First experiance with Chip Seal

janson

Barefooters
Sep 21, 2011
We went camping over the weekend, and the road there was chip seal. I ran 1 1/2 miles on it, and it was a lot different that the smooth asphalt I am used to, but I didn't end up with any blisters, and I got a lot of odd looks
smile.png

That's awsome janson.  I'm

That's awsome janson. I'm not too sure how I would do on chipseal. Not much of it around the Beaverton area. Not much for gravel either other than what gets kicked up onto the sidewalk.

Hey, that's all I got to run

Hey, that's all I got to run on in my town. It's either chip seal or gravel. It's funny how soft chip seal feels after running a mile on gravel. But yeah, it really helps with your form.

Brutal town.

Brutal town.

Chip seal is one of my

Chip seal is one of my favorite things to run on. Not because it feels particularly good, but because the gravel that gets kicked up on it is less noticeable because of the irregularlity of the surface. In oklahoma, with nothing but dust and tiny rocks being kicked around by our wind, chip seal becomes inviting after you've hit a small sharp rock of death on solid pavement.

I'll take acorns and what not anyday over a small rock on a hard smooth surface. But don't get me started on the giant burrs we have around here. They make bare trail runs ridiculously awful with bare feet. I got 8 punctures on my last trail jaunt. Was miserable. Luckily for me, the burrs didn't get too much passed my fat pads. One did draw blood though. Stupid burrs.

We don't have burrs here, but

We don't have burrs here, but we have goatheads, and they are in season right now. You have to watch out for them on the roads, as they often grow on the side of the road. I've got pretty good at avoiding them now.

I don't know what a goathead

I don't know what a goathead is, other than that a goat head, but around here we have the regular pinecones and then these small round spiney bugers (I think they are a type of pinecone????) that hurt like he%@ when stepped on. And they always seem to fall in groups of 50 or more so there really isn't much for avoiding them. They are especially bad on on sidewalks, which is mostly what I run on here. I really hate them and dread one section of road here because it always has a bunch of them.

Holy cow! Those look very

Holy cow! Those look very dangerous. Glad I haven't come across any of those. Those spiney little cones are bad enough. I was in Yosemite a month or so ago and they are there as well. They tore my feet up while I was there.

Yeh, those are what the burrs

Yeh, those are what the burrs around here look like (southern oklahoma). We've always just called em burrs. But they look exactly the same. I had 8 of those in my feet on my last trail jaunt. Not all of them caused noticeable puntures though

Janson, where are you that

Janson, where are you that you have goatheads? i live on the otherside of beaverton from Nick. i live neat Nike and hwy 26. i run alot at forest park and even visit tryon creek once in a while and have never been punctured nor seen one. knock on wood. the oly thing i'm waiting for is all the acorn shells. i guess that's partly my fault since i send my dog chasing all the squirrels.

Mike