Blister On Medial Side Of Ball Of Foot

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I did my longest run yet tonight (10 min - woohoo) and I have a sore spot (Raw - skin is kind of rubbed away. I assume it would become a blister if I went longer) on the very inside (medial side) of the ball of my foot. It's right where the bottom surface of the foot starts to curve up and start forming the side of the foot. It's right at the big toe joint.

I kind of have bunions. In another post I commented my wife said I do - but my podiatrist says they're "mild".

I read some of Jason's info at BRU and he says blisters on the ball of the foot are from overstriding. Any comments here about the location I describe and what sort of form issue this indicates?

Thanks.

Jim

That sounds like pushing off

That sounds like pushing off or "pawing" to me, unless you're going up hill. Over striding will usually fatigue the shin muscle and calves very quickly. You'll know if you're not landing under your center of gravity. You'll feel more like you're pulling yourself forward than putting down and picking up your feet.

10min! Good for you for taking it slow! That was sooooo hard for me not to go till something started to hurt! Eventually, you won't get any blisters and the only thing that will be sore are the muscles in your feet and your legs.

-Jonny

Jonny: I think you are

Jonny:

I think you are spot-on. I went out today and paid a lot more attention to that foot. (It's actually the other foot which has given me *tons* of problems. Consequently, as I've been getting into barefooting in general I've paid more attention to that side and it now appears neglected the "good" side.)

I think I was pushing off. I went a little farther today than the other day when it aggravated me - and it's not bothering me now. (Well - a teensy weensy bit.) I noticed if I didn't really pay attention I had a tendency to push off.

Man - I am so bought into this go-barefoot-to-get-to-minimalist thing. I've had a number of form errors that real barefoot told me of imediately. And the great part is the recovery time from those little incidents is almost 0.

Jim

That's awesome, Jim!  It's a

That's awesome, Jim! It's a great feeling with it all comes together! I remember how rought concrete and rain grooves felt on my first barefoot run. Now, normal concrete feels soft and smooth to my soles and rain groves are the only thing that scratch my itch when I'm dying to get some miles in! Keep it up! You're doing great!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7