Kicking myself

Also, if it is a stress fracture, you wouldn't want to break up scar tissue, right?
Anyway, thanks for your concern and feedback.

You don't want to break up scar tissue while the owie is healing cause it's there to hold it in place while it heals. Afterward, if the scar tissue is causing pain, then I would. Usually scar tissue would not cause that much pain though, unless it was pressing on a nerve.

I always associate achiness with muscle weakness. I experience random achiness in my ankles and feet, as well.

I think it's kind of a misnomer in exercises, such as running -where you are using many different muscles- that all of the muscles that need to be strong to do the exercise well, are strong.

I have taken to using this fine exercise tool to help increase the strength in my ankles and feet. After I initially started using it (a couple weeks ago), I was surprised at how many muscles in my feet and ankles were sore the next day. I mean, I run trails for pete's sake. You'd think with all that variable terrain that there would not be a foot or ankle muscle untouched. Anyway, now that I've started using it, I think that all runners should use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Altus-Athleti...8&qid=1339616557&sr=8-1&keywords=balance+disc

Jen: totally on the wobble board. I bought a pricier one, but this is also a lot of fun, and a surprising challenge.

http://www.amazon.com/Fitter-First-...8&qid=1339617795&sr=1-3&keywords=wobble+board

On the 10% thing: that's a one size fits all the seems to fit no one, and certainly doesn't seem to work when adjusting the body to bare foot running.
For me, in shoes, I never did a 10%, and could go from zero to 15 miles per week, then be at 30-35 miles per week in a bit over a month (last year, in fluffy shoes).
With barefoot running, I can get started with ease, but then it's almost as though I plateau for a while, and a logic like "I went on a 4 mile run last week, I'll go on a 5 mile run this week" doesn't always work. Getting to longer runs seems like a lot more work.
Also, the 10% is for people who are running in the same way they walk, with similar shoes (generally), so their entire body doesn't need to adjust. I would imagine if you were already bf a lot, or wore minimal shoes, maybe things would go quicker?

OH, and it's definitely frustrating. When I would bump up mileage in shoes, I would just go with what my body felt it could do that day, so if my longest run had only been 4 miles but my body felt good, I'd try 7. With bf running, my body feels great, like I could go on and on, but I know I can't listen to it or I'll pay for it later. Not sure why the delay. You're not the only one though.

You don't want to break up scar tissue while the owie is healing cause it's there to hold it in place while it heals. Afterward, if the scar tissue is causing pain, then I would. Usually scar tissue would not cause that much pain though, unless it was pressing on a nerve.
I dunno, scar tissue on a bone is presumably bone, so unless it's some kind of spur, you wouldn't want to break that up, and even if it is, you'd need a hammer. I think you're thinking of soft tissue, no?
And anyway, as I said, the fracture was so tiny that I couldn't see it in the x-ray, only a trained professional, and I halfway think he was just making it up to impress the resident who was accompanying him, although the stress reaction stuff was plain to see on the bone, to the extent I understand it.

I always associate achiness with muscle weakness. I experience random achiness in my ankles and feet, as well.

I think it's kind of a misnomer in exercises, such as running -where you are using many different muscles- that all of the muscles that need to be strong to do the exercise well, are strong.

I have taken to using this fine exercise tool to help increase the strength in my ankles and feet. After I initially started using it (a couple weeks ago), I was surprised at how many muscles in my feet and ankles were sore the next day. I mean, I run trails for pete's sake. You'd think with all that variable terrain that there would not be a foot or ankle muscle untouched. Anyway, now that I've started using it, I think that all runners should use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Altus-Athletic-Core-Balance-Disc/dp/B001FB5ZEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339616557&sr=8-1&keywords=balance disc

I'm not sure how you separate out muscles from ligaments, connective tissue, and bone in an ache when it's in someplace as complicated as the foot or hand, unless the ache is highly localized. Mine are more regional, and they shift around, as I believe I said.

As far as muscle weakness, I tend to subscribe to the school that says the muscles used in a given exercise get strongest fastest by doing that particular exercise, and I've been a barefooter/predominantly sandal wearer for most of my adult life, so the feet are probably generally OK, although running is obviously more stressful on them.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but I wonder if our two cases are similar. In any case, I find the success you've had on the wobble wheel intriguing. About how often do you use it?

Also, the 10% is for people who are running in the same way they walk, with similar shoes (generally), so their entire body doesn't need to adjust. I would imagine if you were already bf a lot, or wore minimal shoes, maybe things would go quicker?
I ran barefoot 20 years ago for several years, ran shod for several years 10 years ago, and have been barefoot or minimally shod most of my adult life. When I began to consistently run barefoot again a little more than a year ago, I tried going slow, but the biggest challenge was get my air back after several years of little exercise. I already had decent callouses built up so that wasn't a consideration. Within a month I got up to three miles, no problem, but then got TOFP for the first time in my life. It went away, everything was going fine, then last fall I jumped from five to ten miles and got a tiny stress fracture. So, although my background is fairly idiosyncratic, I think it adds to the anecdotal evidence that there really is no way of knowing who's going to transition smoothly and who's going to struggle. Although you're probably right that in general people like me should transition faster.

I use that thing daily, for only about 5 minutes. It has made a surprising difference with such little use.

I'll look into it presently. Might still be time to request it for a Dad's Day gift . . .

One question: I'm almost 6'2", should I get a bigger diameter, say 20"?

OK, there has been a bit of confusion. The thing in that video is a Wobble Board, the thing I use is a balance "disc" and it is soft and pliable, and has air inside it, but it is shaped in such a way that it causes you to have to actively keep your balance while you are on it. I did have a wobble board once. I have hip problems and they did not appreciate the wobble board as it required an immense amount of strength that I did not yet have. I would start with the discus and move up to the wobble board. :) And yes, the bigger and thicker and higher quality of wobble board the better. In fact the one I had was platic, lol, that could have been the problem right there.