Aerobic exercises?

Hobbit

Barefooters
Oct 20, 2012
France
Hello everybody,
Recently I've begun to train using the Maffetone Method. One of the key points is to avoid anaerobic training and exercises. I would like to know if exercises with instability devices such as these big inflatable balloons or swinging rods ("flexi bar") would be aerobic or anaerobic exercises. There would be no extra weight training involved.
Thanks!

do you have any video or links? i have no idea what your talking about! wear your heart rate monitor and that will help. i do body weight training and climb trees. you can't avoid going anaerobic, ever, just if the exercise is anaerobic don't do it to fatigue. people usually will do ST to fatigue and that's why maffetone just says not to do it during your aerobic phase.

funny how something that should be so simple is so complicated, right?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your answer. You're so right: it's complicated! :D
If I understood correctly, Maffetone advises against weight training even though you usually would stay below your magic MAF- number doing it.
Doing Flexi-Bar exercises such as these (german website, but videos give a good idea what it is all about)
http://flexi-bar.com/de/de/flexi-bar-uebungsvideos
my heart rate never rises above 100 neither (my magic number being 130).
But nevertheless even a 15 minute workout is quite tiring.
I used to do them regularly before I went all Maffetone because it helps with a diversity of backpains.
And I think it helps with core stability.
After the first month of Maffetone method (having stopped these kinds of exercises because I had a doubt) I can see a very small improvement with the MAF-test, which I wouldn't want to blow...

i don't know. looks like it's a bit fatigue inducing. with the help of some debaters and doubters we figured out Maffetone has softened his stance, a little, on weightlifting. you can do it during your aerobic phase but not to fatigue. i don't think that flexi-bar qualifies.

I'm doing Maff style running and added in some upper body strength training a couple weeks ago....hasn't affected my Maff training so far but I didn't try any strength stuff for the legs on purpose because of the possible conflict with the aerobic stuff. I'll be watching watching closely for any trouble though.

i don't know. looks like it's a bit fatigue inducing. with the help of some debaters and doubters we figured out Maffetone has softened his stance, a little, on weightlifting. you can do it during your aerobic phase but not to fatigue. i don't think that flexi-bar qualifies.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I got this right: do you mean I can do flexi-bar exercises, because they would not qualify as weightlifting or do you mean, I should not do them because they would not qualify as aerobic exercise and are fatigue inducing?

they look more fatigue inducing. you should know more than i do as you've done it and i haven't. just my observation from the video. looks like you would get tired holding that up and shaking it like that for so long. ha!

mokaman, do your legs too. you need balance. only doing upper will create an imbalance. not good. remember to not do it to fatigue. i just finished listening to Maffetone on Endurance planet. let me see if i can pull up the link since i jut shut the window.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-p...ting-for-athletes-strength-training-and-more/

if you download it you can fast forward and rewind otherwise it will play straight through. he talks about weightlifting at the very end.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon