2011 BRS Meetup ideas.... Mind the Ducks

Terry the Goofy is awesome

Terry the Goofy is awesome and I recommend it for everyone or at least running a Disney race. they put on a show like no one else does and it's a great experience. i ran goofy this past january but broke my big toe after the half and wound up only being able to clock a 6 hour marathon the next day so i want to redo it. i'm not sure if i'll go bare for the whole thing, part, or just wear my vffs yet. i think i'm just going to play it by ear when i get there. i also am not sure if they are barefoot friendly or not, something i have to look into. i'll be doing the disney land half in september to complete the coast to coast challenge!

Awesome...I'm signed up for

Awesome...I'm signed up for the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge as well! Fortunately I live in Tampa so it's a short drive for me to get to Disney World. My family and I will be staying on the property at the Shades of Green military resort. I ran the Disney marathon shod in January of 2009 then spent a year trying to recover from HEINOUS plantar fasciitis and knee pain. I'm hoping to avoid both of those this time. Right now my plan is to run in VFFs because I have no idea whether I'll get my soles tough enough for that distance by then. Right now I'm just trying to work my way through some TOFP. Before the TOFP I was up to three miles barefoot. I've got a long way to go.

I start training specifically for the Goofy Challenge in June.

We'll have to link up for some chow and beers or something after the run in celebration. That would be sweet if we could link up with some more BRS Goofy Challenge runners that weekend. I ought to see if there is a post for this race in the Forums. If not I'm going to start one to see who else might be doing it.

The Goofy Challenge is an

The Goofy Challenge is an item that could be added to the Florida Chapter once you guys get enough interest to make it a meetup. Be sure to contact Sherrhod. She's the Florida Chapter President. She will help you organize this event.

I'll ask KB if he will let

I'll ask KB if he will let some of us crash on his floor and couch for Surf City. ;-)

I wouldn't bother trying to

I wouldn't bother trying to remove it. Sometimes it's best to cross-reference as much as possible anyway. I would definitely add it to the Florida chapter though with you and Sherrhod as the contact people for the event. If you are unable to do it, PM her and ask her to help you with it. Include as much info as possible to make it enticing and easy for your chapter members to access (photos, links, etc.) Thanks.

I was thinking, in order for

I was thinking, in order for us to get more of us out there--in areas where we wouldn't be otherwise, as in traveling to other states--we should consider offering a room in our homes to other barefoot runners. It would really help cut down on travel costs and make the trip more affordable for others. Just a thought.

by the time I get back to the

by the time I get back to the US you will have well established group meets, I can't wait!!!

Warren, we were at Shades last week for our daughter's wedding. The renovations are amazing! She was married in the Gazebo and reception on the lobby balcony. We have stayed there on and off for years so seeing all the new changes was very cool.

TJ, I wanted to reply to this

TJ, I wanted to reply to this since I inadvertantly had to run a nice section of Surf City barefoot last weekend.

I dressed up in my Kilt and Lunas like I always do on race day and me and a friend took off on a 7:25 - 7:30 pace for the full marathon. I didn't pay too much attention to the first 8 miles but nothing seemed too rough out there. There were a few transitions from pavement to paved bike paths and such which may contain some debris such as tree droppings that could hurt but nothing major. There was also a section containing a small rise in elevation which could force you to push off if you were trying to maintain a quick pace.

Now mile 8 is where it got interesting for me. The knot under the bottom of my left sandal broke and so I stopped to take them off, told my partner to continue on without me, and I'd try to tackle the course barefoot. Much better then I thought. The asphalt was really nice and I was able to get back to my pace and even catch up to my buddy (got a nice look of astonishment from him as well). There were a few sections that were a tad rough and I decided to save my feet by either running on the white line or on sections that were a little smoother due to built up tar/oil. Nothing really bothered me much and we were still able to cruise at a 7:25 pace and even dip into the 6:00's on the downhill portions.

At around mile 14 we started an out n back section where I got to what the future had in store and I started to get worried.

Mile 18 arrived and we transitioned from the main road to a bike path running along the beach. Think of chip n seal on a bike path with a gravelly dirt trail running alongside it. Pain! Again I said good bye to my friend and decided to try walking it. Even walking on the small gravel path wasn't happening as it hurt too much and was causing me to limp.

Soon the 3:30 pace group caught up and passed me and I started becoming frustrated since I was hoping for a 3:20 finish time. I then realized it would be quicker to relace the sandals then to continue on like I was. And so I stopped and fixed the sandals. The sandals made the path tolerable but I could still feel everything below my feet. The crappy section of the path lasted for about a mile then became smooth. We then turned around and ran the section again.

I ended up with a 3:30:30 finish time but no thanks to that section. Surf City is mostly barefootable but that section will have your feet killing you. All in all it is about 2 miles of hell.

Shacky, that would be a

Shacky, that would be a perfect race review. Would you mind adding it to the Race & Trail Review tab above. Appreciate it! Congrats on the 3:30. Not so bad considering, you had to stop a couple of times and mess with your huaraches.