Dog Hair

Gidds

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
My husband's labrador sheds approximately 3 beagles, 2 yorkies, and one chihuahua worth of hair every twelve hours. I am very allergic. Dog is banned from the bedroom so it is mostly hair free. My feet are cold. Should I:
a. Stay in the bedroom and put on socks
b. Put on slippers, which are the evil and dread SHOE so I can go in the kitchen
c. Remain barefoot with cold feet and continue to walk back and forth without tracking dog hair into the bedroom

The first question is why are you needing to go in to the kitchen? Are you hungry or is it just warmer there?

If it's just a cold thing, put on socks and stay in the room.
If you're hungry, put on the slippers to get something in the kitchen, then walk back to the room and eat it. Leave the slippers outside the bedroom and only put them on when walking to other parts of the house (sort of like one would in a cleanroom)

I keep stealing potato chips from the kitchen, I'm thirsty, I should be cooking dinner, my parakeets are in the living room past the kitchen and I keep going to check their temp. I am a cheapo and won't turn the heat on until December 1 and my parakeets require some extra warmth so I have a heating pad on their cage.

Ahh...howzabout this: Wear two pairs of socks whilst you're on potato chip/water/dinner cooking/bird heating duty and when you return to your room, take off the outer pair of socks and leave them outside of the room...

As for the 'keets, are you sure that the heating pad is drawing less current than the house heater?

The heating pad is temporary until I get them a radiant heat panel, which I know is low wattage. I've got the electricity bill down to $70. I've already tried vacuuming the dog on a daily basis, he doesn't like it. I will take the two pairs of socks under consideration. Does anybody else have a dog hair problem?

Teetotaler here! Maybe if I wash the dog in the booze I'm not drinking he won't shed as much? Maybe give the dog a beer? Nope, that doesn't work, I've seen hubby give him beer. If I shave the dog I will then have to buy him a coat, which will probably cost more than $70, negating my draconian enforcement of energy saving.

Reactions: NickW
Two pairs of socks won't work, the dog hair'll get through. I vote for the slippers left outside the bedroom door method, though you did say labrador, so can you leave them on the floor, or will you need a high shelf?

Here's my suggestion: Buy a lightweight, rechargable vacuum cleaner; when you walk around the house always run it and push it in front of you. You'll be able to go anywhere in the house in socks without tracking hair.
If your husband has any bit of regard for his lovely wife, he'll occasionally empty the vacuum for you.

Suggestion for a particular model of vacuum? The dog is old, he doesn't chew stuff, although he may try to curl up on the slippers (I hate them, they have memory foam insoles and make my ankles woogle) but I can stick them on top of the dryer, which is right outside the bedroom door. I have specific anti-allergen protocols to keep as much dog hair out of the bedroom as possible and I keep a small folded lawn chair on the pleather couch so he can't sit on it. I try to wash him and brush him regularly but I wear elbow length dish washing gloves to do it and I don't pet him. Of course he is a yellow lab so the hair everywhere is white:rolleyes:

Kirby. But who could afford them?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7