Starting a new diet

Well, weighed myself today despite my personal rule of only weighing myself once a week. 2 1/2 pounds lost between yesterday and today. Not sure what to make of that because both times that I weighed myself were right as I woke up, so I didn't put in or release any extra weight before weighing myself. I was pretty hungry when I went to bed, but not so much so that it was really uncomfortable. My wife on the other hand is having a hell of a time on this diet and is quite grumpy... I don't think she is going to make it more than a couple more days. She went to bed grumpy from hunger and then woke up much much much worse this morning. It doesn't help when her boss loves to bake and brings in random cakes or cookies every few days (yesterday was a chocolate cake and my wife amazingly had the will power to say no, not sure that will happen today though...).

Reactions: Sid
Hide the scale Nick. Your weight will fluctuate daily. It's ok if you see a lower reading, but you will be upset when it goes the other way.

Good to see the team effort. Help each other through the rough patches. Got to do something about the boss. He/she? means well, but have your wife explain the situation. It's almost impossible to avoid those treats if they are constantly available and in full view.

Agreed Rick, that's why I have a rule about only looking at the weight once a week. The scale is in a bathroom it typically isn't (this way the wife can use it to) so when I saw it at 6am this morning I couldn't resist. As far as my wifes boss, she is a very nice lady and she did not mean to almost derail her and after my wife explained to her she was very apologetic. They are friends so, although today she had my wife go to McD's for her while my wife was going to Haggens for a Cobb Salad. How mean, but at least it's a good thing my wife HATES fast food. She did say it was tempting though just so she could have a full belly. She does still have to worry about dinner tonight as she goes from work to class and then gets an hour break and then goes to another class. Hopefully she can make good decisions for dinner too.

Well, weighed myself today despite my personal rule of only weighing myself once a week. 2 1/2 pounds lost between yesterday and today. Not sure what to make of that because both times that I weighed myself were right as I woke up, so I didn't put in or release any extra weight before weighing myself.
Can't say what happened in your situation. I routinely gain 2-4 pounds when carbing up. Same happens when I carb down, although it takes a few days to come off. Most of it is water weight.

Agreed Rick, that's why I have a rule about only looking at the weight once a week.
Nah, I weigh and measure body fat daily. However, I also put it in spreadsheet which calculates the average over the last 7 days. That's what I care about. Otherwise, how would anyone know by weighing once a week, if they just had a massive fluctuation based on water weight, or bowel and bladder contents? That's why scientists measure average mpg, average snowfall, average temperature, etc.

They are friends so, although today she had my wife go to McD's for her while my wife was going to Haggens for a Cobb Salad. How mean, but at least it's a good thing my wife HATES fast food.
Bah, if they're good friends, then your wife can tell her friend, "no thanks!" On the other hand, your wife could bring in junk food and just not partake. We have a fella at work who does that.

My weight doesn't typically fluctuate much because I weigh at the same moment every time, meaning right after first morning pee right after I wake up. Typically I am within a half pound either way. I used to weigh myself religiously everyday and take my water and bodyfat readings too, but I got tired of all the work when it was almost the exact same day in and day out.

I used to weigh myself religiously everyday and take my water and bodyfat readings too, but I got tired of all the work when it was almost the exact same day in and day out.
I agree. No progress would be pretty disappointing. I've stopped a few times myself, when I've fallen off the wagon and there was no change.

I personally think, even more disappointing would be putting in all that work and getting discouraged because I had too much salt or carbs the night before a weigh in. Or more damaging would be overconfidence from thinking that I made significance progress, which actually resulted from fluctuations in water weight.

Well, I am taking the plunge and am going to be starting a new "diet" on Monday. It's Bob Harpers (from the biggest loser) The Skinny Rules.
After flipping through the book, it seems to have a lot of good points.
And a few morsels of psuedoscience:
Omega-3 Supplements Don’t Lower Heart Disease Risk After All
The China Study
New Study: Skipping Breakfast is Healthy
Impact of breakfast on daily energy intake - an analysis of absolute versus relative breakfast calories

So, if the book works out... Awesome!

If not, don't be afraid to take the good points and modify the ones that don't work. Personally, I'm not a fan of generic rules that involve timing calories and intake. I low-carb throughout my workday. Since I just sit in an office, why would I need a "real breakfast"? I carb up on days that I strength train after work, with an exercise shake before I leave work, and a glass of organic grape juice (pure sugar!) right before the workout. I might even have a bagel before bedtime, so I don't go to bed hungry. I'll burn off any excess carbs with an early morning run the day after.

Generally, the book has some really nice points, but don't be afraid to modify for success! The key is really to find out what works for you. Good luck!

Ya Sid, I agree with a lot of his points, and not on some. I slightly modify it but am trying to stay as close to it as I can. I am going to keep giving it a go for a little bit although I have developed a slight headache last night and throughout the day today. I imagine it is to do with diet change. Never had the carb flu before so I don't know if this is it for me, but I've felt weak and almost mild flu like (achy) with the headache. Maybe that is part of it, I dunno.

Interesting article Sid. I definitely had the muscle weakness today as well as the headache that started last night. I've never believed in completely or nearly completely cutting carbs before. I've known numerous people who had problems due to this. One guy I know blew an O ring if you catch my drift (due to constipation).

Hey Nick, I wish you all the success on this. You're right it's kind of a Catch-22 between running better and weighing less. You might try a different aerobic exercise while you're building up your barefoot stamina again. I did a lot of rowing while I was working through my top-of-the-foot-pain, but now that my running is going well, I only row once or twice a week because it's so frickin' boring. Still, it's a good complement to running and weights.

As for diet, I have nothing really to add to all the great comments so far as well as your own accumulating knowledge, so I'll just write what I'm doing right now, in case it gives you some ideas. I've lost 30-35 pounds over the last 13 months, mostly through exercise, as my diet hasn't changed much--mostly I've just gotten rid of box cereal for breakfast.

Breakfast: mixed nuts and some dried fruit, one glass of OJ.

Brunch (I wake up around 4 or 5, so by 9am I'm hungry again): yoghurt with fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, blackberries). (BTW, I stir clear of all lowfat or nofat stuff. Right now I'm getting into the Greek yoghurt [I'm a little slow to hear about new trends].)

Lunch: raw veggies and fruit (carrot, cauliflower or broccoli, green apple, & grapes).

Dinner: grilled flesh and veggies (salad or grilled or cooked). Here I like to follow the 80% rule--never eat until you're completely full, so that when you wake up you're somewhat fasted, ready to eat. I usually have 1-2 glasses of beer or wine with dinner too. I should probably cut this out, but I'm middle-aged dammit, I need something to take the edge off!

I also read somewhere that you should eat your last meal 4-5 hours before you're sleep, so that your stomach is empty while you asleep (it's better at converting food to fat when you're resting). I used to do this when I was a bachelor, but with my present schedule it's not possible.

I've always been a pretty healthy eater, but now that I'm more religious about it, it's become downright hard to eat the occasion chip or pie. It doesn't taste good and feels like a rock in my stomach, so the better you eat, the easier it becomes, and your appetite changes. Also, now that my mileage is starting to increase, and my pace is up, my weight loss is starting to accelerate again. I know it's contrary to established opinion, but I feel like I burn more calories when I push my running, rather than doing more easy runs. I'm still about 15-20 pounds from where I would like to be, and as Ske says, the last bit to go is the gut--simply because that's the best place for your body to store fat, just as it's the best place to gestate a fetus.

Finally, I weigh in on the weigh-yourself-every-morning side. My weight fluctuates between 3-5 pounds first thing in the morning (well, second thing, after you know what), so I just record, on my running log, the new lowest weight when it appears. I just recently broke the 210 barrier, at 209, but today it was 210.2, and yesterday it was 213. Just normal daily fluctuations based on your daily food and water intake. I won't write anything down again until I see something south of 209, hopefully within a week or two.
All the best!

Thanks Lee. So I broke down and weighed myself again today and am up a half pound from yesterday. I would not be surprised if tomorrow I am back down the half a pound. I broke down and allowed myself 2 crappy Coors last night too. I did find yesterday that I really dig turkey burgers with a pinch of garlic wrapped in lettuce as a bun. Kind of surprised me that I liked this but it was fan-freaking-tastic! I have also added back in the gym into my normal running workouts as well as some exercises that I do at the local park. Let's just say I am pretty sore this week. It's amazing how fast muscles get weak when you stop going to the gym. Today is my off day so it will just be a mile barefoot walk down to the park to let my boy play.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I personally think, even more disappointing would be putting in all that work and getting discouraged because I had too much salt or carbs the night before a weigh in. Or more damaging would be overconfidence from thinking that I made significance progress, which actually resulted from fluctuations in water weight.

That's why I don't like scales. Measuring body fat is a good idea, but you are not going to see much change daily or even weekly. I'd go with 2 week or monthly measurement. Think slow, steady decline. If you plateau for more than a month, then make some changes. It took years for me to lose weight. It could have been done faster, but I don't even worry about a few pounds gained or lost now.

Good points from Sid and Lee.

Nick, I was curious about your beverage intake currently and what Bob recommends you drink.

Rick, I drink 2 cups of coffee a day with a tbsp of local raw honey and then 3-4 (last night I had 4 1/2) of my 28 oz cycling bottles of water and then maybe 1 beer, or sometimes like last night 2. Bob wants you to drink at least 16 ozs of water with each meal (so 5x a day) and you can have coffee. Not supposed to have beer though.

So weighed myself today again and so far in 3 days of dieting (combined with running and gym) I am down a total of 3lbs. It almost makes me feel guilty and I don't want to tell my wife for fear that she may not be having the same results (won't know till Sunday or Monday when she weighs again)... She's still having a hard time and seems to be way hungrier than I am (which is shocking because I am the one who normally eats the most by far and on this diet our meals are nearly the same (I'm shorting myself a little). I wish there was more I could do to support her, but unfortunately with her working plus going to school full time and me going to school full time I can't be there for her like I want to. I am surprised she has made it this far actually, although the hangries are in full force and I don't dare to even ask to change the channel on the tv....

So weighed myself today again and so far in 3 days of dieting (combined with running and gym) I am down a total of 3lbs. It almost makes me feel guilty and I don't want to tell my wife for fear that she may not be having the same results (won't know till Sunday or Monday when she weighs again)... She's still having a hard time and seems to be way hungrier than I am (which is shocking because I am the one who normally eats the most by far and on this diet our meals are nearly the same (I'm shorting myself a little). I wish there was more I could do to support her, but unfortunately with her working plus going to school full time and me going to school full time I can't be there for her like I want to. I am surprised she has made it this far actually, although the hangries are in full force and I don't dare to even ask to change the channel on the tv....
Nick, the one other time I dieted I lost 25 pounds in five weeks, almost a pound a day, so it can be done, but I wasn't working or studying at the time, just hanging out in Brazil during the run-up to the Carnival. I ate half-rations, avoided alcohol, and walked many hours a day to take my mind off how hungry I was. This time around it took almost a full year to lose the same amount of weight, because I did it very gradually, mainly through exercise, because I need to be able to concentrate when I'm working. I don't think it's a good idea for your wife to try anything too ambitious while she has such a full schedule. She'll get discouraged and quit altogether. Have her aim for a pound or two per month. Over time, that'll work just fine.

Lee, I know the realistic expectations for her, but I'm afraid she won't. I'm also exercising while she is not. She has a super hectic schedule right now as this is her final term and then she will have her double major completed and can graduate. I had told her I didn't care if she did the diet or not right now as I know how hard and busy her life is right now, but she is doing it more to be supportive to me I think... ;)

men always lose weight faster than women. we have more muscle and thank god they have more fat than us. no ladies, it's in good places and let's us easily tell the difference between us. i love you all for it.

if it's affecting her that much tell her to put it off until she's done with school. tell her i give her permission. ;)

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts