Despite the hoopla...

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
we got about 40 new "Likes/Fans" on our Facebook page in that one week. :cool:

Reactions: zapmamak
Cool! Very biblical number just in time for Lent.

I'm confused.... 40 people on face book like lent?

Is the lent as in, like... Borrowed? As in "I lent my younger brother some used condoms, hopefully he returns them when hes done..."

Or lent a in what I have to clean out of my dryer everyone I do laundry. Our maybe thats lInt... Whatever.

I can top that, Chaser, in the stupidity category, which you know so much of and I rarely venture...

One time, I was riding the elevator at Delta where I worked as a network admin/field service tech, and this guy got on. He looked at me, I looked at him, and I noticed he had something on his forehead. I said, "Excuse me. You have something on your forehead." He just rolls his eyes at me and doesn't say another word and doesn't look at me again. I thought, "How rude!" Then when I got home, I told my husband about this, because I thought the guy looked ridiculous, and I was only trying to do him a favor, and he was rude, so it bothered me, and my Catholic hubby tells me, "It's Lent, you dummy!" I'm like, "What's lent?"

So, enlighten me. What is lent, or do I really want to know.

I'm afraid to say anymore, actually. :oops:

Lent is a religious event practiced mainly by Catholics where they give up something important to them in order to show sacrifice... Of course this is only after Mardi Gras, our Fat Tuesday, where you over indulge in whatever it is that your giving up, be it chocolate, caffeine, or cable TV. Yes, these poor people suffer terribly during this period of time to show their religious dedication...

Oh, and you can't eat meat on Fridays. Unless that meat comes from an ocean dwelling animal...

Oh, and if you dig in the ground on Good Friday (i think all Fridays are good unless your working the weekend) blood will come out of the ground.... True story...

I can't even begin to comprehend how this whore thing came about to be honest. I'm not catholic, nor do I play one on TV. So maybe someone that actually knows WTF their talking about will chime in and correct my uneducated mistakes.

'Lent' is a word derived from a German root, and - originally - meant just 'spring' (the Dutch word for spring is stil 'lente'.) (You can recognise 'lenght'... the days are becoming longer.)
Lent is a period of 40 days between Ash Wednesday (the day after Mardi Gras) and Eastern, when (at least in the past) peoples were fasting to some degree. (As kids, we tried not to eat sweets during that period... Yes, I was raised Catholic)

But probably, this period of fasting had a much older, pre-christian origin, since it is the period that food wasn't abundant anymore... And thus 'fasting' was necessary, and was easier when it had a spiritual byline...

And no meat on Friday's came from the meat being spoiled by the end of the week and spoiled meat is bad.

There is usually ~45 days during the Lenten season so general practice says you are allowed to stray from your sacrifice on Sundays. It's not just a Catholic thing either. Lutherans and Methodists also practice it.

Speaking of putting your foot in it . . .

I accidentally wished a Jewish lawyer who was a client of ours (and a really nice fellow, so he probably took it well) a good Good Friday once on a voice mail message.

Okay, a few thoughts on all this lent stuff. One, I didn't know Mardi Gras was a Catholic thing, just thought it was the Devil's/Dead's party; and two, any meat I leave out is bad by the end of the day, let alone the end of the week; and three, oh, you all have it so bad that you have to give up chocolate, so we'll let you have it on Sundays. Not to offend, but aren't there more important things in the world God cares about than this?

And on a voice mail message, Sara, for posterity's sake! Perfect! Ha!

This year, I gave up giving things up for lent.

Now THAT I can understand.

Well, my intention was good, I'm falling back on that (smiley face intended, but not inserted here, they creep me out).
Most of life is about a good intention though isn't it?

How about this Smiley --> :barefoot: He can't possibly creep you out. He's barefoot! And oh so cute and cuddly too!

I am a Methodist and practice Lent. Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesdays are days of partying that have nothing to do with the actual Lent. The idea of gorging yourself on what you can't have is actually antithetical to the idea of Lent. The idea to me is a 40 period to renew myself in preparation for Easter. I typically give up something I find to be harmful in my life at the time and replace that time with more bible reading and spiritual time or charity work - or both. It is a beneficial time in my secular life as well usually. The idea of fasting came from the story of Jesus fasting 40 days before beginning his religious teachings where he endured temptations by Satan.
For me this year I have been on facebook way too much. So I gave it up. It has been a positive thing in my life.

Not trying to convert anyone or say my beliefs are the right way, but they work for me and it was asked...

It usually works out to be a pretty cool time of renewal.

TJ- as far as are there more important things God cares about... while avoiding a discussion on my beliefs in Gods interactions in the world, if you take it as what the intent is - a time for people to renew themselves and give to charity and their fellow man (or woman) more, I can't think of much more important.

Exactly my point. Take that time to sacrifice of one's self to give to others, not to avoid chocolate, caffeine, nonsense like that. I'm sure the true meaning is what is important, and for those who believe, should remember that.

So does blood really come out of the ground on Good Friday?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts