Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

Found my feet limit, after 12km, they give up, still managed to finish my 13.3km, with an average pace of 5'25"/km !!! But my feet are killing me now...

Very happy with that, but I wouldn't be able to talk with Willie, though:D

Found my feet limit, after 12km, they give up, still managed to finish my 13.3km, with an average pace of 5'25"/km !!! But my feet are killing me now...

Very happy with that, but I wouldn't be able to talk with Willie, though:D

Great! soak your feet in a bucket of icy water and you'll be good to go. Congrats!
Why wouldn't you be able to talk to Willie? your feet hurt not your mouth...just sayin';)

Reactions: BFwillie_g
12 swim laps freestyle, plus 2 just kicking. felt easier today than yesterday. maybe it's because i didn't workout right before. maybe i just fixed my attitude. maybe I"m learning. currently waiting for private swim instructors to get back to me so i can learn it right. very much like running in that i see a lot of people swimming with the same flailing form week after week. i don't want to be that person (though i guess i don't have to worry about impact if i'm swimming)

I'm not expecting, although me and the missus have broached the possibility of a third reproduction of ourselves recently, after she finishes her nursing course, so perhaps it's a projected, sympathetic pregnancy. In the language I study the calf muscle is called the 'belly of the leg', so it kind of makes sense.

A nasty case of "pregnant calf"? I've just typed and deleted three lines about complaining muscles that would probably get me banned. :D Hope they improve quickly!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Great! soak your feet in a bucket of icy water and you'll be good to go. Congrats!
Why wouldn't you be able to talk to Willie? your feet hurt not your mouth...just sayin';)
Thanks !

Well, the only reason is that he would be too fast to even start a discussion while overtaking me :p

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Grrr...

So, finally got to the gym this evening, and had to hit the eject button after about 15 minutes. Did my normal warmup and whatnot. Went to do deadlifts and squats and....remember how I said I smacked my butt on hardpack snow? I reckon the glutes are still traumatized because I got all sorts of signals to the effect of "Oh, why don't you just put that down before you embarrass yourself." Then I realized that every other exercise I do somehow engages these muscles, it seems.

So, like I was griping about last Weds, might be needing to lay off until things get better...it's always something - why couldn't it have been Cool Whip spiked with LSD? At least I'd be having a weird time of it.

Today I have a new respect for all the little old ladies that get their exercise by grocery shopping. When a body is weak, it is exhausting! Two hours about did me in. I had to lay down for 2 hours after I got home. Seemed to set off the coughing, too, so I have put off swimming until tomorrow.

7 mile run home at a 9 minute pace - but I'm delighted because I ran it an AHR of 115.
I might, finally, be over the flu-like bug I picked up two and a half weeks ago!
Nice to hear some people are recovering. It gives me hope....

Reactions: Sid
I had a lite Top (shoulders-n-lats) ST workout at the end of yesterday afternoon, then jogged .4 miles at Maf pace to pick up my daughter at Discovery Club. My left shoulder strain seems pretty much gone so next Top ST workout I'll push it a bit again. These half-a$$ed st workouts aren't very satisfying, but it's good to be cautious.

My calf felt ok with the micro run. I ran in my Aqua Lites without the sole just in case the stack height of my Neo Trails had something to do with my calf cramp on Tuesday. Today my calf feels about 90%. I think the Magnesium pills that I took just before dinner helped a lot overnight. Thanks for the rec Willie and Dama! I'll continue self-massaging it throughout the day and hopefully it'll be in good enough shape for a proper meso run later today. That will bring my streak of consecutive running days up to a week. Woohoo! I'll give Guinness a warning to keep their eyes out. A record could be forthcoming in a half century or so.

@HappyBirdSong, you just gotta be patient. This year's virus just drags on and on, but clears up eventually. If you can, keep pampering yourself with naps. I know you're even more hyper than me, but I wish I would've tried to nap more. I think I could've cut a week off the recovery process. I still have a little bit of a cough, but the flu-y dragginess is pretty much gone and my energy levels have returned to normal. This year has been the mother of all flu seasons. My brother, a pilot, was grounded for a month because he couldn't get his ears to clear. They even drilled a hole in his ear drum to drain the congestion.

And good point about the heroics of older folks. My dad struggles just to go on his daily walk, but he does it.

@Running Pilot, you were wise to cease and desist. You don't want to mess with any kind of injury to the lower back or butt region. I would lay off the deadlifts for about a month after you feel 100%. I think the LSD cool whip therapy is a good idea, but after a few days you might want to switch to mushrooms in cream sauce as a more homeopathic alternative.

Deal with it :p
You see, you can do use the quotation properly if you really try.

Quick note afore bed: I didn't say 'warm bath', I meant a pretty hardcore method involving alternating *hot* and *cold* water flows over the calf muscles.

Hot till the skin is red, cold till it doesn't feel cold anymore.

At least three repetitions and up to about nine.

And in my case, the last round would be hot, followed by a thick smear of horse salve, covered with paper towels and wrapped up in an ace bandage.

Just remembered one 'extra': I mix a little habanero sauce into my horse balm lol.

Like I said, hardcore, hoo rah.

You are hardcore Willie. What are your dinner parties like?

A nasty case of "pregnant calf"? I've just typed and deleted three lines about complaining muscles that would probably get me banned. :D Hope they improve quickly!
Now I feel deprived.

20min swimming, lots of panting and resting, so I called it quits after 4 laps. I noticed that the 2 other swimmers' heads were coming out of the water more than I've seen in those videos, but not as much as the first guy earlier in the week. Of course, those videos were of pros. A few times, I was breathing into the trough on the right, so I know it's possible. On the left, just a mouthful of water. Obviously, I'm not doing something right. Probably worthwhile learning how to do it right, rather than popping out of the water to breathe. It feels almost like when I first started running, and I'd get out of breathe. Maybe I'm not exhaling correctly. Perhaps, I'll hang up the goggles until my next class on Sunday, when I can get some feedback.

I haven't gotten yelled at yet at the pool, so I think I'm learning the etiquette. 2 swimmers in the near 2 lanes. I took the far one, then when the exercising lady came in, I moved over so she could have the far lane.

No runs this week. It's nice not having sore legs! With all the kettlebells and "swimming" this week, I still don't have that "I've got too much energy, I need a run" feeling. We'll see, maybe after work today. Although, I might end up driving across town to the vet to pick up the next 3 months supply of our dog's prescription food, if it's come in.

20min swimming, lots of panting and resting, so I called it quits after 4 laps.
I think this speaks to the misconception of cross-training as something that will greatly help us in our primary activity. You're obviously in great running shape, but swimming shape is another kettle of fish. I think cross-training is best understood as something we do for overall fitness, to train different fitness capacities, although there is some carry-over to be sure. Once I realized that rowing wasn't really doing my running that much good, and that I'd be just as well off increasing my time strength-training, I dropped it like a hot iron (kettlebell), because I never really enjoyed the indoor machine version of it.

Thanks !

Well, the only reason is that he would be too fast to even start a discussion while overtaking me :p

Don't worry about Willie, he's just showing off, you know ;)

Reactions: BFwillie_g
I think this speaks to the misconception of cross-training as something that will greatly help us in our primary activity. You're obviously in great running shape, but swimming shape is another kettle of fish. I think cross-training is best understood as something we do for overall fitness, to train different fitness capacities, although there is some carry-over to be sure. Once I realized that rowing wasn't really doing my running that much good, and that I'd be just as well off increasing my time strength-training, I dropped it like a hot iron (kettlebell), because I never really enjoyed the indoor machine version of it.
Thanks! I'm trying to be more well-rounded as far as fitness goes. The swimming should be nice if/when I develop arthritis when I'm old. (My dad is in decent shape, but has bad knees. Then again he's seventy, but he still walks a ton even with arthritis.) Plus, I want to enjoy those local water parks!

Forgot to mention this morning - 6.6km in shoes followed by half an hour of bodysurfing - the waves were brilliant!

Better still, I just passed 100km for the year, and 15km barefoot. Everything going to plan at the moment.
For some reason, I dreamt about being on the beach in Australia last night (never been there, but my husband wants to visit) and there were pretty pink, but stinging little jelly fish all through the wet sand. What do you have to say about that?

Thanks! I'm trying to be more well-rounded as far as fitness goes. The swimming should be nice if/when I develop arthritis when I'm old. (My dad is in decent shape, but has bad knees. Then again he's seventy, but he still walks a ton even with arthritis.) Plus, I want to enjoy those local water parks!
Yah, someday I'd like to become a better swimmer too. It's such a great overall exercise and it's just cool that humans have figured out how to do something they're not at all adapted for. Maybe when I retire on a tropical beach . . .

I ran last night but don't know how far or how long it took me. I rd. until I thought I should turn around and then came home. I felt so good and my only pain was a slight soreness in my right able that went away when I just relaxed.