Hi from Oakland/Davis, CA

Efrem

Chapter Presidents
Dec 23, 2011
Hello I'm Efrem. I'm a barefoot runner and some of you may already know me. I've been around for a while but not on BRS. I live in Davis, CA currently. I'm from Oakland and visit there sometimes and I love to run on the trails up there. My favorite trail in the Oakland hills is French Trail. I've run the Oakland Marathon barefoot twice.

I do a fair amount of running in huaraches. I've experimented with a few different designs that I made from bicycle tires and I think I've converged on a pretty good one. I also like the invisible shoes and Ted's Lunas.

As of now I'm running about 50 mpw on average and I feel this is a good training load for now. I log my runs with SportTracks and I really like the Training Load plugin for it. I run with a club called GVH (Golden Valley Harriers) out of Davis, CA.

Hi Efrem, are you the Efrem I see running shirtless in lots of photos? If so, Hi, long time no see. If not, good to have you here anyway. :)

I've been thinking about making some huaraches the way the Tarahumara make theirs, with tire treads. The reason is I had surgery in January on both feet to remove some neuromas (a little gift given to me by shoes, wonderful shoes), and I just haven't gotten back to normal yet. My nerves (and what's left of them) are EXTREMELY sensitive. If I step on a piece of pine straw, it feels like I stepped on a twig. If I step on a crumb, it feels like I stepped on a pebble. If I step on something exactly where the nerves/neuromas used to be, the pain is insane (much more than if the nerves were still present, go figure). The IS huaraches I have (both 4mm and 6mm) are still too thin, and I can feel everything through them, so needless to say, I can't run barefoot, although I long too so badly. I can't wear anything with an enclosed toe either, so it looks like huaraches may be the only way I can run...if I can ever run again. *yes, bring out the fiddles* So I was thinking maybe some authentic Tarahumara tire thread huaraches might work for me, since they are thicker.

You know me, TJ. Too bad about your feet. I hope they heal well. Car tire tread might work for your Huaraches. I've never tried that. I'd wonder about the steal belt in some tires. That would be hard to cut through.
Ted makes some Lunas out of a thick Vibram material too.

Thanks. I thought that was you Efrem. I came across your pictures in my folder the other day and wondered about you, how you were doing.

How thick are his thickest Lunas? I'm sure I can find some rubber tires that don't have the wire in them. What did the Raramuri use?

Hmmmm. 10mm. I wonder if that's thick enough for me. I will see if my hubby can get a spare tire somewhere, without wire. :)

Also, does anyone have any trouble with either Ted's leather lined huaraches or non-leather lined huaraches?

Has anyone ever requested he punch them for the alternative tying method?

Yes, I am afraid at our age, both of us could do to work off some of that spare tire.

Hey Efrem,
Glad to see you over here....
Current have a brother-in-law and soon my sister and niece will be out in Davis
Brother-in-law is doing his masters at UC Davis.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7