Mileage Reporting 43rd Week 2013

Amen. Doing exercises I don't like reminds me of how we can live in a world of people who hate to exercise and don't do it.
They don't find anything they like, but they force it once in a while, causing mental anguish, and so the association with negative feelings is set. No immediate rewards, only the vague future fitness ones if they stick with it when we all know it won't happen.

That's just how I do.

Well, I am definitely over the elliptical. It is something to do for my legs when I don't/can't run. Being that bored couldn't possibly be worth it, though. The bike machines feel ridiculous (why am I not just riding a bike?), and the rowers intimidate me a bit because I have heard that bad form is, well, bad, on a rower. On the other hand, oddly enough, I like imagining I'm an indentured servant on a ship. I know, not on the Olympic rowing team, not rowing across a huge glossy lake at sunrise, but on a big ship getting yelled at by the master, surrounded by hundreds of unhappy fellow rowers. Somehow that gets me going, and I usually hate being told what to do. Go figure.

On the whole "only do an exercise if it's a natural motion" idea, it's appealing, but that would eliminate bicycling, skiing, skating, swimming, diving, some ball sports, skate boarding, and a slew of other activities that burn calories but that humans invented for recreation and movement. People seem to get great workouts from all kinds of unnatural activity, not the least of which is a rowing machine in a heated gym in a developed nation after a shower and before the next when the rest of the day is planned for desk work, or, say, doing careful, repeated lifting using specific muscle groups at a time, with weights at high density and specific shape. Hard labor that would be more "natural" would not have a set number of reps, and not isolate muscle groups regularly.

So I go with the philosophy that if it bores me to tears and stabbiness, then I will avoid it.
I imagine myself getting back to my Viking roots, stroking across the North Sea, merrily rowing ready to maraude. Lately I've been thinking about buying back my rower from my dad. He never uses it, even though his body has turned to mushy stiffness. The rower can also provoke mental anguish if used for any length of time, but it's really good for a 5/10-minute pre-ST warm-up, or post-ST HIIT burn.

I agree about the silliness of the MovNat concept. The whole idea behind free weights is to break things down into their component parts, isolate, and then reintegrate, like practicing scales or inversions in music. I don't normally lift much of anything in the course of a day, besides my kids and grocery bags, but I'm pretty sure my deadlifts promote good posture and prevent backaches.

I think a naturalistic conception of exercise only has validity to the extent that we use it as a guideline for keeping our movements within the planes and ranges the body was designed for.

So there's two kinds of nature/natural in health/fitness: the "what would a caveman do?" kind (to paraphrase the Jesus bumper sticker), and the proper form/technique/physiology kind, right?

(And yes, I realize most hunter gatherers didn't/don't live in caves.)

Even then, a movement like back pull-downs, which is unnatural on both counts, can still yield benefits if done with caution. I've never hurt myself doing them, but I'm stopping them as a preventive measure, plus the aforementioned displeasure they provoke. I already got a somewhat gimpy left shoulder, don't need to risk adding anything more to the list of age-related lame.

Reactions: scedastic
I think a naturalistic conception of exercise only has validity to the extent that we use it as a guideline for keeping our movements within the planes and ranges the body was designed for.

So there's two kinds of nature/natural in health/fitness: the "what would a caveman do" kind (to paraphrase the Jesus bumper sticker), and the proper form/technique/physiology kind, right?

What you said.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Pullups, Dips, and pushups, it's all you need. I even dropped the Kettlebell workouts, and I was full blast into them for awhile.
You forgot squats!

There is something to be said for keeping things simple. I used to do those four or five (+sit-ups) body weight exercises, with variations, while traveling. There's a limit on how strong you can get doing them, but for good, overall conditioning, I agree, it's all you really need. Weights are just an extension of the basic push-pull theme.

Same with all the running protocols. All you really need to do is just run: if you're feeling good, speed up; if you're feeling sluggish, slow down.

Push, pull.
Fast, slow.
That's all you really
need to know.
Run and lift,
lift and run.
Mind the manner
that makes it fun.

[I hope I get over these cooties soon.]

yesterday was sleep and rest.

Laura, i don't have to accept you as you are. as a big brother i must beat you into submission and bend you to my will.
methinks you grew up in a different sort of household than I did. I will appeal to other "big brothers."

Reactions: Bare Lee
1.95 miles yesterday. I had been feeling great and niggle free and got myself too far out when the niggle in my left shin showed up in dramatic fashion. I stopped immediately and worked on the trigger point and got it worked out enough to walk the 2 miles home. I seem to have the right leg all good now, just got to get the left one in sync now. If it isn't one thing it's another it seems. Oh well, I guess that's the way things go for me. Oh, and I got a juicer for my birthday last week and have been making some green juices lately. Really seems to help my focus and make me feel clearer headed. Trying to use it to help supplement my diet as I really have a hard time eating a lot of veggies that I should be eating.

Went out for my first run since Sunday last night, I know only 3 days off does not sound like a lot but it is for me. Ran 4 miles at a slower pace barefoot in 1 degree C. temps. Felt good, really good, might just have to do a little bit more of that. ;)

11 miles that included a fair amount of rough pavement. I'm pretty happy with doing it without being out of breath in 2 hours and 1 minute. A dear friend of mine just happened down the bike path when I was only a mile in to the run. She toodled along side for almost 3 miles visiting with me. So nice.

Cool 8 mile run at 4:45 am., 61 deg., 59%rh. Nice clear skies. Love runnin barefoot!!

7.1km in my lunch break. Went out with the intention of 'just running' and surveying half of the course of my upcoming 12km fun run. Somehow this turned into a fast run by my standards, don't really know when that happened. Even with some rough sections along the way, I still clocked a time that I would be very happy with on a good surface. I did have to speed up to catch a few traffic lights on the way through town, so maybe that got me moving a little faster? I dunno.

The course has some smooth road bits that I'll enjoy, and some nasty chip seal towards the end that frankly sucks. I found a bit of relief on the edge of the road in some places, grass or pine needles, but there are a few sections where I'm just going to have to suck it up and slow down a little.

Still no running. I mostly have a very mild sore throat, but my daughter's been coughing, so I'm trying to be extra cautious and keep the little invaders out of my lungs. I haven't run-commuted since Monday, and haven't gone for a regular run since Sunday. Stinks. Feels like months. But perhaps the time off is good thing, after 5-6 weeks of pushing the mileage and distances. I'm a little afraid of contracting an underuse injury next time I run though.

So anyways,

Thursday afternoon
Top ST.

I worked around my gimpy left shoulder again, cutting out the lateral and front shoulder raises and a few other things, like upright rows, that might've put too much pressure on the joint. I did everything else though, on the theory that increasing the blood flow to the area will speed up the healing. 'Active recovery' I think they call it. And it seems to have worked. Today the shoulder feels close to normal, gimpless.

So I'm already through my weekly st routine, but want to hold off another day or two before running again. What to do today? More deadlifts and squats! Maybe even get around to doing some plyometric stuff.

5 miles, cold, 4 bf. 1 shod, the last half hard. I haven't ran hard in 17 years. I like it.

BareLee, ah! I understand pump now thanks to your definition. However, by it, I don't do "good pump". I run because I like to. I lift because I ought to.
Nothing like going all out. Ideally, I do some sprints once a week at the end of a run, and work in tempo pace in the middle of one of my runs, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Let's face it, weights can be pretty boring. Running is always fun. But if you give strength training some time, after a while you'll start to get 'the pump' consistently, and that's a great feeling. Plus there are so many benefits: good posture, good bone density, fewer minor injuries, boosting your immune system and blood production, higher metabolism, improved cognition, greater confidence and mood, and so on. The problem is that strength-training still tends to be associated with bodybuilding and zerobodyfat maniacs, but it's really for everyone, and the only way to age somewhat gracefully. My own approach is pretty leisurely.

Yes squats! Forgot to list them. I have finally got down the pistol squat which I like to do, those are great.
Handstand push-ups are another great body-weight exercise, equivalent to military presses with weights. There's some cool things you can do with suspension straps too. I still think weights are the way to go for building strength, but body weight stuff is pretty cool and I like the elegant simplicity, kind of like barefoot running--no real gear required.
1.95 miles yesterday. I had been feeling great and niggle free and got myself too far out when the niggle in my left shin showed up in dramatic fashion. I stopped immediately and worked on the trigger point and got it worked out enough to walk the 2 miles home. I seem to have the right leg all good now, just got to get the left one in sync now. If it isn't one thing it's another it seems. Oh well, I guess that's the way things go for me.
More and more, I think there's such a thing as underuse injuries. Since I've begun doing my little daily run commutes, I seem to recover faster from my long runs, and don't stiffen up as much. You might consider trying to run a mile on your off-days, as I think both you and Dutchie have suggested in the past. I don't know if the micro runs really contribute to running fitness, but they do seem to help maintain skeletal-muscular conditioning in the limbs and joints.
methinks you grew up in a different sort of household than I did. I will appeal to other "big brothers."
I think Mike was raised in a different sort of household than most of us!

Rest today. Running 18 miles tomorrow morning starting at 5am. My last long run then 3 week taper. You don't understand how thrilled I am that I will be running my last long run tomorrow, until marathon.

Feel better everyone for those that have been sick, I was there a few weeks ago.
Running under obligation. Sounds like a drag. I'm feeling pretty good about not having signed up for the Winter Challenge. I still plan on running in sub-freezing temps, but last year at least a few times I did it under a sense of obligation, rather than for pleasure. We've talked about a zen-like approach to running/fitness, and having to think about numbers--miles, temps, max weights--tends to mess with my zenality, my dharma-buzz. Nonetheless, I want to do a mid-winter HM if temps are favorable on race day:
http://www.polardash.org/
http://www.securian.com/Securian/Securian Winter Run/
In a few months halfmarathonish distances should be fairly routine for me. It would be a fun stunt to run barefoot in January amongst all the shoddies. I'm pretty sure I could convince my wife that terrorists wouldn't be up for terrorizing when it's really cold out.

Running under obligation. Sounds like a drag.

Yeah it's a bit of a drag, but worth the marathon experience. It's the only time I get strict with a training plan is when I run a marathon, I need some kind of planning structure. I want to do well and be prepared, nothing worse than being under-trained for a marathon. This most likely is my last marathon for a long time, or forever. Between family, kids, work the training takes a toll, at least for me it does.

I love half marathons, just a perfect distance! I TRY to stay in half marathon shape all year around, much easier to do than a marathon. But tend to hibernate in the winter and just maintain comfortable fitness. As far as the winter challenge it's there for the fun of it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7