Starting a new diet

And to all this, I say, "F---" diets. Just eat better. Not perfect. Just, better. It's not til I changed this mind-set that Ifinally lost weight.

On this topic I'm not a newbie, having lost a little over 50 lbs over the last 12 months

If you go "on a diet," that implies that one day you may go "off it." Most do, and most regain the weight and then some. I decided that instead of focusing on weight, I'd instead focus on eating foods that would support my overall health. I'm 55 with a family history of heart disease so that seemed far more important than just losing weight.

My way likely won't appeal to a meat-and-potatoes guy (which I very much used to be). But focusing more on nutrition and less on the scale is, IMHO, something that everyone can agree on.

Ok folks, my regular diet, you know the stuff you eat, is not to bad and I was very very slowly losing the weight I had put on from my two back surgeries. I am doing this change in diet to get the rest of the weight off as fast as I can. I know I can keep the weight off just with my normal diet, thats not the problem, it's just losing all that weight (about 20-25lbs now).

Deal breaker, bro.
Yah, especially during pre-Carnival and Carnival. But the reward was a $3000 modeling job with Ford agency in Rio afterwards (a deodorant commercial in which I pretended to be a rock climber). And I needed the money at the time to pay rent while I was studying Portuguese. Once I got the weight off, I could go back to enjoying Brazil's excellent lagers.

I don't think that anyone has asked Nick how much weight he wants to lose per week. People have posted completely different strategies based on different rates. I personally like a fast pace to minimize the amount of time on a calorie-reduced diet and to keep the motivation high. Some people like the slow burn over months.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't think that anyone has asked Nick how much weight he wants to lose per week. People have posted completely different strategies based on different rates. I personally like a fast pace to minimize the amount of time on a calorie-reduced diet and to keep the motivation high. Some people like the slow burn over months.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! The faster the pace the better right now and not just to keep the motivation high but to hopefully help take the physical stress from the excess weight off. I could continue on this extremely slow pace that my normal diet is taking, which may take me another 2-3 years to get all the weight off from my back surgeries, but I am sure that the excess weight is also contributing to my injuries, which then slows the taking of the weight off because of taking time off to heal.

Oh and my wife had apparently weighed herself this morning and has lost 3 1/2 pounds herself! I don't feel guilty now! It also helps to keep her motivated I think because she was having a hard time believing that she would lose any weight with this diet because she has had problems losing weight from diet alone in the past.

I think particularly if poor eating habits are part of the weight problem, then Sid's higher paced dieting tactic will be the way to go. Cut out all the crap immediately and reduce portions! There's no other way around it. Once you've done that, then let exercise take care of the rest.

Nick, many great weight loss stories from members on here and lots of great tips. Some lose fast, some lose slow, but the common factors with most will be: eating good quality, healthy food, controlling portions, and increasing activity. I know schedules are fixed and life is busy, but if you can find a low to moderate intensity exercise that you can do for 1 to 2 hours, you would see some great results. I know running is out because of your PF. Didn't you use to cycle? Lee's rowing might be a good idea. I'm going to check it out for colder weather cross training.

Rick, I've been slowly building back into barefoot running the last week or so and seem to be doing well with the low mileages and slow slow slow pace. I've also been doing the gym and some weights as well.

Reactions: jldeleon
Lee's rowing might be a good idea. I'm going to check it out for colder weather cross training.
Rick, I got a Concept II D rower and have been very happy with it. The Concept II rowers retain their value very well, so if you get bored with rowing you should be able to sell it for about 60-70 percent of its new price. I picked up a barely used machine for $600 and it works really well. Also, check out the C-breeze (http://www.ps-sport.net/) for a little free ventilation.

Reactions: Sid
Good to hear about the running Nick. I was thinking while you are working on building the running back up, a machine for home, something for you to do while on kid duty, for an extended period of time. I hate machines myself, but they do serve a good purpose for certain conditions. Sorry about the overuse of commas and run on sentences, I really need to take a grammar refresher.

Rick, I got a Concept II D rower and have been very happy with it. The Concept II rowers retain their value very well, so if you get bored with rowing you should be able to sell it for about 60-70 percent of its new price. I picked up a barely used machine for $600 and it works really well. Also, check out the C-breeze (http://www.ps-sport.net/) for a little free ventilation.
Thanks Lee, I know you've given these recommendations before and I never followed through, but I will check it out. I need to do something in addition to running.

Thanks Lee, I know you've given these recommendations before and I never followed through, but I will check it out. I need to do something in addition to running.
Opps, I couldn't remember if I was replying to you or someone else. It's taken a while for each BRS regular to come into focus. Like you say, machines are boring. I'm working on recording Vikings games and watching them at night while rowing, but it's hard with the little ones around wanting to jump on Daddy to ride along.

Reactions: Sid
Good to hear about the running Nick. I was thinking while you are working on building the running back up, a machine for home, something for you to do while on kid duty, for an extended period of time. I hate machines myself, but they do serve a good purpose for certain conditions. Sorry about the overuse of commas and run on sentences, I really need to take a grammar refresher.
I use the bike in my gym as needed and then I also go for walks with the boy on my off days so that I still keep things loose. Seems the less I move the more I stiffen up.

I don't know how your back is. Before getting back into running, I lost quite a bit of weight with the Turbofire videos. It does involve a good amount of twisting and jumping. I suppose it's primarily geared towards ladies, but they demonstrate very good form. There's a few guys in the videos, as well, to make it gender inclusive.

The Insanity and Asylym videos are good too, but their form isn't very good, and the moves are not synchronized to the music. I enjoyed the Turbofire videos much more. Did I mention that they display very good form? I think that being able to visualize good form is very important.

I don't know how your back is. Before getting back into running, I lost quite a bit of weight with the Turbofire videos. It does involve a good amount of twisting and jumping. I suppose it's primarily geared towards ladies, but they demonstrate very good form. There's a few guys in the videos, as well, to make it gender inclusive.

The Insanity and Asylym videos are good too, but their form isn't very good, and the moves are not synchronized to the music. I enjoyed the Turbofire videos much more. Did I mention that they display very good form? I think that being able to visualize good form is very important.

Nick, your fusion is at L5/S1??? NO twisting. ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7