Mother-in-laws

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Don't get me wrong I have a great relationship with all my in-laws. But my MIL is staying with us for a while, and despite me specifying I like to do my own laundry and that I'd do it this weekend, she did a couple loads of my stuff yesterday. I like to wash all my synthetic and wool stuff seep rate and especially dry them on low or hang them up or out to dry. So what do I find when I open my dryer door? My super thin tights nd some of my running stuff, some of my wool socks, jeans, and my carheart bibs of all things. The carhearts were pretty dirty oil and gas stains and covered in sawdust and wood chips from the chainsaw. Most all my shirts are free from races, but my couple pairs of tights were kind of pricey... And to put them in with the toughest dirtiest thing I own!?!

Yes, how did they turn out?

May be just me, but this sounds a lot like a women complaining about a husband doing laundry wrong.

I think some grease stains and splinters in your running gear would make them more manly (as if tights can ever get manly...);)

On a side note... Mr. YUK!!! :yuck:

We live where we live precisely because it's seven kilometers from my M-I-L and she doesn't have a driver's license.

Was one of the smartest moves we ever made.

After living a Jane Goodall and the apes like existence with various roomies and then the step runts, I have developed a system. A pillowcase holds about one large load of clothes. Keep it like a hamper where the offending parties can not get it, like in your closet. When you wash your clothes throw the case in with them. It will be the clean bag to take them upstairs. Yes, I keep a separate bag for running clothes.

I've also heard you can fix shrunken wool by soaking it in hair conditioner and warm water and stretching it out.

Reactions: Sid
Sounds like her intentions were good, and it seems that perhaps she was just trying to help out. Maybe you can redivide the household chores to give her something to do? Or even say, "I really prefer to do my own laundry. We could use some help with...". "You're so good with this..." Sometimes asking someone for help works better than giving them assignments.

If that doesn't work, put a lock on the closet where you keep the hamper. They also sell digital locks, so you don't have to carry around a key in your own house.

Don't keep us in suspense, how did they look afterwards? :)
Oh sorry, the house is dimly lit I couldnt really tell right away. I went out for a run today and after putting them on they seem to be fine. Couple of my race shirts have little pock marks but not sure if they had those before or not I havent really looked at them closely. And didnt really look to close at the wool socks. I'm not really sure why they say no drier just line dry (and not just the wool ones the synthetic injinjis too), I dry them on the air fluff often (but line dry them whenever possible). They are pretty tight fitting anymore, maybe they have shrunk, or maybe they just wear out sooner?

May be just me, but this sounds a lot like a women complaining about a husband doing laundry wrong.

Well yeah sorry I don't usually complain about such things, thats the problem with the web, you think its no big deal to say things you'd probably never mention in person! The roles are somewhat reversed in our house, err well not really reversed, I just do most of them. :p
We live where we live precisely because it's seven kilometers from my M-I-L and she doesn't have a driver's license.

Well other than my grandma I think everyone in the family has a drivers liscence and is already 2hrs away or more...
But I actually like my MIL just dont need her messing with my stuff lol. I also dug one of my cast iron frying pans out of the trash. She thought a little bit of rust ruined them. Yeah I feel bad about the neglect and it will take a bit of work to clean it up and re-season, but you don't throw out my stuff without asking first!

Hannah - thats a nice trick with the pillow case. Also solves the problem of all the laundry baskets being full of my wifes clean clothes since she never puts anything away. I have to hide one for myself, but the bag idea sounds even better.

Sid - yeah her intentions are always good. She's a nice lady. Dont really have closet space for a hamper, thats one problem. Might just start hiding my stuff in the basement, I've pretty much moved into it anyhow.

Hobbit - well no fuses here, but I am sure flipping the breaker would yield the same. But then without asking she'd probably hire an electrician or buy another wash machine for us.

Sounds like you know the formula:

A mother-in-law shouldn't live so far that she needs a suitcase to visit, nor so close that she can visit in her slippers.

I always do a few loads of running clothes and work clothes before ths MIL visits. The woman is a saint , but damn if I can find anything in the house after the in-laws have spent the day unsupervised.

Last time I left them in the hamper, my running tights ended up in my wife's dresser. Didn't see them again for a year.

When my mom comes to visit, she has the URGE to fold our clothes! It would be great...if she knew how to fold! She flip-flops the clothes in any direction. I am always begging her to NOT fold our clothes. I tell her she might as well just roll everything into a ball and chuck it into the closet. I tell her I will have to refold everything after she's done, and it's just annoying. She FOLDS ANYWAY! Argh. Sigh. She says it won't matter a hundred years from now. I tell her no it won't, but it matters now. Ha!

Another thing. My hubby helps fold clothes, and sometimes when my mom is here, her clothes get mixed in with ours. He and I will be folding clothes together, and he will come across her undies. I tell him, that's so nice of you to fold my mom's undies, and he will let out a scream, YUCK! Ha! So funny. It's happened a few times, believe it or not.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts