Huaraches Running Sandals

Freerunner

Barefooters
May 8, 2010
I figure why not have a topic dedicated to these minimalist footwear. I made them and have been pretty happy with them. They are my first minimalist footwear after going barefoot for a while. You can get information how to make them or buy them at barefooted.com or invisibleshoe.com I made my own getting baler belt from a tractor supply store and some shoe laces. They are pretty easy to make, the hardest part of the process for me was how to tie them. But now I can put them on and tie them without a problem.

If anyone would be willing to

If anyone would be willing to make these and fill orders that the BRS receives for them, please email me at [email protected]. In fact I'm interested in any foot accessories, even temporary tattoos (lots of ideas out there for that). Do we have any craftsmen or artisans out there?

mokaman wrote: Hey

mokaman said:
Hey Freerunner,

How thick is the sole using the baler belt?

I'm not him, but I just bought some at TSC this afternoon, and the stuff I got is about 5mm. It's thicker than I was expecting, but since I've never attempted to make these before, maybe that's not a bad thing. It totally feels like car tire sidewall to me.

I think what norm said is

I think what norm said is the same thing I bought. I saw 2 types one that was really thick and another thinner material which came in two sizes 10 in width and a 4 inch width one. Here is the one I bought. http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/mowing-haying-harvesting/baler-belting-repair/

I went with the 10 inch and bought 2 ft. To make the holes I bought a leather hole puncher at hobby lobby for 4.99, which was basically a cylindrical hole that I hammered into it to make the holes. You might be able to find something around the house that would do the same thing. I heard its best to use a hole puncher as if u cut it with a knife, it could possible tear with future use. I went ahead and bought it because I figure I wanted to make it last longer.

They seem pretty durable enough for me but I've only put them through maybe just 10 miles as I'm a starter barefoot runner so still need to build up mileage before I can take them for a really long distance. Its nothing like running with flip flops other than the flappy sound. No cushion and feels pretty close to barefoot as you can get if u don't mind the flapping noise. For cutting I just used plain scissors, took a while to cut and its not really professional looking but I'm happy with them.

Here is a link to a better pic of my huaraches.

http://www.dailymile.com/people/willie77/entries/1720726

Hi,since it seems to me that

Hi,

since it seems to me that the only place we can post photos is in the personal blongs, have a look at my Huaraches here:

http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/blog-post/my-huarache-projects

I'll try to get a complete step-by-step up soon...

I love these things :)

We're working on the photo

We're working on the photo storage project guys. Should be soon. Thanks for being patient.

Went to my daughters high

Went to my daughters high school choir concert last night, and was totally amazed to see several girls on stage wearing huaraches. They even looked home made! I asked my daughter about them on the way home and she said, "oh yeah. everyone wheres those. We call them Hercules sandals."

Not sure when this happened, but apparently up here in quiet Northern Michigan, there has been a huarche fashion revolution going on right under my nose.

The hippies used to wear them

The hippies used to wear them all the time in the 60s and 70s.

I went for my first run in

I went for my first run in mine today. I wore them on the street while running to the trail, took them off for the trail itself, then put them back on before the 3/4 miles home. The right one was great, but the left was flipping sideways in an irritating way. I thought they were tied the same (slip-on style) before I set out, but I was obviously wrong. I may try the "standard" method before setting out again. Also I'll trim down the edges a little, trying to lighten them up a little, too.

Anyone tried the 4 inch baler

Anyone tried the 4 inch baler belt stuff yet? Otherwise I guess I will be the guinea pig and report back. You can't beat the price on this stuff!

I'm wearing my baler belt

I'm wearing my baler belt huaraches right now. I'm sure the real shoe soling would be better, but these are doing really well so far. I've run a little in them, as well as walking around town and cleaning the kitchen.

Reactions: dranore
I'm wondering if what my

I'm wondering if what my huaraches are made out of is something like that. I bought the chunk on a street corner and it is great stuff, but I did manage to put a small sharp bit of rock through it Wednesday. I kept feeling a pricking feeling and finally stopped to check. It had gone through like a thorn and was picking my foot. I flipped it out with my finger nail and went on, so no big deal, but these soles would not be enough protection in a place with serious thorn issues.

This baler belting is pretty

This baler belting is pretty substantial (a little too much so, in my feeling). It's nearly 5mm thick and has a woven material (polyester?) in the center layer. I'm pretty sure that this would repel a thorn no problem, but it's just not as flexible as I think any of the Vibram soling is.

i was watching a thing on

i was watching a thing on the tarahumara and watched one of them cutting his sandals out of a tire and i really think i want to try the real deal. they'll be a lot thicker but i think there's a coolness to it. gonna be at the farm this weekend and i know there are some old tires in the back....just might come home with some sandals.

Jimmy Hart wrote: i was

Jimmy Hart said:
i was watching a thing on the tarahumara and watched one of them cutting his sandals out of a tire and i really think i want to try the real deal. they'll be a lot thicker but i think there's a coolness to it. gonna be at the farm this weekend and i know there are some old tires in the back....just might come home with some sandals.

If you don't manage the treads this weekend, the baler belting really resembles tire sidewall.

Do you cut the soles out of

Do you cut the soles out of the sidewalls or the tread?