2011 Barefoot/Minimalist Shoe Events- Ideas, etc.

I'm working on events for 2011 that directly or indirectly involve barefoot and/or minimalist shoe running. It could include races or any other sort of meetup. So far, this is what I have:

• Nakedfoot series of 5ks in various cities at various times
  • Mind the Ducks in Rochester, NY on May 14th (not really a barefoot event, but a lot of us will be there)
  • John and Maggie Durant's 2nd Annual NYC Barefoot Run (mid to late September)
What else is on the radar?

The Barefoot 5k in New

The Barefoot 5k in New Gloucester, Maine on Memorial Day weekend deserves a mention (already has the Stomp of Approval). I'm not sure if they require footware for the other length races or if they just recommend it.

http://www.pinelandfarms.com/Barefoot.html

Don't forget about the

Don't forget about the International Barefoot Running Day on May 1, idea from Paleo who is also heading this event up worldwide for the BRS. That's the one I emailed you about, Jason, and you said you would contact the big guns about.

There is already a Naked Foot 5K in Colorado run by the BRS Colorado Chapter President, Scott Jones. We gave them our Stomp of Approval, and they held their first Naked Foot 5K this past August. Are you working with Scott on these Naked Foot races?

I'll resend my email, Jason.

I'll resend my email, Jason.

I think the international

I think the international barefoot running day is a great idea and can be an excellent focus for any of us who are interested in promoting BF/minimal running.

That's because it's worldwide, with local people coordinating any activity they want in their area. No travel is involved, and efforts can be matched to local preferences. It's very similar to a successful event in the craft world "Worldwide Knit In Public Day" which brought some empowerment to crafters and positive media attention.

In my mind that's the major thing the BRS has "on the radar" for 2011, and I'm sure we'll be able to do something in Oregon.

The Mind the Ducks is

The Mind the Ducks is supposed to be a BRS meetup, sort of like a convention I'm thinking, but is really not a BFR/MR event. Of course, if you guys want to create one for the BRS, that would be very welcome. I will help however I can, but I have already committed to the All American 5K locally, our second year, and that along with my other running club duties and the BRS stuff, I will be taxed, I'm sure. Still, I would like to get out and travel to see my BFR friends though, so if you guys come up with something for like summer 2011, I will try to get there...as long as my feetsies cooperate (and I'll try to make it to Mind the Ducks).

TJ is right- Mind the Ducks

TJ is right- Mind the Ducks isn't an official meetup per se. It's a 12 hour ultra with a pretty competitive field (last year's winner ran about 87 miles). Still, there will be some of us there trying to push the barefoot envelope. Think of it as a good "graduate" course in barefoot running. :)

More importantly, it should make for a rockin' party atmosphere. Jesse Scott and I are contemplating some sort of beer/miles challenge... basically see how much beer we can put back while still running a significant distance.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon