Huaraches Running Sandals

Alright.  I went to TSC and

Alright. I went to TSC and bought way too much baler belt (about three feet). After I finish my sandals I will sell it to anyone interested for a reduced rate. I bought the 10 inch strips (they are all the same thickness, the inches refer to the width of the strip) for $7.99/ft. We can work out terms later if you're interested.

I've made huaraches out of

I've made huaraches out of tire tread using an old dummy spare because it doesn't have metal in it. Long story short, they are REALLY heavy. Ended up giving the cut out soles to a teenager who thought they were cool and made lighter ones from a piece of sole material I bought from a Thai shoe repairman. I think I still have some chunks of tire tread left. If they are still in the shed I'll offer them up, but I suspect hubby tossed them when he cleaned it out last month.

we're so creative in here.

we're so creative in here. i found a nice tire and made my huraches tarahumara style today. man are they heavy! 1lb 1 oz per feels like a ton. i weighed a couple of old pairs of shoes and they came in at 9 and 10 oz so not too much more for the huraches so maybe i'll get used to it. i'm playing with the lacing at this point to make them comfy but if nothing else i like that i have something that is along the lines of authentic

LavaRunner wrote:I was

LavaRunner said:
I was cleaning out the Garage and saw an old pair of Mt Bike tired.

I'm surprised a bike tire would be wide enough for your foot! Weird...

Hey, to post pics, no matter how you try to do it, you have to disable rich text first. The only way it's worked for me so far is to save the pics at Photobucket and copy/paste the "embed" code from there to here.

I'll try pasting the url for your image now with rich text disabled and see what happens (but, since it's just a straight up link, I assume it's just going to appear as a link):

http://standingontop.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1242&g2_serialNumber=1

I was cleaning out the Garage

I was cleaning out the Garage and saw an old pair of Mt Bike tired. Width wise they looked good. They are ultra thin except for the traction. they might work. Just a thought if anyone is looking for ultra thin material. A bike tire is tough, it should hold up. The tire isonly about 1 mm thick except where the nobbies are. they can be shaved down in pressure points.

Although there is some wicked tread, they should rock on the trails where BF needs a little help and a lot more traction. Running BF on trails always seems to end up in a fall on slippery mud.

Here is the tread, certainly can trim them down

main.php

And here you can see tehy are wide enough. They just wouldn't weigh anything and with Kevlar, they would never rip.

I found that if I add the

I found that if I add the pictures to a post on "that other forum," I can highlight them and copy them back here. Hee. Thank you "that other forum!"

This baler belting is pretty

This baler belting is pretty substantial (a little too much so, in my feeling). It's nearly 5mm thick and has a woven material (polyester?) in the center layer. I'm pretty sure that this would repel a thorn no problem, but it's just not as flexible as I think any of the Vibram soling is.

You are right the baler belt is somewhat rigid , not very flexible as the vibram cherry sole that I also have.The baler belt has better resistance though to gravel on the trails.The 4mm vibram cherry sole is more flexible and molds better to your feet but it is really a pain to go over a gravel or rocky terrain , but there is no problem with the baler belt huaraches.One of the downside of the baler belt is that the knot that goes between your toes is wearing out too quickly since the baler belt sole is very rigid.On the other hand vibram cherry sole makes an indentation upward between you toes good enough that the knot is sheltered in that recess so the rubing of the knot is minimal or nonexistent I got this indentation after 20miles on vibram sole , but after 50+ miles on the baler belt I had to remake the knot between the toes 4-5 times but no indentation in the sole for protecting the knot yet.I put some duct tape on the knot over the sole but is not working they way I wanted , because after a while the tape and the knot wears out .This is because in part because I only run on trails which is mostly gravel and rocks.I am still thinking for something better to alleviate this inconvenience.

I figure why not have a topic dedicated to these minimalist footwear. I made them and have been pretty happy with them. They are my first minimalist footwear after going barefoot for a while. You can get information how to make them or buy them at barefooted.com or invisibleshoe.com I made my own getting baler belt from a tractor supply store and some shoe laces. They are pretty easy to make, the hardest part of the process for me was how to tie them. But now I can put them on and tie them without a problem.

First of all i found that the best instructions for making huaraches are from invisibleshoe.com.I followed their instruction about tracing the foot punching the holes, and tying the laces.The only difference is that i was cutting the baler belt and vibram cherry with a cutter( utility knife).I found that even the best kitchen scissors will take too much effort and harder to control than the knife. Then I smoothed the cut sole with a disk sander for a neat appearance and to prevent that some serrated edges will tear in the future Some suggestions about the baler belt and vibram cherry sole. huaraches based on my experience:
The baler belt is somewhat rigid , not very flexible as the vibram cherry sole that I also have.The baler belt has better resistance though to gravel on the trails.The 4mm vibram cherry sole is more flexible and molds better to your feet but it is really a pain to go over a gravel or rocky terrain , but there is no problem with the baler belt huaraches.One of the downside of the baler belt is that the knot that goes between your toes is wearing out too quickly since the baler belt sole is very rigid.On the other hand vibram cherry sole makes an indentation upward between you toes good enough that the knot is sheltered in that recess so the rubing of the knot is minimal or nonexistent I got this indentation after 20miles on vibram sole , but after 50+ miles on the baler belt I had to remake the knot between the toes 4-5 times but no indentation in the sole for protecting the knot yet.I put some duct tape on the knot over the sole but is not working they way I wanted , because after a while the tape and the knot wears out .This is because in part because I only run on trails which is mostly gravel and rocks.I am still thinking for something better to alleviate this inconvenience.
I figure why not have a topic dedicated to these minimalist footwear. I made them and have been pretty happy with them. They are my first minimalist footwear after going barefoot for a while. You can get information how to make them or buy them at barefooted.com or invisibleshoe.com I made my own getting baler belt from a tractor supply store and some shoe laces. They are pretty easy to make, the hardest part of the process for me was how to tie them. But now I can put them on and tie them without a problem.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7