Mileage Reporting 43rd Week 2013

Just want to be smart about it like I think I've managed to with the barefoot running so far.

But these feet are still a lot like a newborn's. I just want to build them into awesomeness with careful and rational steps forward and avoid things that could throw me violently backward.
That's the way to do it. Unfortunately, my rational capacity is often overridden by exuberance and rash foolishness. Story of my life.

Today's run-commute: 28F/-2.2C. Definitely felt toooo frickin' cold to be barefootn' but I'm glad I started off the day with this little challenge. Still not sure how hardcore I'll be this winter on my longer runs. Is it worth the bother? Probably, but I'll definitely be carrying back-up footwear more often and preempting numbness earlier in the runs than I did last winter. Like Sced says, unless there's a lot of wind or moisture, it's mostly just the soles that get cold, so a few millimeters of rubber goes a long ways, and you still get pretty good groundfeel. The Moc3s are great for back-ups because they're so easy to slip on, but I like the greater snugness of the Vapor Gloves. Bought some Altra Adams for $29 on Ebay, but I'm returning them. They were too small and too much shoe for my tastes.

Yesterday, also run-commute home, and then half-hearted deadlifts. Didn't go up to my max cuz I know when you're not into it that can be dangerous. Stayed at 225. Now I feel as guilty as a catholic school boy.

Back from a saw paw, managed to mash it up pretty bad when it tried to follow the white rabbit down its hole, unfortunately the rest of me didn't fit and I tore stuff pretty bad. So I thought I'd just stay away until I healed up and do something else awesome instead.
Managed to put on a stone in weight (I tend to turn to chocolate in times of crisis) But I'm back now, unfit and starting over again, managed five miles today, hard work but I feel better for it.
Great to see you back Skedaddle! Sorry to hear of your happenstantial mishap/mishappening/mishappiness. Hope the haplessness snaps back to hap fast.

Zippo, Zilch miles, running or walking. It seems that I have caught that flu bug that is starting to hang around this forum. :nurse:
I got a bit of that too. Damn internet viruses.

Interesting.
I learning of the differences in my gait only when I began running barefoot. As a teen, I broke all the mets on my left foot, rather badly, and limped for over a year after than, but as an adult I had forgotten all about it.
After first beginning barefoot walking and running, the landing was distinctly different, and I could even feel a lack of sensation in certain areas that I could easily feel on my right side.
Now, though it has gotten much much better over the last couple of years, I know I still have the imbalance, and it must lead to issues, but like you, I worry over forcing an issue and giving myself more grief in other areas. I try to think about it without thinking too much, you know? Like I focus more on my posture up top and hope the legs follow, or go for an overall "feel" of smoothness without specifically thinking about how my feet are landing.
In any case, I too wonder whether to be more aggressive in trying to be more symmetric about the form.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the left foot should be more like the right. Then again, if it ain't broke why fix it, right? We'll see how it goes. Funny thing is I feel less smooth when I'm trying to make the left foot land more on the forefoot. Maybe it will just take time for everything to adjust. The left foot also makes a little more sound when landing, so that's another sign indicating that I might profit from a touchdown touch-up.

I screwed up one of my ankles in a motorcycle accident right before college, which mercifully kept me from playing college football and potentially screwing up my knees for life. I can't remember which ankle it was though. . . . OK, I just looked; the scar's on the right ankle. It's probably just the usual dominant/submissive lateral imbalances most of us have. The only other time I notice the imbalance is when doing dumbbells. The right side can always do more and with better form. Oh also kicks. My left kick is higher, but my right kick has more power. Oh also punches too. My right hook is a monster. My left jab weak. Maybe later I'll eat a carrot and see which side chews better.

I screwed up one of my ankles in a motorcycle accident right before college, which mercifully kept me from playing college football and potentially screwing up my knees for life. I can't remember which ankle it was though. . . . OK, I just looked; the scar's on the right ankle. It's probably just the usual dominant/submissive lateral imbalances most of us have. The only other time I notice the imbalance is when doing dumbbells. The right side can always do more and with better form. Oh also kicks. My left kick is higher, but my right kick has more power. Oh also punches too. My right hook is a monster. My left jab weak. Maybe later I'll eat a carrot and see which side chews better.

My left arm is LAZY as all get out and is forever trying to fake like it's actually swimming while the right arm is working hard on the other side, too distracted to notice.

Yeah, I just realized I'm chewing on my right side too. Stupid left side. Livin off the dole.

Back from a saw paw, managed to mash it up pretty bad when it tried to follow the white rabbit down its hole, unfortunately the rest of me didn't fit and I tore stuff pretty bad. So I thought I'd just stay away until I healed up and do something else awesome instead.
Managed to put on a stone in weight (I tend to turn to chocolate in times of crisis) But I'm back now, unfit and starting over again, managed five miles today, hard work but I feel better for it.
This sounds horrible, even if I have no idea what you are talking about! Glad you are doing better now.

I don't think I mentioned running 2.5 miles Saturday.
Then, 20 minute swim on Sunday.
Lots of garden strength training both days that my back and arm muscles are still confirming today.

Monday, a comfortable 10.3 miles, a bit slow mostly due to lots of rough pavement.
Did I mention you all have managed to get me interested in working toward a marathon? That's just crazy.

Sorry to read about your problem Skedaddle, and the extra 14 lbs, but glad you are on the mend.

Switching to fresh fruit from chocolate helped me drop 30 lbs a few years ago.

[quote="Bare Lee, post: 143040, member: 2949"Bought some Altra Adams for $29 on Ebay, but I'm returning them. They were too small and too much shoe for my tastes.[/quote]

Did you try the Adams without either of their insoles? I love them as my winter shoes in that form - I did have to step up a half size from my usual though.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Did I mention you all have managed to get me interested in working toward a marathon? That's just crazy.
Haha, you're in trouble now. You're like me, once something pops into your head, you have to do it.
Did you try the Adams without either of their insoles? I love them as my winter shoes in that form - I did have to step up a half size from my usual though.
I didn't mess with the insoles because they were a half or full size too small. So you've confirmed that they run small. I would exchange them, but it seemed like there was a lot of rubber around the sides of the toe box.

altra adams rubber.jpg

That's what i meant by "too much shoe." Does that bother you at all? I became interested in them when someone on another thread said they have decent traction in icy conditions. My Moc3s and Vapor Gloves aren't very good for that, and the lugs on my Neo Trails don't seem to help much either. I wonder how much better the Adams could be. What's been your experience? I think I could be talked into trying the next size up and dealing with the rubber sidewalls if the traction was significantly better, especially over hard-to-see black ice. But perhaps that's expecting too much from any minimalist shoe? I dunno. Seems like a good shoe otherwise, and I like the fact that the velcro straps would make them easy to slip on if I needed back-up all of a sudden.

Yesterday ran 11.4km/7mi, the haze from the bushfires was gone, which is great, however today could bring them back, as they announced a scorching 37C/99F in the mountains (where all the fires currently cause havoc)

Yup, give her a little bit longer to grab that bait, then WHAMOO, we set the hook, and another is hooked on trying on a marathon. Once the curiosity sets in you will never rest until you try one. :D
I feel like I have been adopted by bunch of big brothers...:eek:

This sounds horrible, even if I have no idea what you are talking about! Glad you are doing better now.
My foot went down a rabbit hole as I was running down an embankment, my foot stayed in the hole but I carried on and felt this horrible ripping sensation as sinew parted from bone. Sorry for the confusion, just my lame attempt to embellish my predicament with the classics, just call me Alice.

Sorry to read about your problem Skedaddle, and the extra 14 lbs, but glad you are on the mend.

Switching to fresh fruit from chocolate helped me drop 30 lbs a few years ago.

No need to switch to fruit Chris, I pretty much eat a monkey diet, just added chocolate to it for a few months to stop me becoming an unbearable sulk while I was repairing. I'll shift those pounds in a month or so now I've got the go ahead to run again.

Reactions: happysongbird
3.65 miles, spent around 18 or 19 minutes of it running up at comfortably hard tempo pace. Good solid run, a little confidence booster for the 5K on Sunday that I've got my eye on. I needed to spend a more extended period of time at a pace up above easy and my legs felt good the whole time while doing it, now there should be plenty of time for my legs to freshen up for Sunday and maybe enough time that I'll have gained a little more boost in fitness by Sunday.

Also been glad to see that my resting heart rate has been dropping. It's now down to around 55 bpm, so hopefully I'll get back in good enough shape again for it to drop below 50 like it was a few years ago.

8km, or 5 miles out and back on the beach this morning. Struggled a bit into the wind and rain on the way out, but flew home on the breeze. Or at least it felt that way. It was probably worth around 10s per km in reality, according to my watch.

My feet are OK, but I'm feeling a little bit achey in what I think is the muscle that looks after the little toes. The pain is on the outside, bottom of my foot, about half way along or more, and I can make it hurt a little by trying hard to splay my toes or by trying to wiggle the little one. It's not stopping me from running, but it's there. Has anybody else had this? I'm assuming a bit of rolling on the bottom of the foot would be the best bet?

I didn't mess with the insoles because they were a half or full size too small. So you've confirmed that they run small. I would exchange them, but it seemed like there was a lot of rubber around the sides of the toe box.

That's what i meant by "too much shoe." Does that bother you at all? I became interested in them when someone on another thread said they have decent traction in icy conditions. My Moc3s and Vapor Gloves aren't very good for that, and the lugs on my Neo Trails don't seem to help much either. I wonder how much better the Adams could be. What's been your experience? I think I could be talked into trying the next size up and dealing with the rubber sidewalls if the traction was significantly better, especially over hard-to-see black ice. But perhaps that's expecting too much from any minimalist shoe? I dunno. Seems like a good shoe otherwise, and I like the fact that the velcro straps would make them easy to slip on if I needed back-up all of a sudden.

Those side lugs have not been a problem for me. I think I might have had my tongue in my cheek when I said they were good on ice :muted:
I found that my technique had to be impeccable when ascending, or descending, inclined slush last winter. I didn't have the chance to try them in dry snow - it wasn't cold enough!
I do find them good on wet pavement but with no grip at all on wet steel. They are challenging on wet, polished granite - perhaps using them on some of that might get your cadence up :p

Reactions: Bare Lee and Larry
Great 5 mile run at 4:45 am., 50 deg., 76%rh.. excellent sky this morning! this is the start of week 10 of training for me. 7 week left till the metro PCS full Marathon.
December 8th.

:egg on face:All those Shoe Salesmen :cigar: , RW A-Type Athletes :cool:, couch potatoes:couchpotato: and podiatrists :pompus: were right!!!!

I feel like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story".....
Lemme 'splain:

This morning I head out in the drizzle for a 4 or 5 miler. 37 degrees F...... (I'm thinking about switching to Metric... 6.5 to 8 km in 2.8 degrees sounds so much cooler....)

This morning I head out for a 6 1/2 to 8 km run. less than 3 degrees C. :))) Took the normal route out... by the crossing guard at the elementary school (who is very concerned about the well-being of my footsies). I'm pleased to say the merely said "Good Morning." guess he's getting used to me. Make the turn and hear from an 8-9 year old (years are the same in metric, right?) "Eww! An old man in tights!!" :playful:

So the punchline: somewhere near km marker 5, I'm smiling and really enjoying myself... lost concentration.... jumped off a curb and smashed my big toe into the pavement.....bloody toe.jpg

Threw on a bandaid and a sock and shot the last mile or so home.... Total 4 1/3 miles.... CRAP! I mean 7 km.

So I have a buggered up to on one foot that makes barefoot pretty difficult, and freezer-burn frostnip from an icepack on the other foot that makes shod running pretty difficult..... what to do tomorrow?

Oh yeah... so I feel like Ralphie because after everyone told me I'd shoot my eye out, I finally stubbed a toe.....:meh:

So the punchline: somewhere near km marker 5, I'm smiling and really enjoying myself... lost concentration.... jumped off a curb and smashed my big toe into the pavement.....
So I have a buggered up to on one foot that makes barefoot pretty difficult, and freezer-burn frostnip from an icepack on the other foot that makes shod running pretty difficult..... what to do tomorrow?

Oh yeah... so I feel like Ralphie because after everyone told me I'd shoot my eye out, I finally stubbed a toe.....:meh:

Gruesome. I think I did hurt myself more frequently when I was first really running and being barefoot. Seems less frequent now, finally, after about 3 years. But I did knock into one of my pinky toes pretty hard with a shopping cart this evening. Since I was moving slowly, the 100 lbs cart (loaded with bags of chicken grain) didn't get all the way across my toe. It hurt pretty bad for a couple of minutes though, and I looked for blood. Feels fine now though.

I did ride the spin bike for 75 minutes before that.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7