviving (and even enjoying) what I am throwing at them. :)

I thought of another relevant "intro" item. I use a biofeedback/relaxation device called HeartMath. I just tried using it to mesure my heart rhythms on a short run, and my little electonic gizmo likes my new stride. When I get into a nice, relaxed stride, it goes "blue" or "green" for me. That indicates a state of relaxation. So I guess that is more evidennce to suppport the notion that relaxing is part of barefoot running.

If anyone else is using HeartMath or want to know more about it, let me know. I am a reseller of theirs, and am always happy to spread the word. (But I hate pushy sales people, so do not worry about me hounding you for a sale. Tell me once that you'te not interested, and I promise to give you a rest.)

Also, I am a member of the National Speakers Association, Project Management Association, Internation Project Management Association, and a Toastmaster. If there are any fellow PMs or speakers out there, feel free to contact me about those topics too.

Glad to have you here Alex,

Glad to have you here Alex, is always nice to have people coming from different directions to reach the same point. Barefoot running had gotten me thinking more about mind/body relaxation things, such as yoga and tai chi, and there seem to be some valuable lessons to learn about barefooting and the body in general from these practices. (Such as Nates article on breathing which was yoga related.) If you have any crazy tai chi/running epiphanies feel free to share things that you find out, and any tai chi techniques that you find useful to think about or use while running.

Hi Alex, I sent you an

Hi Alex, I sent you an email. Please let me know if you did not get it. Thanks. -TJ

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts