Achilies pain

shawnsts

Barefooters
Nov 22, 2010
I have been running BF for 6months and my achilies are killing me. I have been a runner all my life and never had apin. Now I run BF and my achillies is killing me. I don't want to give up on BF running but I don't know what to do. Any tips on how to get rid of the pain?

Do you notice that your

Do you notice that your calves are tighter than they ever have been? If so, you probably need to stretch your calves more, before and after running, and periodically throughout the day. You can also use a roller on them to loosen up the fibers. Tight calves lead to Achillles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis, so it's a good idea for "all" runners to keep their calves as loose as possible as often as possible.

If you were a girl, high

If you were a girl, high heels would explain some of it. :)

But I second TJ's suggestion to roll the calves with maybe using a tennis ball or baseball to work some of the trigger points as well.

Also, it helps to relax your calves and focus on lifting your feet while running- I thought I was until I paid more attention to my form and it made a difference.

I'm with TJ on this one. Make

I'm with TJ on this one. Make sure to warm up a bit and then stretch your calves a lot and roll them out with a foam roller or rolling pin.

Build up some flexibility in

Build up some flexibility in your calves to aid in the range of motion barefoot running requires. If you swim and bike then jump off and run your calf muscle is going to be tight as all hell. Warm them up properly and stretch them after you do any excercise.

I started having achilles

I started having achilles pain about 5 months into my barefoot running journey. Whenever I wore my VFFs it exacerbated it. It really flares up if I try running sprints or hills. What helps me a lot is stretching on the wall and using a nerf ball (golf ball would work too) to target the "spot" in the tendon thats bugging me. The spot is about 2 inches above the back of my heel. I will often press the ball in my foot as far as I can and hold for about 2 minutes. Its really painful, but it seems to pay off.

Kelly Starret has some good ideas to release the tendon on his blog. Nevermind his ADHD. Dude is really hyper but his stuff has been working for me. Here's the video of the stretch I do which helps a lot. Another thing you can do is massage out the tendon with the shaft of the barbell. You roll the back of your calf and achilles on the bar. I haven't done it yet, but its looks painful enough that it might work. Find the pain and ease into it but target the area for a good 2 minutes.

This is what helps for me. Maybe you can get something out of it.

I also developed pain in my

I also developed pain in my heel when I started barefoot running, just on the left foot. I researched it and found that it might be that my calf muscles are too tight.

I now roll the calf using a rolling pin or a 2 litre bottle and it has really helped a lot. It hurts when you hit the right spot but its a good hurt :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7