I feel like I'm regressing in my running progress

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
I don't know what's up with me lately but I feel like my running progress is regressing. Not sure if it's the fact that I didn't run/walk much over the holidays or what. I'm doing E25K, but have been on Week 1 for awhile.

On the week of Dec. 4, I went out Tuesday and Thursday near my office. I completed the Week 1 workouts both times, plus went a little farther on the 1-mile loop to complete 2 laps, or 2 miles. I completed all of each running segment, although I felt quite winded after the 60-second running portions. Both times were in my VFF's.

The week of the 11th, I didn't run at all due to this localized pain I'm still experiencing in my left calf muscles. After visiting the doc and a PT, I decided to give it a try again on Wednesday the 21st. That day I didn't follow the E25K program. Instead I just walked 2 miles near the office, with 3 running segments thrown whenever I felt like it. I did that one barefoot.

Then on Friday the 23rd I decided to continue on Week 1 of E25K, but didn't feel very good at all and shut it off after only 10 minutes. I did go 2 miles, but only ran for a total of 2m 15s of that. Temperature was below 40, and I tried it barefoot. My feet were in some amount of pain for the first 3/4 mile, but felt okay after that.

After that I didn't go out again until Friday the 30th and again yesterday, the 2nd. Friday was warm, and I went BF in shorts. Yesterday was nasty cold with blistering wind, so I did long pants and VFF's. Both times I completed the workout, but I just could not finish all the running portions. Several times I felt like I needed to slow to walking or even stop for a second, about 10-15 seconds before the app said to go back to walking.

I don't know what the deal is, it's like the amount of time I can manage to run has decreased in the past month. I'm still on week 1 which consists of 3 sets 30, 45, and 60s running intervals. Week 2 is 45, 60, and 90s intervals, and I'm not sure if or when I'll be able to do that. Should I just go ahead and push myself to try it, or should I keep doing Week 1 until the 60s interval is easier for me?

I tried that a couple of

I tried that a couple of months back. I would go out for 3 miles during lunch break, but barely run for maybe a single short distance on each of the 1-mile laps. I would usually only run when it felt comfortable for me. So I've been trying to get back on this program to sort of get me out of my "comfort zone" and actually run more so than I would otherwise.

I personally feel like I need the structure of a program like C25K or E25K in my case. Without that I tend to just do what's easiest, i.e. just walking the whole time, though I WANT to be able to run for 3 miles, or even just 1 mile at this point.

I tend to agree with

I tend to agree with Gentile. Too much going on, although you shouldn't push yourself to hurting yourself either. Listen to your body, especially as a beginner. Too many people don't do this, this has been a learned thing for me and did not come natural at all. If you feel like you could run a little longer than what the app is telling you, do it. The app is a guideline and not a physical real live coach. A lot of people get too caught up with what the elite runners are doing and forget that sometimes new runners need to actually just create some kind of cardio, even if their heartrate gets too high for a little bit. Once you have a cardio base developed then worry about some of the more techy aspects of running.

*** THIS IS ALL MY OPINION BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND FROM HELPING OTHERS SO TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT***

PatrickGSR94 wrote: I

PatrickGSR94 said:
I personally feel like I need the structure of a program like C25K or E25K in my case. Without that I tend to just do what's easiest, i.e. just walking the whole time, though I WANT to be able to run for 3 miles, or even just 1 mile at this point.

If a structured schedule makes you feel more comfortable than stick with it. How about forgetting about counting miles and try running by time for a bit? Sometimes the pressure of hitting a certain mileage can be overwhelming. Currently I am running by time right now, and actually like it and find it more enjoyable. I will just say I am going out to run for 40 minutes, an hour, 30 minutes, etc. The only thing showing on my garmin is time, I hid the mileage, pace etc. After my run I will check out my mileage. Just an idea.

Mask,Could you elaborate on

Mask,

Could you elaborate on your feelings as to why you say you want to run but you would end up walking? What is causing you physically to walk? Or is it truly all mental?

I have found that I sometimes

I have found that I sometimes need two days off in a row, for me usually after a long run. I agree that schedules are just a rough guideline and should be modified to your needs. You might also want to think about if there were other things going on over the holidays that were stressful, poor diet, relationships, unusual activities, bad sleep patterns. I found that all of those affect my cardio, sometimes significantly.

Keep it up as long as there is no pain and try to think long-term. Even if all you did was walking, if you add a few hills you can still improve your cardio and just throw in short segments of running when it feels ok.

Never give up!
regular_smile.gif

Barefoot Gentile wrote:If a

Barefoot Gentile said:
If a structured schedule makes you feel more comfortable than stick with it. How about forgetting about counting miles and try running by time for a bit? Sometimes the pressure of hitting a certain mileage can be overwhelming. Currently I am running by time right now, and actually like it and find it more enjoyable. I will just say I am going out to run for 40 minutes, an hour, 30 minutes, etc. The only thing showing on my garmin is time, I hid the mileage, pace etc. After my run I will check out my mileage. Just an idea.

Well I just threw those distances out there. The C25K and similar programs really are about running by time. At this point I can barely run for 60 seconds at a time, and lately (past 2 or 3 workouts) I haven't even been able to make it 60 seconds really.

I usually go on 1-mile loop routes, and go for 2 laps which is 2 miles. The Week 1 workout is about 28 minutes and I usually finish it after about 1 2/3 laps, and then just continue on to get back to the office. That makes for about a 35 to 40 minute workout.

Before I started back on the structured program, I was walking about 3 miles a day, usually 10-11 miles a week. But it was almost all walking and very little running. I dunno, I guess there's just something about going farther in a shorter amount of time that appeals to me, and so I want to be able to run instead of only walk.

Barefootandagel wrote:Mask,

Barefootandagel said:
Mask, Could you elaborate on your feelings as to why you say you want to run but you would end up walking? What is causing you physically to walk? Or is it truly all mental?

I switch from running to walking while doing the program, before the "walk" voice trigger, because I'm out of breath. And if I just go without the program, I may run for a short distance (30-45 seconds) of my 1-mile lap, but then I may or may not run again on the next lap. And if I do, it probably won't be for as long as the first. Without the voice triggers, it's very hard for me to actually run, even though I want to, due to my physical shortcomings (short of breath very quickly, I guess due to low lung capacity or something).

E25K Week 1 starts out with a 5 minute warmup, then 3 sets of:

30s run, 45s walk

45s run, 60s walk

60s run, 90s walk

Then 5 minute cooldown.

The first 30 second run is usually okay, I may breath slightly heavy after that. But then after the 45 second run, it's difficult for me to recover before the 60s run, and I REALLY have to strain quite hard to make it through the 60s run. And the past couple of workouts it seems I've had more trouble than before making it through the 60s workouts.

That was really my question, do I keep on doing this schedule until the 60s runs become easier, or do I press on with week 2 with some 90s runs and try to get through it? Is it better to stay at the same level to acheive progress and then move ahead, or do I really need to push ahead with the more strenuous workout to see any progress?

Mask,I don't see where you

Mask,

I don't see where you mention what pace you are running. Perhaps you are running to fast and thus getting out if breath. If you slow down you could possibly manage ok. What are your thoughts?

When you run, are you really

When you run, are you really pushing yourself hard or are you just doing a light jog? Just curious if you can lighten the intensity a little to see if you can keep running the full 60 seconds. Just a thought.

Recently I've been just

Recently I've been just trying to run with 180 spm cadence using a Podrunner podcast, but I'm starting to think I'm not really ready for that yet. Before, I was running about 15 min/mile pace, but at 180 spm it's been more like 13.5 min/mile. Maybe I'm wearing myself out more.

MASK is my avatar, not username btw

Maybe try slowing down to a

Maybe try slowing down to a 15min/mile pace and keep the 180 cadence. See if that allows you to run for the full time for your program. Don't worry about speed so much as just worry about running with proper form and for the full time limit in your program. It feels incredibly slow doing this but in your situation it sounds like you need to build your cardio and a base that you can build off. If you still can't run the full time maybe slow the cadence down to a 170 and see if that helps. The most important thing is for you to reach YOUR goals without hurting yourself and sometimes you have to play around with how you run till you find what works for you. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get better sooner than you think.

Patrick - I noticed something

Patrick - I noticed something when I was new(er) to barefoot running; It was difficult for me to do run/walk intervals. The transitions between the footfall patterns (fore/midfoot run and heel walk) felt odd and it increased my exertion level just by the amount of concentration it required. I too like a structured plan, as it keeps me on track. However, C25K was too much transitioning. I built my own schedule and started at zero, with a set plan. This may work for you.

In my transition I went out and ran .25 miles every other day (roughly3-5 minutes of running tops) while really focused on form. Then I walked for about 10 minutes. That was it for a couple weeks. Then I added 1/8th mile increments until I could run a mile. You may have a different situation as my limitation was building plantar skin and foot strngth moreso than cardio (though my cardio was weak - I could run a mile shod, but it hurt my knees) After that, mileage increases got easier and I ran my first 5k 4 months after starting bfr.

I might suggest you look at your currrent ability and build your own structured transition schedule. The various C25k-like plans are one size fits most, not all. The biggest thing I have learned in my bfr adventure is to listen to myself first and take all others with a grain of salt.

best of luck in your progress. One last thing that I use is a mantra or affirmation. When I start flagging, I use simple phrases like "you've got this" or a more stern "run, you effer (sub actual word there:)). It is surprising how effective this was for me. Remember it's 98% mental, the other half is physical.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I do use a fore/midfoot strike even when walking. It seemed somewhat unnatural at first, but it got to the point where I don't have to think about it anymore during my workout. But I only do it when walking during a workout, i.e. brisk walking. Normal walking around is still a heel strike for me.

My biggest limitation by far is my cardio ability. I can walk barefoot for 3 miles or more on relatively smooth asphalt without much of an issue (rough chip and seal still takes its toll on my feet, though). But the running part, 60 seconds is about all I can muster, and lately not even not that much it seems like.

Definitely slow down.  The

Definitely slow down. The run intervals in C25k are supposed to build up your running ability gradually. If you're struggling with them, you're going too fast. I wouldn't worry so much about your cadence at this point, just try to keep your form looking good, stay relaxed, and go slower.

I think you're right.  On the

I think you're right. On the workouts before I started listening to the 180 bpm podrunner, I was able to complete all sections of the workout fully, though still with a pretty high amount of effort on my part.

Also I've heard vitamin D mentioned here and in other threads. I've read that the recommended daily value of 400 IU of vit. D is probably not enough, so I've started taking a supplement, will see how that works out.

Mask, a questio:Have you had

Mask, a questio:

Have you had a check up lately? It just sounds like there might be a barrier somewhere to your progress. Just a question.

My body reacted much differently as I went from "couch" to running, so my experience doesn't help much.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon