I feel like I'm regressing in my running progress

had an annual exam 3 weeks

had an annual exam 3 weeks ago, bloodwork showed cholestorol to be a bit high. I need to lose 10-15 lbs (I knew that anyway and would like to lose 20), and have chosen walking and running as my preferred form of exercise. When the weather is warmer I may thrown in some cycling.

I've been running shod lately

I've been running shod lately and crosstraining barefoot (yoga/bodyweight/light intervals), so I'll let the other guys critique form, but one thing that helped me in my C25K program was to start walking barefoot/minshod for two weeks first to strengthen the muscles. Then when I was doing the 60 seconds/90 seconds intervals I used the 90 seconds as a pretty serious recovery where I practiced the simple "up" exercise to make sure I got the form into muscle memory. I'm really nervous about injury about joint injuries but so far so good.

I also decided until I hit the 5K mark that I wouldn't worry too much about cadence and I'd let my body does what it likes to do. Left to my own devices, I run an eleven minute mile with about 160 footfalls per minute. I'm in week seven and now running 25 minutes straight. Once I get to half an hour comfortably, I'm going to start working on the cadence, but one thing at a time seems to be the play so far.

So it might help you just to simplify everything except trying to run for the full interval. You have plenty of time later to sort out the rest.

Speeding up to 180 spm was a

Speeding up to 180 spm was a big change for me. I was able to comfortably run five miles, but when I turned the cadence up from my then-natural cadence of 165 or so, I could no longer run a half mile without being gassed. So I just went up and down for a while. It didn't talk more than a week or so though for 17-180 to become my natural cadence.

PatrickGSR94 said:
Recently I've been just trying to run with 180 spm cadence using a Podrunner podcast, but I'm starting to think I'm not really ready for that yet. Before, I was running about 15 min/mile pace, but at 180 spm it's been more like 13.5 min/mile. Maybe I'm wearing myself out more. MASK is my avatar, not username btw

Thanks.  Last time I ran was

Thanks. Last time I ran was Monday of last week. I'm taking some more time off to try to see if my left calf pain will get any better. May have to see a doc again about getting an X-ray or something. But I'm thinking of just going back to my own program where I run a bit at the end of each mile lap near my office, and increase it a bit each week or so.

Just want to point out that

Just want to point out that an increase in turnover rate should ALWAYS be accompanied be a reduced stride length. A lot of focus is spent on that turnover rate but they other half of the formula gets forgotten (because it isn't sexy). Anytime anyone suggests an increase in turnover they should always make it clear that it pertains to a constant pace. Increase your turnover rate without increasing your pace - that is sooooo important.

Btw, for BFR, 180 is the starting point. The numbers to shoot for are in the 200+ range - with no increase in pace, meaning *greatly* reduced stride length. That translates to decreased effort - it's easier.

My tip: use a digital metronome as a training aid, just to help zero in.